Non-album songs in Rate The Song series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I think I'm going to add another round of voting for these songs, which means adding more of them. The reason I didn't want to include every single non-album song was because I thought I would be wasting Interference's time with songs like, say, Jack In The Box - songs that, to be honest, I don't think many of us care about. However, it's pretty obvious to me that a very large portion of Interference seems to care about a lot of these songs, as partially evidenced by how high the scores are on the TUF-TJT-R&H non-album tracks right now. So that's my rationale. What songs should I add?

what's always been done in the past for these rounds is songs would be included if they met the following criteria:
- a u2 song (so nothing off captive, no billy boola, etc.)
- officially released (used to be more cut and dry but now this can include the demos off that itunes box set)

so stuff like street mission and be there wouldn't count in this criteria, and it helps eliminate a lot of songs, especially since not everyone's heard all the demos. but of course i'm not telling you how to run it or anything, just saying what's been done before. :)

He's basically hit every non album song I can think of. Other than the ones I mentioned earlier, and all of the extra stuff in the remastered editions, AND some songs they play live, and some stuff from the fruitlegs, and all of the demos out there, I got nothing that anyone really 'knows'.

I'm pretty sure what you have up Digi is what everybody knows.

Alright, I think I'm going to add another round of voting for these songs, which means adding more of them. The reason I didn't want to include every single non-album song was because I thought I would be wasting Interference's time with songs like, say, Jack In The Box - songs that, to be honest, I don't think many of us care about. However, it's pretty obvious to me that a very large portion of Interference seems to care about a lot of these songs, as partially evidenced by how high the scores are on the TUF-TJT-R&H non-album tracks right now. So that's my rationale. What songs should I add?

-Deep in the Heart (obviously)
-Silver and Gold (both studio versions...they're quite different)
-Spanish Eyes
-Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience
-Hallelujah (Here She Comes)
-Desert of Our Love
-Rise Up
-Sweetest Thing (Original)
-Wave of Sorrow
-Yoshino Blossom
-A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel

Not suggesting these because I like them all (a few are clunkers), but because I think it would be interesting to see the polled. I also think they're relevant because they're not just random b-sides from the era, they're songs chosen by U2 specifically to re-release to us via the deluxe remasters and compilation albums, so obviously they think they have some worth.

Some of those are already listed, but I'll add the others. Except for the Sun City version of Silver and Gold, as it's not actually a U2 song.

Digitize, I noticed another thing. With the more known songs, there's many more votes than with the b-sides. Is that going to count for the final results as well? Because I have the feeling many people don't vote for these songs as they either don't know or don't care for them, which could make their grades turn out much higher on average by just tallying the votes.

Digitize, I noticed another thing. With the more known songs, there's many more votes than with the b-sides. Is that going to count for the final results as well? Because I have the feeling many people don't vote for these songs as they either don't know or don't care for them, which could make their grades turn out much higher on average by just tallying the votes.
I think Digitize will be going off of percentages rather than total vote count. But still, the votes could turn out skewed. I think some common sense will have to be added.

For example, Streets had 59 votes. 49 were for a 10.
Bad had 50 votes. 37 were for a 10.

I think it's safe to say that no matter what, these are the highest 2 scoring songs so far. And as a matter of fact, they'll probably stay as the highest 2 for the duration of the game.

Yeah they're the highest, but it surprised me that there's so many high grades for so much filler music now. So it'd be weird to have them in the same rank as decent U2 singles.

I expect bad and streets to end up on top yeah. Perhaps followed closely by Acrobat, but seeing the amount of 90s lovers on here has diminished over the years, I don't see it happening sadly.

Galeongirl said:
I expect bad and streets to end up on top yeah. Perhaps followed closely by Acrobat, but seeing the amount of 90s lovers on here has diminished over the years, I don't see it happening sadly.

Acrobat will get a 9 from me, for sure. Actually, everything on Achtung Baby will get at least a 9 from me, except for So Cruel and TTTYAATW, and those two will still get a 7 or 8.

I'm about the same, lol. Though I do think So Cruel is a 9 or 10, not sure yet. And One would get a 8 or 9. The only 'lesser' song to me is TTYAATW. Still a 7 or 8 tho.

The amount of 90s lovers has dropped? Achtung Baby and Zooropa both did tremendously well in the album ranking thing a while back, the latter much better than I anticipated.

I've grown to accept that this site will never entirely embrace Passengers because we all have different reasons for listening to U2, and that criteria often does not involve Passengers. There are also the troglodytes that don't take it seriously because the cover doesn't have U2 written on it, but that's neither here nor there.

