Non-album songs in Rate The Song series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think very many remixes should be done at all, but the versions I posted of Lady, Even Better, Walk On, and Elevation are all totally different takes. However, we don't need to do all the versions of Crazy Tonight. I really don't know. There's only about 10 remixes total that I see fit to vote on. By that, I mean that they are different enough from the original version, that the band had to record new parts.

I'm fairly against including remixes, mainly because they're generally not created by U2. LWTSH is a possible exception, but it's also not *really* that different than the UV1 mix. However, if I see overwhelming sentiment in favor of remixes, I'm willing to reconsider.
imo i don't think we should have remixes included. even for lwtsh, i guarantee you if you make just one round for the song as a whole, all but one or two people will be voting based off the remix. most seem to prefer this version and will welcome the ability to vote for which one they prefer the most. i do think i remember a couple people saying they preferred the original but hey, they can vote based off the original. it's like with bad - most think it's better live, but there didn't need to be separate rounds for it studio vs. live.

KhanadaRhodes said:
imo i don't think we should have remixes included. even for lwtsh, i guarantee you if you make just one round for the song as a whole, all but one or two people will be voting based off the remix. most seem to prefer this version and will welcome the ability to vote for which one they prefer the most. i do think i remember a couple people saying they preferred the original but hey, they can vote based off the original. it's like with bad - most think it's better live, but there didn't need to be separate rounds for it studio vs. live.

This is generally how I feel too, I think. Regarding both remixes and quasi-re-recordings. Sweetest Thing is an exception because of the decade between recording the two versions. I suppose EBTTRT would fit that too, but on the actual release of the new remix, vocals and most instrumentals are still from 1991.

Every single unofficial remix on every single fruitleg I can find will be rated.

Why not include all the covers while we're at it!

Oh, and all the covers of U2 songs done by others!

And better include all the live songs just for good measure.

And the duets are a must.

Not including Spiderman, the Mission Impossible Theme and Bono's stellar version of "Can't Help Falling in Love" from Honeymoon Vegas would be a crime against humanity.

And we might as well rate all songs by bands with a "U" or "2" in their name as well!!!

Why stop there? How about any band that's ever sung about lemons, mentioned lemons, eaten lemons, or even had lemon in their water?

...and the big question....WHY STOP AT LEMONS?!

Digitize, I noticed another thing. With the more known songs, there's many more votes than with the b-sides. Is that going to count for the final results as well? Because I have the feeling many people don't vote for these songs as they either don't know or don't care for them, which could make their grades turn out much higher on average by just tallying the votes.

I came up with a formula that factors this in, and I tried ranking the songs using it. I'm not sure how much I like it. I may tweak it, and I may or may not include rankings derived from it on the final PDF that I distribute (it definitely will not be what comes up with the primary overall ranks, though).

Galeongirl said:
:D Sweet!

But seriously do you have a job in maths/statistics? :lol: You're damn good at this stuff.

Nope, I'm just a nerdy college kid. But I hope to be an economist someday, so I suppose it fits.

I think it's a little funny, people worrying about whether their personal favourite songs do well, or not so well, in the "rankings", to the point where they want Dig to do a statistical adjustment on the results. To dislike a song, or group of songs, to the point where you're worried they might be "ranked" high? This is all just for fun, right? I'm pretty sure none of this is official and U2 isn't going to be using it to determine which tracks will go on some future compilation. It's also a bit presumptuous to assume why, how, and whether people vote for different songs. As Dig said, everyone uses their own criteria, and it should be left at that.

In any event, out of what, thousands of Interference members, a few dozen at most are participating in these polls? I see that Streets, arguably U2's most popular song, has less than 60 votes. As great, and fun, as these polls are, that's not a big enough sample to be indicative of much of anything other than the preference of those who participated the poll.

I don't care about the "rankings", and probably wont even look at them. A song I like, or don't like, doing well or poorly has absolutely no bearing on anything. It's fun voting, and talking about the songs. Isn't that the whole point?

digitize said:
Nope, I'm just a nerdy college kid. But I hope to be an economist someday, so I suppose it fits.

You've got a future ahead of ya, kid. Love what you're doing with all of this. Wish I had a head for numbers.

I don't care about the "rankings", and probably wont even look at them. A song I like, or don't like, doing well or poorly has absolutely no bearing on anything. It's fun voting, and talking about the songs. Isn't that the whole point?

Actually, the whole point is to make me look intelligent. :wink:

Actually, the whole point is to make me look intelligent. :wink:

:applaud::lol::up:

Ha! Sounds like something I would say. You do have a future ahead of you kid. And get the statistical adjustment thing down and you just might have a future at the Census Bureau. :)

Seriously, amazing work on creating these and compiling the results. I certainly couldn't do it, I'm not nearly good enough with numbers. You've obviously got a knack for it, and one of the best things in life is to take something you're naturally good at and apply it to something you love. Greatness is made such ways.

I do think, however, that since you have 0 as a poll option, that you should also allow certain songs to up to 11. :)

I do think, however, that since you have 0 as a poll option, that you should also allow certain songs to up to 11. :)

My natural inclination was to do a scale of 1 to 10 (or, if I wanted to be a true nerd, I could have done 0 to 9), instead of 0 to 10. I only did 0 to 10 because that's what the last incarnation of the series did, even though that's eleven answer choices.

My natural inclination was to do a scale of 1 to 10 (or, if I wanted to be a true nerd, I could have done 0 to 9), instead of 0 to 10. I only did 0 to 10 because that's what the last incarnation of the series did, even though that's eleven answer choices.

Yeah....the thing is, even with the songs I really dislike or have no use for, I'd never give them anything below a 1. "0" pretty much is saying the song is completely worthless, without any intrinsic value whatsoever (what else can 0 mean) and I'd be reluctant to say that about almost any work of art, including obviously a U2 song. Even U2's worst song has some value.

But yeah, that ship's already sailed, at least for this series of polls.

Right now, I'm looking at this list for 90s non-album songs:

Alex Descends into Hell for a Bottle of Milk/Korova 1
Lady with the Spinning Head
Salomé
Where Did It All Go Wrong?
Slow Dancing
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Viva Davidoff
Holy Joe
North and South of the River
I'm Not Your Baby
Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad
Sweetest Thing (new version)
Blow Your House Down
Heaven And Hell
Oh Berlin
Near The Island
Down All The Days
Everybody Loves A Winner

That's eighteen songs by my count, or pretty much exactly the perfect amount for three rounds. Am I missing anything? This was literally everything I could find/remember, so I'm willing to add stuff. However, what I may do if a lot is added is break Original Soundtracks 1 up into three rounds (since it's a rather long album anyway) and move some 90s non-album songs into its third round.

Also, before anyone asks, my intention is to not have separate rounds for the two versions of LWTSH. Vote based on either or both or whatever.

don't forget bottoms! :lol:

for slow dancing, do we pick which version of the song we prefer and vote on that, btw?

Regarding Bottoms, I wasn't planning on including it because I consider it a version of Zoo Station. I'm willing to add it if it's so desired, though.

Regarding Slow Dancing, I suppose so. I don't know if I've ever listened to any version of the song, honestly.

Regarding Slow Dancing, I suppose so. I don't know if I've ever listened to any version of the song, honestly.
What??? It's one of their best songs of the period (I'm speaking of the 1993 B-side, or the 1989 live version -- the less said about the Willie Nelson version, the better!). That song is better than 80% of Zooropa.

Regarding Bottoms, I wasn't planning on including it because I consider it a version of Zoo Station. I'm willing to add it if it's so desired, though.

Bottoms is almost a better version of Zooropa if that is at all possible, imo. As far as Slow Dancing goes, it's a pretty decent b-side. I definitely recommend giving it a listen if you haven't heard it yet.

KhanadaRhodes said:
:tsk: oh digitize. the 1993 version of slow dancing is great, though as numbers said the less said about the willie nelson version, the better.

I'll listen to it someday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom