Nominate Bono for the Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocu2fan

The Fly
http://slate.msn.com/?id=2060526

At this site, they are taking email from readers who have a nominee for the Nobel Prize. I figured I would post it in case any of you wanted to write and let the nice people over at msn know all about Bono and his efforts with debt and AIDS in Africa. I think it would be cool to show them how much support he has.

Wow! I will get to work on a well-written (or an attempt at one) email at once. If anyone deserves this, Bono does.
smile.gif

-sula

I will wait wait until sula is done and then just refer to her email

"what she said"

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Oh for Christ's sake - Bono's a rock star. Not some nobel peace prize winner.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

No, no...I'm sorry I didn't mean we could actually nominate him for the prize but that we could tell MSN and Slate about Bono and get him written about, then who knows where that could lead? Possibly nowhere at all but who knows?...

of course we can't nominate him...but we can make our opinion known that he OUGHT to be nominated by someone who can.
biggrin.gif

Ah ha. I understand now. My words of praise for Bono's efforts for peace will make it to Slate. Sula - I remember reading some eloquent words of yours in some thread a while back regarding Bono's good works so I know you'll make us all proud.

Originally posted by hotpepper:
Ah ha. I understand now. My words of praise for Bono's efforts for peace will make it to Slate. Sula - I remember reading some eloquent words of yours in some thread a while back regarding Bono's good works so I know you'll make us all proud.

What he said!

Don't feel nervous Sula. Can you ask one of the moderators to look for your well crafted praise of Bono in that earlier thread? Just re-use it for your letter. Actually, I'll ask:

Dear Moderators,

About three weeks ago, there was some thread debating Bono's worthiness as a role model for good deeds. Oh, how I wish that I could remember the title of thread or who started it. I contributed a couple of replies and since I have so few replies in general maybe it would be easier to search for my meager contributions.

Originally posted by Zoocifer:
Oh for Christ's sake - Bono's a rock star. Not some nobel peace prize winner.

I dunno--I think it could work:

MLK, Jr. (1964)
Mother Teresa (1979)
Dalai Lama (1989)
Aung San Suu Kyi (1991)
Nelson Mandela (1993)
Bono (2002)

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 01-08-2002).]

bono should get one someday, but not yet. it's too early. hopefully (*knocks on wood, makes the sign of the cross*) he will have many years of good doing ahead of him. save it for when he's older and even more accomplished.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Originally posted by hotpepper:
Dear Moderators,

About three weeks ago, there was some thread debating Bono's worthiness as a role model for good deeds. Oh, how I wish that I could remember the title of thread or who started it. I contributed a couple of replies and since I have so few replies in general maybe it would be easier to search for my meager contributions.

That could take years. No idea who started it? Key words in the tread title maybe?

I love a good challenge.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

part of me wretches at the idea of bono beign in the same category as Gandhi, and MLK, but if kissinger can get one..might as well give one to bono.

In terms of whether he will one day be nominated, it's a possibility - Bono has become a very skilled politician, and now refrains from criticizing the powers that be.

In terms of whether he deserves to be considered the best peace-advocate in the world (or one of the best), give me a break. His unwillingness to criticize the U.S. bombing of Afghani civilians, to me, erodes his peace-credentials significantly, despite his excellent work in other areas.

Of course, as others have pointed out, the Nobel Peace Prize is a political prize. Winners have included numerous gross human rights violators, mass murderers, and supporters of murderers, including Henry Kissinger (remarkably, within a few years of his horrendous crimes), Gorbachev, Sadat/Begin, and Jimmy Carter.

Back
Top Bottom