Nobel Prize announcements! (BONO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Val said:
think about the light this honor would shine on the One campaign as well as its partners. I like to see the prize promote futher accomplishments in the area it was awarded .

ps Time magazine has a poll from critics with their bets. The # 1 bet is Bono. He was last year as well I believe.

Cool! Do you have a link?

The bookies here have a few, Ayaan Hirshi Ali is listed odds 1 to 40... (she doesn't deserve it, jesus, that woman lied about her place of birth, her NAME and about everything to get into Holland!) Oprah 1 to 150... and bush???

:shh: 1 to 1000 :lol:

the biggest chance according to them was the South Korean president I think :hmm:
and that was all they said, nothign bout Bono :bang:

Jeannieco said:
You guys are right! I don't think he should win. The parodies would be too painful to take. Not to mention all the unsung heroes out there that never get any media or accoldades.
It would be Bono overload, he doesn't need it and it is an honor to be nominated in this case!
I bet he feels the same also. But I know past winner Mother Thersa is looking down on him and smiling at all his good works to help the poor, much like she did but in no way close to what she did. She was amazing.

I have seen plenty of lampoons on Mother Theresa. Do you really not want him to win because it is going to be someting that people are going to wag their tongues about? :scratch:

I know there are other nominees that are doing exceptional things in the progress of peace...but I personally take in to consideration the amount of influence one nominee has over society. I immediatlly think of MLK as an example, he united so many people over one dream. Why can't Bono do the same?

Galeongirl said:
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it or not... he's just not gonna get it, he's a rockstar... they give nobel prizes to scientists..

Do they give it to people who perform open heart surgery? :p

Galeongirl said:
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it or not... he's just not gonna get it, he's a rockstar... they give nobel prizes to scientists..

I'm a scientist! :hyper:

<---- stands in line, with hands out, waiting for his Nobel Prize and $1.4M check!

:sexywink:

I doubt Bono will ever win, but if he does, the one good thing is that he'd donate the prize money right back to his cause! :yes: So, in that sense, giving it to Bono is very good.

starsgoblue said:

I have seen plenty of lampoons on Mother Theresa. Do you really not want him to win because it is going to be someting that people are going to wag their tongues about? :scratch:

I know there are other nominees that are doing exceptional things in the progress of peace...but I personally take in to consideration the amount of influence one nominee has over society. I immediatlly think of MLK as an example, he united so many people over one dream. Why can't Bono do the same?

Lampoons on Mother Theresa? Really, tell me specifically where??? SNL?

:wink:

I am not saying I don't want him to win. I started this thread with enthusiasm and excitement but was quickly knocked down for being excited about the "possibility" that he might win. Thinking about the down side of winning after others shared their input, I concluded (and should have said) the ONLY downside may be the SNL spoof and paraodies. In my dreams, yes I want him to win, he is very well deserving and a hero to many including myself.

Galeongirl said:
The bookies here have a few, Ayaan Hirshi Ali is listed odds 1 to 40... (she doesn't deserve it, jesus, that woman lied about her place of birth, her NAME and about everything to get into Holland!) Oprah 1 to 150... and bush???

:shh: 1 to 1000 :lol:

the biggest chance according to them was the South Korean president I think :hmm:
and that was all they said, nothign bout Bono :bang:
Is Ayaan on that list? Dear god she doesnt deserve to win it that's for sure. As you said she lied about a lot of things and did some other not so great stuff as well.

gherman said:

Thats cool. My wife is a psycisist(sp?) at University of Colorado who currently have 3 nobel winners working in her department now. One got it last year:wink:

:D :applaud:
It's ggrrrreeeaaaaaattttttt to hear about another woman in the Sciences.
ESP in the 'hard' sciences Physics,Chemestry, Mathematics, Engineering, Astronomy {?Geology---maybe that's "only" in the Earth Sciences catagory}.
Depending WHAT branch of Physics she's in....i'll bet she's using at least one of the other hard sciences more than the others.

why am i :hyper: about this?
I grew up when it was even MORE difficut for women to BE in the sciences/esp HS [where there is still :madspit: controversy about women's "abilities"].

I have a very high level of abstract thinking ability, but never got good learning in Chem & higher Math, for instance. I did weoll in geometry, but i bet that was cause of my high spatial abilities AS an artist....

......but never got good learning in Chem & higher Math.....
:lol: talk about gud grammer! Well my 1st log-in session was about to end, so i rushed!

I'm an artist, but i love alot of the sciences and follow them alot.
someday i will buy "Chemistry for Dummies"!
ANd part of phyiscs I DON't get...the "wrok laws" ACK.but i understand a pretty good amount of Astrophysics/Quantum Phyiscs on the abstract level :D!

Actually it's funny that I rerad this todAY. yESTRDAY i WAS THINKING ABOUT should i consider puting part of my v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y putting togehter an illustration portfolio in some kinds of Science illustration?

I could gear it ro the sciences i love the best.........Astromnony, Planetology, Geology, Oceanography & a few more [probasbly sub-branches of these]. :hmm: :)

gherman, please give your wife a thumbs up from me.:D

As for The B man.......

It would be nice that he get's it some day.
It doesn't have to be THIS year for me. Tho highlighting the organizations he's help created by the Award IS a good thing!

He's someone who does live a 'life of ease' in many/most ways, and yet still devotes ALOT of thinking-time/energy & traveling/speaking on these issues.

He doesn't have to. But his sense of spirituality & ethics informs and helps him to take action.

Last edited:
Jeannieco said:

Lampoons on Mother Theresa? Really, tell me specifically where??? SNL?

:wink:

I am not saying I don't want him to win. I started this thread with enthusiasm and excitement but was quickly knocked down for being excited about the "possibility" that he might win. Thinking about the down side of winning after others shared their input, I concluded (and should have said) the ONLY downside may be the SNL spoof and paraodies. In my dreams, yes I want him to win, he is very well deserving and a hero to many including myself.

The first instance that jumps in my head is a scene from Naked Gun....:lol:

I realized after reading my post I sounded snotty, wasn't my intention. I was :crazy: after a demon economics test! Sorry. :hug:

Bono doesn't need the nobel prize. This prize has turned out to be a farce so many times. It's an honor for him to even be nominated, but I don't think he will ever get it. I am not sure if he should get it. It might put an even greater amount of pressure at him and could get him into even more trouble, ie tensions within the band, controversy.
I don't need Bono to win the nobel prize in order to admire him and his work.

well. it's official now that it's not Bono.
it's Bangladeshi Muhammad Yunus and Grameen Bank he founded to channel microcredits to poor entrepreneurs to get out of poverty.

bono will never win a Nobel prize.
even if he did, it would be a shared one. really a long shot, however.

last unicorn said:
Bono doesn't need the nobel prize. This prize has turned out to be a farce so many times. It's an honor for him to even be nominated, but I don't think he will ever get it.

You say it's a farce and then say it's an honor for him to be nominated. :huh:

Well, this one's not a farce! I think Bono would support the winner, I'm pretty sure I've heard him mention the concept of microloans and microcredit once or twice. We examined this briefly while studying in Tanzania and it IS a concept that has and will continue to change the world.

Back
Top Bottom