If U2 made it why couldn't it be counted? Not all of the Passengers album is tolerable and there is a dark humor to some of it, but it was a largely gambled experimental and it's still by U2 no matter what way you look at it. We voted R&H didn't we...

If U2 made it why couldn't it be counted? Not all of the Passengers album is tolerable and there is a dark humor to some of it, but it was a largely gambled experimental and it's still by U2 no matter what way you look at it. We voted R&H didn't we...

I agree. Some people may consider these songs (the JT/TUF b-sides) to be filler or Muzak, or really not worthy, but considering how well they're regarded on this site, I think there's no reason they shouldn't be considered right along the mainstream releases. And since were not just rating "singles" here, but the entire catalogue, considering that most of these b-sides have now been formally released in the deluxe remasters and compilation albums, they should be judged alongside anything else. I think you could create a disc of TUF & JT era b-sides that's equal to or better than half their studio catalogue. But that's just my opinion and everyone can vote...but apparently a lot of folks love these tracks as much as I do.

If I were conducting these polls, Passengers would absolutely be rated. It's a U2 album, no matter what the cover says. Eno & Lanois involvement and participation doesn't make it any less a U2 record than NLOTH. But, yes, it's technically not a U2 record, and the argument for skipping it is as good as the one to include it. So I could totally understand if Dig skipped this one, it's his show and he's doing a great job w/it. Our is not to question methodology. :)

I will say there is merit to looking at the %, rather than pure numbers of votes each song is getting (which I'm sure is what Dig is doing), so I really don't see the problem in stacking all the songs against each other. As Dig says, everyone uses their own criteria for voting.

As far as the 90's material goes, I expect AB at least to to do as well, if not better, than anything else being rated. There's not a bad track on that album.

I agree. Some people may consider these songs (the JT/TUF b-sides) to be filler or Muzak, or really not worthy, but considering how well they're regarded on this site, I think there's no reason they shouldn't be considered right along the mainstream releases. And since were not just rating "singles" here, but the entire catalogue, considering that most of these b-sides have now been formally released in the deluxe remasters and compilation albums, they should be judged alongside anything else.

I've been a U2 fan since War, have seen every tour since TUF (except Lovetown), andI think you could create a disc of TUF & JT era b-sides that's equal to or better than half their studio catalogue. But that's just my opinion and everyone can vote...but apparently a lot of folks love these tracks as much as I do.

If I were conducting these polls, Passengers would absolutely be rated. It's a U2 album, no matter what the cover says. Eno & Lanois involvement and participate ndoesn't make it any less a U2 record than NLOTH. But, yes, it's technically not a U2 record, so I could totally understand if Dig skipped this one. It's his show and he's doing a great job w/it.

I will say there is merit to looking at the %, rather than pure numbers of votes each song is getting (which I'm sure is what Dig is doing), so I really don't see the problem in stacking all the songs against each other. As Dig says, everyone uses their own criteria for voting.

As far as the 90's material goes, I expect AB at least to to do as well, if not better, than anything else being rated. There's not a bad track on that album.

About the '90s I agree about AB winning alot of votes, possibly Zooropa will as well. I think when everything will go downhill as far as 'who likes what' is when we get to Pop.

I've loved U2 avidly since 2004, so I can can laugh at the remark made in another thread that I've only experienced one U2 release, but I have knowledge about almost every U2 song that is out there. Remixes can be excluded entirely, so I think if it is a solid song, 'demo' or anything that can be classified as a U2 song, I personally would rate it.

What I think is happening is the simple fact that people aren't looking into U2's entire music history. And also people are voting on what others have voted (for whatever reason).

But I love what your doing Digi by having an individual vote for these songs, and I'm just trying to shed light on the 'undesirables' of U2 songs.

Great job! :applaud:

About the '90s I agree about AB winning alot of votes, possibly Zooropa will as well. I think when everything will go downhill as far as 'who likes what' is when we get to Pop.

I've loved U2 avidly since 2004, so I can can laugh at the remark made in another thread that I've only experienced one U2 release, but I have knowledge about almost every U2 song that is out there. Remixes can be excluded entirely, so I think if it is a solid song, 'demo' or anything that can be classified as a U2 song, I personally would rate it.

What I think is happening is the simple fact that people aren't looking into U2's entire music history. And also people are voting on what others have voted (for whatever reason).

But I love what your doing Digi by having an individual vote for these songs, and I'm just trying to shed light on the 'undesirables' of U2 songs.

Great job! :applaud:

Yeah...I agree, no reason to rate the remixes. That would be a waste of time. A LOT of time, since there's probably more remixes than original songs.

I've loved U2 avidly since 2004, so I can can laugh at the remark made in another thread that I've only experienced one U2 release, but I have knowledge about almost every U2 song that is out there.

Impressive. Most impressive. I've been a fan since War, and I can say with certainty that I don't know every U2 song out there...I'm sure there's stuff out there that I either haven't heard, or heard once and forgotten.

I think the elitism shown towards newer fans is absolutely absurd. A fan who came long with ATYCLB, or Bomb, or even NLOTH is as valid as a fan who was at the Mt. Temple school show pre-Boy. Maybe moreso, because they had to go back to discover all those great songs after they came and went on the radio.

Yeah...I agree, no reason to rate the remixes. That would be a waste of time. A LOT of time, since there's probably more remixes than original songs.
I agree with this, with the exception of the Extended Dance Remix of Lady With the Spinning Head. That is too phenomenal to not vote on.

Yes, this is definitely an issue that I've been thinking about. My plan was to not really release one absolute list of which songs are best, but to provide multiple lists based on different criteria. Perhaps the most important of those has songs ranked just by mean. However, I also came up with a formula using the mean and the standard deviation to assess a song's "reliability", where, for instance, a song with just two 7s would rank higher than a song with a 6 and an 8, and I was planning on also releasing ranks based on that (as well as on standard deviation alone, which actually has a fairly strong correlation to mean). However, I may cook up another formula to factor in mean, standard deviation, and number of votes and rank all of the songs by that as well.

This is my new list of songs:

Disappearing Act
Love Comes Tumbling
The Three Sunrises
Bass Trap
Sixty Seconds In Kingdom Come
Boomerang I
Boomerang II
Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
Walk to the Water
Spanish Eyes
Silver and Gold
Drunk Chicken/America
Sweetest Thing (original version)
Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
Hallelujah Here She Comes
A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
She's a Mystery To Me
Deep in the Heart
Beautiful Ghost/Introduction to Songs of Experience
Desert of Our Love
Rise Up
Yoshino Blossom

I'm willing to add a song or three, so let me know.

Yes, this is definitely an issue that I've been thinking about. My plan was to not really release one absolute list of which songs are best, but to provide multiple lists based on different criteria. Perhaps the most important of those has songs ranked just by mean. However, I also came up with a formula using the mean and the standard deviation to assess a song's "reliability", where, for instance, a song with just two 7s would rank higher than a song with a 6 and an 8, and I was planning on also releasing ranks based on that (as well as on standard deviation alone, which actually has a fairly strong correlation to mean). However, I may cook up another formula to factor in mean, standard deviation, and number of votes and rank all of the songs by that as well.

:up: You're good with statistics! I like it. Great job sofar, glad you're taking this in consideration.

the good thing about these polls is we can vote based on whatever criteria we want. so if you want to vote for lwtsh's remix rather than the regular version, it's cool. same goes for any other song. :)

the good thing about these polls is we can vote based on whatever criteria we want. so if you want to vote for lwtsh's remix rather than the regular version, it's cool. same goes for any other song. :)

Yep, exactly. I really, really encourage everyone to take advantage of this. The point of this is to capture peoples' overall impression of songs, however they define it - because what drives that impression is different for everyone.

I agree with this, with the exception of the Extended Dance Remix of Lady With the Spinning Head. That is too phenomenal to not vote on.

:)

As for me, I kind of prefer the City of Angels version of IGWSHA (it's the only "remix/alternate" version of a U2 song the I like better than the original), but I'll be voting based on the studio version (which loses a point).

I'd say if that were ever to happen they would have to be grouped all together. We'd go insane trying to rate every single individual remix as there are nearly millions of them.

I think we should vote on some of the more popular remixes. Probably including these:

Lady With the Spinning Head (Extended Dance Mix)
Even Better Than the Real Thing (Fish Out of Water)
Walk On (Single Version)
Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix) - this is the one that the live version resembles closest
Electrical Storm (Band Version)
One (with Mary J. Blige) - just for shits and giggles :D

These versions are all considerably different than their album counterparts, and I view as different songs almost.

At the same time, we are voting on whatever criteria we choose, so it might be better to vote on the remixes in their respective album version threads.

It doesn't matter all that much to me. It's ultimately up to Digitize. :)

I'm fairly against including remixes, mainly because they're generally not created by U2. LWTSH is a possible exception, but it's also not *really* that different than the UV1 mix. However, if I see overwhelming sentiment in favor of remixes, I'm willing to reconsider.

I want to include One with MJB, but not for any particularly rational reasons.

Also, I'm trying to make this about songs, not about tracks. My goal is to get people to vote on their overall impression of tracks, not specific versions of them. I even hesitated a bit to separate Sweetish Thing, but I think it deserves it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom