No Doubt Rock Steady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Yes. thats right. I posted a No Doubt thread
smile.gif
ban me.
wink.gif

I've posted a lil review on my personal site, as well as *cough*alinktoallthemp3s*cough*

Enjoy.

*hint... url is in my sig below
wink.gif

*ps we may have a popwhore.. but I'm a commentwhore (coined by Otto) on my log - so leave a comment if you like/dont like the album.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

Excellent!!

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Elvis, I'm so glad you started this thread, cos I would have otherwise. THE ALBUM ROCKS!!! (um, rocks steady, that is)

GREAT tunes, nary a bad one on the entire album.

But here's my question: why, in concert, did Gwen say the song is called "Undeniable" when on the albmum it's "Hella Good"?? And what the hell(a) does Hella Good mean anyway?

Disco

I'd love to give it a listen, but unfortunately, when I click your link to the mp3s, I get this:

Only client IP address allowed for PORT command.

Originally posted by Calluna:

try using netscape.

eeeeewwwww....
wink.gif

actually...it's not hard to find them through audiogalaxy or gnutella.

Is it just me or does Hella Good sound waaaaaaaaaaaay better live? The album version seems a lot more repetitive.

Ok ... watch what you're downloading from those mp3 sharing programs.. there's a bunk ass version of the album going around and every song is repetitive like that. The record company put it out or some shit. Ask Elvis, he can explain it better! But I agree that the live version of Hella Good is way better.

tongue.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Photo Albums

Originally posted by Discoteque:

But here's my question: why, in concert, did Gwen say the song is called "Undeniable" when on the albmum it's "Hella Good"?? And what the hell(a) does Hella Good mean anyway?

Disco

Kelli you crack me up, she didn't say that was the name of the song she was simply introducing the new song which in her opinion is "undeniable" (i.e. very good).

It's ok we all have our brain farts.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Ok ... watch what you're downloading from those mp3 sharing programs.. there's a bunk ass version of the album going around and every song is repetitive like that. The record company put it out or some shit. Ask Elvis, he can explain it better! But I agree that the live version of Hella Good is way better.

tongue.gif

Very true. I got the shitty version not to long ago, and shitty is an understatement.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Originally posted by Diemen:
eeeeewwwww....
wink.gif

actually...it's not hard to find them through audiogalaxy or gnutella.

Is it just me or does Hella Good sound waaaaaaaaaaaay better live? The album version seems a lot more repetitive.

Interscope Records filled the gnutella network with bogus mp3s, same names, same sizes, but either looped samples or no sound mp3s... they did a good job, if you look at it from their side of the fence. I'd seriously expect more of these tactics in the future.

the way the gnutella network and clients work...

it groups files of the same size and the same exact name, you client goes from 'server' to 'server' downloading each file, until it gets the complete track, if at any point a server fails or gets toooo slow... this being the case, all a record company has to do is:

1. create mp3s of the same names, sizes, and other variations thereof... that have bogus data, or other music

2. distribute those mp3s in advance of the cd release, on the gnutella (or other) networks... causing people to mass download them, spreading the corrupt/bogus mp3 files

3. the more people that try downloading, the more clients/servers will have corrupted files, thus making it increasingly harder to ever be able to download a 'pedigree' mp3 track

In the long run.. this is going to just push mp3 traders/leeches/developers further in a direction to develop a way to verify the 'pedigree' of the track.

------------------
-Elvis
http://plot180.net/taol/

I see a big downside to this tactic. If record companies spread these bogus mp3s out, many (if not most) people might not realize they're bogus and then make the mistake of thinking that the artist's album sucks, and thus, isn't worth buying. If this becomes a big trend among record companies, I wouldn't be surprised to see record sales drop noticeably.

Originally posted by Diemen:
I see a big downside to this tactic. If record companies spread these bogus mp3s out, many (if not most) people might not realize they're bogus and then make the mistake of thinking that the artist's album sucks, and thus, isn't worth buying. If this becomes a big trend among record companies, I wouldn't be surprised to see record sales drop noticeably.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I hadn't heard it live before I downloaded it man oh man I would not have cared for it at all.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Hahha yeah I was like, wtf is this? This sucks! And then my friend convinced me that it was bogus, then I heard a song on the radio and realized that it was definatly bogus and glad I figured it out regardless cuz I was seriously thinking they went downhill for a minute there!

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Hahha yeah I was like, wtf is this? This sucks! And then my friend convinced me that it was bogus, then I heard a song on the radio and realized that it was definatly bogus and glad I figured it out regardless cuz I was seriously thinking they went downhill for a minute there!

Ditto on that. And I've already seen a review on Amazon.com for this album from somebody who obviously got the bogus mp3s - she complains about how repetitive the songs are.

I switched to Netscape (though I hated making that decision...hehe) and got the real version - thank God! So far this album sounds really cool. I think it'd make a pretty good xmas present for a few people...
biggrin.gif

youre awesome Elvis. I got the mp3s last Sunday off Audiogalaxy (believe it or not) and they are all real.

I like it, I dont know if I like it as much as their past work.

I find Hey Baby uncontrollably addictive!!!

I like 'hey baby' too. Of course its my baby singing
wink.gif

I can't wait till tomorrow to go get the new cd. I hope it sells real well for them.

------------------

BLESS Y
O
U
SOUL R

gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO
gottaGO

In my limited experience (I spent much of yesterday downloading various No Doubt songs), I think their previous 2 albums are much stronger than this one, as a whole. I really like Return of Saturn now that I've had a chance to listen to most of it (it's definitely on my list of cds to get), possibly more than Tragic Kingdom.

I think Rock Steady is a bit of a departure in that it so obviously embraces reggae and jamaican music much more than their ska tendencies of the past. There are some songs that I like - Hey Baby is very addictive, Hella Good is also addictive (although I miss the vibe it had live), and for some reason I find myself really drawn to Running - on the surface it's a cute, maybe even overly-sappy little love song, but there's something about it that really appeals to me.

But as a whole, i think Return of Saturn and Tragic Kingdom are much stronger albums. But it's good to see that No Doubt isn't afraid to branch out into new territory. They've definitely made a fan out of me.

Nice to see this thread, as i just heard the new song by No Doubt on VIVA TV a few days ago.

"all the girls
HEY BABY HEY BABY HEY
all the boys
HEY BABY HEY BABY HEY"

addictive! Can't get the chorus out of my head.

I like it much better than their previous sound- my brother has the 2 albums. (except Don't speak and I'm just a girl and Ordinary life). Will definitely look out for the next singles.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-15-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom