NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and some people mistake snark for intelligence.

it's not even good snark. it's funny when below-average writers are condescending towards people vastly more successful than they are.

if he didn't like the album, fine, but the whole, "oh, little Bono, when will you learn," schtick is even worse here than in that earlier (super-positive) earlier review from that woman.

is this what passes for rock journalism in Australia? :tsk:

perhaps it was that heat wave we've been hearing about.

:up::up:

You know, today, bashing U2 is so cool... :down:

Yeah.
I mean, I don't get. What's so cool about bash a band? I'm a Bon Jovi fan, for example, and I fully understand when I hear jokes about then and etc. I joke about their music a lot myself, but what's the point in bash someone's work just for the sake of it.
I'm all in for serious reviews where the journalist points out what he felt was wrong and etc., but why do you need the bashing?
On another example, I'm a Radiohead fan. But I wonder how the reviews for an album like Amnesiac, for example, would be if it wasn't released under the Radiohead's name.
I really don't get...
can someone answer me? What's so cool about bash a band?

That will probably be GibsonExplorer's favorite review yet. :wink:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but it's pretty obvious that guy was not going to be into the album no matter how it sounded unless a different band's name was on the CD case. Still it's a fun read, and just as worth taking note of as that one total 90's fan review a while back.

That review was actually pretty funny. It could be taken more seriously if the writer didn't obviously dislike U2 and Brian Eno.

This review is just as bad as the other one yesterday where the reviewer was an obvious fan and was gushing over everything.

Note to self: don't plan an album listening drinking game.

:lol:

Personally, I almost walk away encouraged even by this review. I want another U2 album where there's enough "weirdness" that you really feel the Eno influence. And it seems like this reviewer certainly felt that. Again, for all the 2000's U2-haters, I would think this review would reinforce the perception that NLOTH will NOT sound like the last two albums. (Though it may bring some to doubt a few of the lyrics, again...) Either way, I can't wait much longer - I NEED NEW U2!!!!:hyper:

He rated the album 2 stars from 6 possible stars... BTW, he gave Viva La Vida 1 star. :cute:

Then he's just another pitchfork-style snob...
Say what you want bout Coldplay, but VLV worths MORE than 1 star

That will probably be GibsonExplorer's favorite review yet. :wink:

Damn, it would have been great if that review was posted and then no one else responded until GibsonExplorer or Acrobat08 had a chance to respond first.

:lmao:

He rated the album 2 stars from 6 possible stars... BTW, he gave Viva La Vida 1 star. :cute:

HA, U2 is better than Coldplay....!! :wink:

i'm going to go ahead and guess there will be at least one more negative review. im going out on a limb, i know.

He did say that u2 "did try" or something like that...I guess hes just not a fan of Eno or the band....especially that I see he gave Viva La Vida 1 star.

Also, he mentioned that he liked "White As Snow" but would have been better suited for Johnny Cash...which has a country vibe to it....looks as if he just does not like ambience in his music

There are going to be some negative reviews. It actually sounds like Henry Rollins was reviewing the album.

Some people just don't like certain bands, and that will show in their reviews.

Imagine if some of us had to review some of todays pop music. Do a lot of us think we could keep some of our feelings out of the review? I honestly don't know how I could review a Britney Spears album without saying it's a complete joke. I may be able to spit out that a song or two is good for a pop song, but would still be better if "so and so" else was singing it.

There are going to be more negative reviews coming out. But I think overall it's going to be positive, and the one's who at least act professional about it are the ones to really form some opinion.

Even though he hates it and his tone is negative...the things he say still excite me. Maybe I'm just eager for some new material.

How anyone can review an album (either good or bad) on one listen is beyond me. That most of the reviews have been so positive was getting a litte scary for me. I don't know about anyone else, but almost without fail, the records that I didn't like on the first 2 or 3 listens are the ones that I ended up loving the most. I want to be, well, "challenged" on the first few listens. This review suggests that I might.

But this review reminds me of a few I read about Achtung Baby. That album got HAMMERED by the alternative purists for it's lyrics. And deservedly so, in my opinion. Bono could be brilliant and write "she wears my love like a see-through dress" and then follow it up with something like "you left my heart empty as a vacant lot, for any spirit to haunt." Clang is right.

a pathetic and vindictive review that tries so hard to be negative, to the point that it is comical. even his crappy review made it sound like a good album.

Come on, that was funny, and you can tell he actually knows his U2, it’s not just throwing stones from a distance. Not everyone will like the album. Deal with it. At least this was done with more humour than venom – just wait till those start rolling in, and they will. You can find awful reviews out there for JT and Achtung. It’s okay.

And this part: “The Edge pulls out a rudimentary slide guitar solo and then there's an oh-ah-oh wordless singalong that should be a hit at the half dozen shows where they try this one out before never playing it again.” made me laugh, we all know that will be spot on for at least one of these tracks.

This review is hilarious. I'm relieved now. There was too much consensus about how good the albums is, and i particularly , want a album that is challenging and controverse , not another good but bland album ( like previous 2)

The best thing about the reviews is that they seem to indicate that the rest of the album sounds nothing like GOYB.

It was clearly a "stance" review--where the outcome was predetermined. Many of the positive reviews were probably the exact same thing. But it was a little too wink-wink when he started talking about Bryan Adams and Poison. Gracious. A good laugh, all in all.

Yeah, I'm putting too much weight on these reviews, trying to actually hear the songs as I'm reading...it's not going to happen so I might as well just chill out for the next couple of weeks and then hit the store early in the morning on my way to work like I normally do. (I've made store clerks wade through and open boxes from their stock at 5am before. Can anyone else relate?) And ultimately, my liking NLOTH will have nothing to do with what any of you or any professional critic has to say about it. I'll either like it or I won't.

EDIT: But damn, I'm addicted to reading reviews nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom