No need for a title cos the post is pretty self-explanatory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrBrau1 said:

What about this?

See... the repetition of the 'dream out loud' phrase in those songs doesn't bother me because I think both Acrobat and Zooropa showcase some top notch songwriting! Acrobat has in my opinion some of Bono's best lyrics ever, not to mention spine-tingling guitar work by the Edge and stellar drumming by Larry. Zooropa has so many levels and layers to it musically, not to mention a very strong message that goes with the whole Zoo era sentiment of over-exposure and the undermining effects of commodification. In fact, it's a recurring theme there because the phrase is on 2 albums that are essentially part of the same idea. I just don't think the songwriting lately has been THAT good enough to excuse a repeated word. :shrug:

KhanadaRhodes said:

i just think you're being a bit too heavy-handed with the 90s bias.

I'm sorry I can't help it if I come off as having a 90s bias! The truth is that I like Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree almost equally, albeit Achtung a little more. But Pop, UF, R&H, War etc. are all favorites for me. So it's kinda all over the place, not just the 90s.

KhanadaRhodes said:

i just think you're being harsher on atyclb and htdaab because you dislike the albums but the same thing on other albums gets a free pass.

Absolutely!

Zootlesque said:

MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KhanadaRhodes said:

so basically up until 2000, it was okay for bono to use the same word repeatedly in an album, but suddenly with the release of their past two albums, it's become not okay because you claim the songwriting's weak?

lame :|

:applaud: :bow: :yes:

Thank you, Khanada!

Bono's writing, as most of us know, takes on themes. The theme of JT was America and the openness of the desert. Hence many references to both. Early on, themes of religion dominated. AB dealt with themes of love - brotherly, sisterly, spiritually and sensually. ATYCLB was openly about "soul". HTDAAB has some "soul" in it, but now from a different perspective - a son without his father. And, of course, that's another theme - numerous songs about the loss of his father and mother. But Bono has also written about his children and the children of his friends/bandmates.

As a result of these themes, common words, like kneel, soul, sing, sky, fire, love, dream, sun, etc. are used abundantly.

I find the writing on the last two albums to be equal with previous work. Yes, there are weak points, but I can easily illustrate what I feel are weak points on every album.

Bottom line: Bono is one of the most poetic writers today. His style of writing, singing and performing are being copied by everyone from Scott Stapp to Chris Martin. U2 are easily the most influential band there is right now - and current work is just as influential as past releases (note Martin's performance at the Grammy's). If U2 wanted relevance - they got it, even if there are some weak points.

Zootlesque said:

Okay. That's your opinion... just as I'm entitled to mine, right?

I don't understand why people can't just go 'Ohh... so that's what you think? I don't agree but okay... I still respect your opinion. I just don't agree with it.'

Zootles, you definitely are entitled to your opinion. I think that the reason so many people are ganging up right now is that you've kind of made it pretty easy to rail on you about this. You've started a couple threads this weekend that are fairly anti-00s U2, and I have a feeling you've created a couple dozen similar threads in the last 6 months or so. You also reply to almost every third post, fueling the fire. I love ya, dude, but I don't think you're making it any easier on yourself.

I love 00s U2 and think the songwriting is great. There are some flops, but no more than there were in the 90s or 80s (hell, less than the early 80s, for sure). The two reason I see why people are more apt to rail on the 00s---though I don't think most of 'em realize it---are that 1). some of the lyrics are more literal and less stream-of-consciousness like some older U2, and 2). The last two albums simply aren't gloomy. I love AB, but honestly, Acrobat does nothing for me...and I really don't see why people think it's so cool except that it's so damn gloomy & fuck-the-worldish. People instantly think dark stuff is cool & better. It's like people who are independent movie snobs---a movie could suck, but if it's indie, well then it's "deep" or "smart." The fact that ATYCLB and HTDAAB aren't gloomy albums unwittingly rubs some people the wrong way. Not me! :wink:

Zoots, you certainly are entitled to your opinion. I love the energy that you bring to this forum, and I appreciate your posts--even if I don't always agree with them. :wink: I just think that if you want people to stop debating you so intensely over it, you might want to ease up a bit on creating a half dozen threads in just a few days looking to re-work HTDAAB & ATYCLB or explain why 00s U2 sucks...all in a matter of a day or two. :shrug:

Last edited:
Zootlesque said:

See... the repetition of the 'dream out loud' phrase in those songs doesn't bother me because I think both Acrobat and Zooropa showcase some top notch songwriting! Acrobat has in my opinion some of Bono's best lyrics ever, not to mention spine-tingling guitar work by the Edge and stellar drumming by Larry. Zooropa has so many levels and layers to it musically, not to mention a very strong message that goes with the whole Zoo era sentiment of over-exposure and the undermining effects of commodification. In fact, it's a recurring theme there because the phrase is on 2 albums that are essentially part of the same idea. I just don't think the songwriting lately has been THAT good enough to excuse a repeated word. :shrug:

I don't think this post is good enough to excuse your use of the letter "e" 60+ times :wink:

I'm just pickin'. Seriously though, It's no secret that Bono says "soul" a lot in these albums. He even wrote the word on the soles of his shoes. Now that's redundant :lol:

Utoo's post = :up:

Zootlesque said:

See, there's a valid counterpoint! I like this.

But I disagree. As mobvok intended with his post, I just don't think it was very obvious in those albums as to how many times a certain word was repeated. Maybe because the songwriting overall was much better? And back then, Bono never used to hammer his point home with as much subtlety as a brick in the face. Just my opinion.

Oh, come now. I'm the first to say Bono's lyricism has stank lately, especially on ATYCLB, but I wouldn't have noticed the repetition if it weren't regularly pointed out by certain parties here.

I think repeated phrases are far more noticeable than the same word here and there.

I don't understand why people can't just go 'Ohh... so that's what you think? I don't agree but okay... I still respect your opinion. I just don't agree with it.'

It's like it's in our blood to fight, argue and prove the other person wrong!

If I posted that Achtung Baby is not a classic and has only four good tracks, you'd be throwing around rebuttals left, right, and centre. Double standard much?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Bono can just be like Bill Cosby and make up his own words

would people complain then? :shrug:
He already does that! Which is why there's post after post in It's A Musical Journey of people trying to figure out what the hell he's saying before the middle 8 of Vertigo...

My opinion is that he himself doesn't even know what he's saying :wink:

Zootlesque, you and I should get together on AIM or something sometime and bash ATYCLB and HTDAAB together :hug:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Zootlesque, you and I should get together on AIM or something sometime and bash ATYCLB and HTDAAB together :hug:

I think some of you have far too much time on your hands.:wink:

Utoo said:

I love AB, but honestly, Acrobat does nothing for me...and I really don't see why people think it's so cool except that it's so damn gloomy & fuck-the-worldish. People instantly think dark stuff is cool & better. It's like people who are independent movie snobs---a movie could suck, but if it's indie, well then it's "deep" or "smart."

This is so true. :up: :up:

Back
Top Bottom