Nooooo!!! U2 backed down from the Hanover fight!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
http://www.canada.com/ottawa/story.asp?id={E96C747E-D3E4-435D-A89C-65D2A281B8A8}

Rock group U2 backs down in fight over Dublin recording studio

Canadian Press

Wednesday, January 30, 2002DUBLIN (AP) - U2 is giving way in a battle to save its Dublin recording studios from being pulled to the ground.

After submitting written objections Tuesday to the redevelopment of their Hanover Quay site, the band said it would join in talks with the Dublin Docklands Development Authority.

"Although they are very happy in their present studio, and would very much like to stay, they appreciate that change is inevitable and often for the best," band members said in a statement.

The millionaire rock musicians initially argued that the musical heritage of their Hanover Quay site should be enough to save it from being demolished to transform the area into a major new leisure development.

They cited the multimillion-dollar record sales and musical heritage that have resulted from their use of the Hanover Street premises, in the south of the city, since 1994. They have been recording in the docklands area since the early 1980s.

In its written submission to the planning board, the band argued that their studio deserved preservation as an element in the "recognized music-recording heritage of the area."

"The recording studio of an internationally acclaimed Irish rock band fits this profile and would complement any objective of the Authority to convert the area to an amenity space with leisure and entertainment uses," it added.

frown.gif

------------------
"It's all about drums."

Proud owner of the mofoin Discoboos (boom cha!) and Larry's stick...hehe.

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

Well, I'm sad to see it go...I visited there once and it is a shrine! But actually, they are very selfless indeed if they are willing to back down for the betterment of their city.

no they havent, their solicitor was fighting hard today. he said they had spent time recording new material this month. they wvent given up yet. signing the petition will either save the studio or get them the deal they want ;-) http://www.saveU2studio.com

------------------
Fino

Back
Top Bottom