Not mastering...not likely

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmb737

Refugee
99.99998774 percent of the time the ENGINEER that did the album is not allowed to be present or take part in the mastering process. The artist being involved is even less. Mastering is done by an impartial and usually completely fresh set of ears to the material and often has nothing to do with the rest of the process.

From the reports of Bono throwing songs away with the pizza boxes, that seems to mean that they are finished...but not nearly finished. I would be willing to bet that they are finished tracking. Or at least for the most part. They probably have months of mixing and then mastering (which can take only a few days if it has to) and then duplication.

Prediction: September release.

Go Red Sox...right about the time they will be beating the hell out of the Yankees.

Nah, U2 is done with their album. It's time to party and draw up plans for a tour. People are so concerned that they have not heard news about a single...in 1986-87, U2 did not release any info about a single until late December ' 86 and early January '87. And that was even changed last minute (they first chose Red Hill Mining Town as the single then switched it to With or Without You). So I still am going with a March release.

You, cmb737 are correct about the mastering process...no doubt.

If the album is finished right now (at least the recording part), then there is no reason why we shouldn't expect a March/April release. If the tour is to begin in the fall, they'll probably want to release it in the spring, and promote the shit out of it during the next summer. Don't worry....the album will come out in a few months. SWEET

I wouldnt be shocked to know that album is finished/completed/cooked/canned. But I'd be really shocked to know that lyrics are finished as well.

ishkash said:
I wouldnt be shocked to know that album is finished/completed/cooked/canned. But I'd be really shocked to know that lyrics are finished as well.

:lmao:

so true. b talks the most about the album, but he may very well still have some last minute writing of all the lyrics to do. :wink:

Actually, according to Bono and Adam both, the band's portion of work on the album is done. I think that the mixing and mastering is all that is left to do.

I think we can all agree that they are done recording, it's been documented even by word of mouth from the band to fans.

Albums released by the major labels ALL typically are released approx 90 days after the masters go to the label.

In order for a September release you are surmizing that it would take SEVEN MONTHS to mix and master and the masters would go to the label in June of next year.

As a matter of fact, what they are doing now is almost certainly mixing. Even on albums, such as 'Dark Side of the Moon', which was among the most difficult albums ever to mix (mixed by Chris Thomas, nonetheless), the time needed to mix wasn't REMOTELY that long. Mastering is not a difficult process on a supposed "straight forward rock album". The most difficult task in recording processes is actually recording the material. Which is done.

Daniel Lanois was brought in to the studios in the first week of November. I think it's safe to say that this was the tail end of the recording process and he was just lending a fresh ear. According to the fans on PLEBA who actually talked to members of the band, Adam said the album was "cooked" or "done" a few weeks ago, which means they are already mixing.

Duplication is often times part of the 90 day window that it takes to prepare the album for mass delivery and production.

I can try to find a documented example of how long it should take to mix and master a typical U2 album, but I guarantee you it's not near as long as you predict.

Translation: The album will be in our hands by April, you can count on it.

cmb737 said:

Prediction: September release.

i predicted sept 2nd in another thread, people who think it's gonna be a march/april release are dreaming

EVIDENCE of the 90 day window from the POP sessions.

http://www.canoe.ca/MusicArtistsU2/nov28_u2.html

"After a series of seemingly endless delays,
U2 has finished recording, mixing, and sequencing
its breathlessly awaited new album and is currently
mastering the disc for release on March 4."

End of November '96-U2 are done recording, mixing
and currently mastering POP.
December '96
January '97
February '97
March '97-album is released

They were mastering that album in December and it was released 3 months later.

If recording is done, and it appears to be, then mixing would likely not take longer than a month or so. For the sake of argument we'll say 6 weeks. Which would put us right at the the end of January 2004. Now, draw the correlation to the POP sessions.

I can post a similar timeline and link for the ATYCLB sessions because the timelines parallel. The mastering for POP had to have been completed by early January because Discotheque hit the radio on Jan 17th. (A period of about 6 weeks from the reports in the link above)

If U2 are at the exact same point for the NEW ALBUM on January 28th, 2004, that they were for POP on November 28th, 1996. Then why do people assume that the wait will be 4 months longer than POP, which HAD ALREADY been delayed.

You people are looking for a delay that is not there. This album recording has run the same course as at least the last 2, nothing surprising really.

Let me put it this way. If U2 are not done recording the album, then I retract what I have said. I am under the assumption, which has been reported by several sources, that they are finished.

If you assume they are done recording, then someone show me where and why it would take an additional 9 months to put the album out. Zooropa was mixed, mastered and RELEASED to the public 2 MONTHS after recording. Granted that album is an exception to the typical U2 recording sessions.

Bono and Edge did a chat in, I believe June 2000, where they stated they had just finished recording the new album. As you know, or should know, the album was out 4 months later.

You can say that the timelines are an abberation if it happened once or twice but with U2 (Zooropa excepted) the band has a track record and history of following a regiment. Look at the releases of the band. All of them (Zooropa excepted) have been released in 2 months spans in fall and spring. March and Oct/Nov.

Do you think it's conincidence or do you think that it's possible that the band had scheduled themselves this way. Is it a coincidence that recording for this album has been finished right BEFORE the holiday season? It's awful convienient.

Basically all I am trying to say is that there is no reason to expect such a delay (Sept release) unless the band are truly not done recording. I think we will get some real concrete, hard news after the album is mixed, tracked, sequenced etc. If I were to bet I'd guess that it will be done by the end of January. I'd expect an announcement in late January of some sort, possibly even a release date for the album.

IMO The album has already been tracked, I think this is why Daniel Lanois went to the studio. I think most people were put off or smelling delay because Bono said that they had hoped to get it out before the end of 2003, some reports even said Summer 2003. Watch what the band do, not what Bono predicts. They didn't even bring a producer in until April 2003. There was no reason to think the album was going anywhere until then.

Finally, I also read an article (I'll try to find it) that said Lanois and Eno joined U2 in the studio in October 1999 to begin recording what ended up being ATYCLB which was released almost exactly a year later. Thomas joined with U2 in April 2003. I'm not saying that means anything more than just another in a long line of "coincidences" or if you view it as I do, work history.

One more

Celtic Soul Brothers (Edge Chats About New Album)

New Musical Express, June 08, 2000

U2 guitarist the Edge has provided a fresh insight into what fans can expect from the band's forthcoming album, by claiming that "soul is the key element above anything."

In an online interview with www.burst.com, hosted by U2 fan site www.atu2.com, the Edge also said they were toying with the idea of using samples and there would be "different sounds than what we've ever used before, different arrangement styles and...just a lot of experimentation."

But fans will have a long wait before they hear the results for themselves as the album is still some way from completion.

"I think that as with any U2 record, it is such an organic process -- it's changing week by week and I think that it's gonna be a record that people play a lot.

-------------------------------------------------------
So as you can see that on June 8th, 2000 they were not even done recording yet.

The album was out 4 months later.

did anybody really view atyclb as experimental with different sounds they haven't used?

just goes to show you you have to take everything they say while developing an album with a grain of salt, as im sure it does change, and one thing they say earlier on about the album may not neceserraily be true in the final product.

and why is everyone so certain that the album is indeed already finished?

Originally posted by Chizip and why is everyone so certain that the album is indeed already finished? [/B]

two quotes:

1) Adam recently saying the album is "nearly cooked" (See Band Meetings and Sightings Folder)

2) and this from Uncut magazine: "U2 have completed the main recording sessions for their next album, scheduled for release early in 2004, at a secret studio on the French Riveira. Guitarist The Edge summed up the new record, as yet untitled, as "raw rock'n'roll....a band in its primary colours of guitar, bass, drums, voice and a lot of vitality and energy"

i know that it's not neccessarily set in stone until we hear some sort of official statement, but i think we all feel that it's a safe bet to assume that they are done recording, and are now having it mixed/mastered.

Last edited:
Also, we know Anton Corbijn did photos and said the album comes out in May. McGuiness said the album could be done by Christmas. And O'Herlihy said tour starts May or September depending on album release. (as we know from previous U2 history, there is often a gap between album release and tour start)

There's been plenty of bits out there to prove they are done-or very close to the end- of recording.

Q Magazine also had that blurb in their latest issue... it doesn't say much, but it does claim the album will be released this March.

i wish they'd throw us a bone... anything. an update at u2.com perhaps.. "band has completed work on their 12th studio album, blah blah"

that would make me happy

u2.com........udates??

That's hilarious. They'll put up something about the new album about a week after it's released. The tour will have begun before they announce the dates.

Back
Top Bottom