None of us know U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
...and none of us know what goes through their minds when they're making records and deciding what to put on an album and that kind of thing. We don't. We don't know why they went all-out avante-garde experimental for a whole decade after being an anthemic rock band for the previous decade, and we don't know why they have returned to a classic rock sound and left the 90s style behind. We can all speculate, and we DO all speculate. But none of us are in any position to state anything as fact.

You know what I'd really love? If all four U2 members sat down with any esteemed rock journalist(if you can think of any by all means name them) for an all-out interview disussing their music and their decisions concerning their music from 1978 to 2004. Televise it. And let it be just the band talking about the evolution of their music. None of the usual bono party lines about 'being a band in a room again' or making fun of the lemon and arch or any of that. Just the four of them candidly discussing exactly why they went in this direction or that. I think it would a truly interesting watch for anyone who likes/loves music.

That would be truly outstanding if it were actually to happen....which, as we all know, is FAR less than likely. In addition to that, though, I can't even think of anybody who would be up to the task--someone who would ask cutting, incisive questions without feeling uneasy about the stature of the band. Nobody that I can think of in the industry could do that, as you alluded to in your initial post. It's fun to dream, though, isn't it? If something like this could happen, I'd be really happy...U2 is very rarely candid, these days...

I think some things are better left to the imagination. If we knew everything there is to know about U2, there would be nothing left to discover and wonder about.

I haven't read much music "journalism" in the past 20 years or so, so it's entirely possible I completely missed it, but has U2 really discussed how they create their music and or albums? I don't even need a really detailed breakdown, but it would be interesting to know.

I love hearing a little bit about how the music is made. For instance one of my current favorite albums was created with one guy putting down the music tracks and sending the file to another continent for the other guy to listen to, write lyrics, and put down vocal tracks (and he usually wrote the lyrics right before recording the vocal).

But stuff like that really adds to the enjoyment of the disc for me.

I don't think I'd want to know all the ins and outs of U2. I think knowing their thoughts and processes would ruin songs that are important in my life and ruin their mystique.

I was upset enough when I found out that Stuck In A Moment was dedicated to Michael Hutchence.

You can learn a lot about the way they think and what they go through making a new record in Bill Flanagan´s book U2: at the end of the world. Is an excellent book, if you are a die hardo U2 fan you will love it.

After watching the DVD, I get the feeling U2 works like many other collaborative bands do - even my own band. Everyone looks to somebody (like a Bono) to kind of direct the arrangements, try different things (like when the drums come in), and eventually work towards an agreement.

All bands need a leader, a musical theorist, a political officer, and a fan.

Sometimes it doesn't take a genius to figure out their actions.

For example, why do you think they released different single versions of a number of POP songs, and for the three that made it to the Best Of Collection, they actually did new mixes of them? Would this have to do with why Bono called it "unfinished" and Larry too?

Sometimes, album track selections are no brainers. Sometimes you CAN make it on your own when guessing U2 songs and motives.

Cheers,

J

Also, I wouldn't want to meet them in person as I have a fear that their real life personas would not match my expectations, which is why I try not to read every little scrap of info about them.

My friend met Bono and she felt deflated by the experience. I don't want that to happen to me.

Back
Top Bottom