No airplay for WITS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I regularly have Music TV channel on in the background at home
and disappointed to report that I've only seen WITS twice. This is really surprising for what was a No.4 single.

Popmartijn said:
Plenty of airplay here in the Netherlands. Not surprising as it's currently the #1 single in the country. :up:

it is? it's no. 3 in the top 40 right?

Radio 538 plays it a lot :yes: but they also play saints aswell, and MTV and TMF play both videos often!

a little city of 8000 by where I grew up is playing it quite a bit. yet again, they haven't turned into one of those urban/Top 20 stations all the other stations became, and they actually play quite a variety of hits across the charts.

obviously, I'm pleased to hear this one get some airplay. :)

must be getting played quite alot in the UK, as it was number 1 in the airplay charts last week, and is still number 3 this week

1 airplay a day..... that's it. It is not a big hit at all!
Vertigo is still played more often on the radio here than WITS.

It was actually my prediction..... not a good song = no airplay

Yahweh_OMG said:
1 airplay a day..... that's it. It is not a big hit at all!
Vertigo is still played more often on the radio here than WITS.

It was actually my prediction..... not a good song = no airplay
but it is a good song in other peoples eyes? so why just because you think its not result in it having no airplay :|

i have seen ALOT more positive reactions in forums to suggest more people like this song than those that dont

Good for you, I don't like it and it doesn't seem to have a great impact in my country. I am not saying that in some countries it doesn't sell well or get no airplay, I'm talking about where I live.

The thing in our country is that U2 singles generally don't sell very well and thus have never reached really high chart positions, with only a few exceptions. The most succesful have been the collaborations with Green Day and Mary J. Blige. Album sales for U2 are much higher than single sales. So I doubt WITS will be the great exceptions. I here it a lot of times, though, mainly in the morning and in the evenings, since I don't listen to the radio during the daytime. I really learned to appreciate WITS much more, because I love the radio version and did not enjoy the album version so much.

silvrlvr said:

Who is playing it?

I live a half hour from downtown Detroit, and I know 93.9 The River plays it. I just checked their web site, and it was played less than an hour ago.

*edit*

The also played "The Saints Are Coming" earlier this morning. :drool: They are a pretty good station. :up:

Last edited:
CD 101.1 in Columbus, OH has been playing WITS and Saints for about a month now. Have heard WITS more though.

Bonochick said:

I live a half hour from downtown Detroit, and I know 93.9 The River plays it. I just checked their web site, and it was played less than an hour ago.

*edit*

The also played "The Saints Are Coming" earlier this morning. :drool: They are a pretty good station. :up:

While on my lunch hour, I heard "A Sort Of Homecoming". I seriously love them. :love:

I've heard several stations in the Boston area like Mix 98.5 and 104.1 WBCN play it more than once.

It's being played all the time where i am plus they play it quite a lot on Radio 1 - one of our biggest national staions in the UK! :applaud:

Last edited:
I've caught it on the radio once or twice.

but I'll cut the radio stations in my area some slack, I truly believe they're forced to play Nickelback and Gwen Stefani at gunpoint.

It's the only possible explanation.

:love: WITS is no. 1 in the charts here after being in it for 2 weeks now (no. 3 last week)

:hmm: quite a smart thing tho, releasing three different singles... since some geeks like me buy all three, and therfore they get higher in the charts!

Galeongirl said:
it is? it's no. 3 in the top 40 right?

Radio 538 plays it a lot :yes: but they also play saints aswell, and MTV and TMF play both videos often!

WITS is no. 1 in the Mega Top 50. :)

Popmartijn said:

WITS is no. 1 in the Mega Top 50. :)

ah, in the top 40 now aswell...

Interesting thing tho, U2 have only had 4 no. 1 hits here... first was Beautiful Day and Elevation... now Saints and WITS.... two consecutive singles :hmm:

and they've only been able to hold on the no. 1 spot for two weeks sadly... I hope WITS will break this :yes: since Saints got kicked off by the damn Coole Piet song!

I've heard it a few times on XM radio flight 26. XM may play it on some of their other stations, but not any other ones I listen to.

Back
Top Bottom