NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's the case I wonder what you think of Leonard Cohen.

Oh, and you can never have enough music in life. There's always something more to be discovered.

I don't know enough Leonard Cohen to pass an opinion.

I've only really heard Hallelujah and Tower of Song

And I do agree at the end there :up: my comment was more that I have enough music in my life, and to be discovered to ever be desperate enough to try to get into Dylan

If that's the case I wonder what you think of Leonard Cohen.

Oh, and you can never have enough music in life. There's always something more to be discovered.

Well, Cohen really does do a lot of poetry.

And it's really pretty awesome.
:drool:

ok, my final word on production.

I won't lie, there is some heavy compression in some of the songs which means the natural dynamics are lost. A lot of the dynamics are created by the production itself, as some verses sound almost choked by a digital fog only to open up in the chorus.

If you don't like heavy production then this is not the album for you. It is studio built music. The time out review is ridiculous, the production only adds to the songs, it never sounds contrived or out of place. It adds a dimension that was IMO lost on the lasttwo albums...

I agree 100% with Ozeeko's comments on music criticism. Critics have their rightful place in the world. Some aren't as good as others. Those who take music criticism seriously, like myself, learn to weed out the poorer critics, or at least take their reviews with a grain of salt. I always say this: You wouldn't have a gym teacher teach psychology, you have a psychology teacher teach psychology. People devote their whole lives to music, like Ozeeko said, and they end up being more knowledgeable. We may still disagree with their opinions, but they often have a greater knowledge base. At the very least they're great, especially the pitchforks of the world, because they introduce us to new music we'd otherwise have never heard.

Where'd everybody go?

Shouldn't the Australians and Americans be shuffling in now?

More reviews.....?:drool:

That really negative one a few pages back actually just got me excited because of how it makes such a bid deal of Eno's influence being everywhere.

Don't worry about Andrew P Street. He's from Adelaide, I know the guy and he is a tool. He used to be involved with db magazine; one of those free music mags you get at cafes, eateries etc.

He was doing gigs - saw him once and he sucked. Go check out his Andrew P Street page on myspace.

Don't think I am worried about his opinion.

No Line - best opener since Zoo. The chorus is really a hushed version of the verse until the last 30 seconds when the song erupts into a punk rock death chant. Sonically brilliant, like an Eno junkyard full of space age trinkets. Fast, yet slow, yet fast. Ending sounds like of all bands, pixies, yes, pixies, madness.

Magnificent - more familiar territory here with some brilliant oh oh's that sound like a choir of Bonos and Edges, very lemon in parts but easier to swallow. Huge lush ending that will bring stadiums of peole to tears. Will be big big single. Anthem etc

Moment of surrender - softer moment after the hugenrss of the first two songs. Not as sonic but has a weird vibe. Will require further listening but sounds promising.

Unknown caller - Bono at his existensial best. Best lyrics since the fly and a guitar break that had every hair on my body stand on edge. You can really hear Eno at work here, sounds like it was written in space. Glorious madness, and an ending that sounds like Bono as a wolf, yelping his way to the end of the world. Drool.

Crazy - sounds a bit weak next to UC but a glorious I songs. Reminds me of something from the brill building days in the golden age of pop. Great lyrics, will be a huge single. Happiest song since BD

Boots - weakest track, why first single?

Stand Up - huge, huge and not in a contrived way. Sounds like a war march and then flips it all upside down in the chorus. Bono in self deprecating mode, I'm not a lover or a fighter, failed at both he sings over the biggest edge riff ever. Pure anarchy.

Fez - a nice break. A definite ZooTv feel to it, sounds harrowing and claustrophobic on parts but then spreads it wings like a sonic eagle. 2 songs in one, will tale a few listens but ends lime a funeral march, very gloomy.

White - another eerie moment when the guitars seem to melt into orchestrations only to burst out again. Bono sounds creepy on places, come get me ghosts he sings (I think) over a johnny cash like aocalyptoc ballad. Very depressing second half so far. Bono sounds like a character, like macphisto on his death bed. Very surreal, gosh, this is cool.

Breathe - save the best til last. One of the most uplifting choruses I can remember. Breaks the recent gloom in a profound way. Just a testament to how cohesive this album feels, like a musical journey, ha! I'm serious though.

Lebanon - back to the darkness with glimpses of light. Like the end of the horizon is just another beginning. So many profound lines, where did this Bonp go?

So after 1 listen, I couldn't be more excited to own this darn thing. Quote a gloomy album but sums u the times beautifully...

I'm a bit late on this, but thanks a million for the review. :up:

:hyper:

Brian Eno's new album, featuring U2

oh hahaha funny guy! (<-- sarcasm btw)

That said, they've also brought in their three most frequent producers – Steve Lillywhite, Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno – so any envelope-pushing is being done in very circumscribed areas. Eno is all over the album: damn near every song begins with some of his burbling mono synth action, which usually has a barely tangential connection with the song that follows. And for all that's new, there's no way that you'll mistake it for another band. The Edge has evidently found the bag of effects pedals he used circa The Unforgettable Fire and everything's covered in sustain and delay. Bono's still howling wordlessly away in most of the choruses. Larry Mullen, Jr pumps out his searingly competent drum work and Adam Clayton... well, he plays bass. As much as he usually does, anyway.

well, that sounds near perfect to me! bring it on!

I won't lie, there is some heavy compression in some of the songs which means the natural dynamics are lost. A lot of the dynamics are created by the production itself, as some verses sound almost choked by a digital fog only to open up in the chorus.

If you don't like heavy production then this is not the album for you. It is studio built music. The time out review is ridiculous, the production only adds to the songs, it never sounds contrived or out of place. It adds a dimension that was IMO lost on the lasttwo albums...

Walt, just a question of practicality, what type of system did you hear it on? And how loud was it played? Thank you mate!:wave:

I'm relieved we FINALLY have a not so positive review because it is a sign of things to come. I think we'd be naive to expect overly positive reviews from media once the album is released. Most journalists will not like the album simply because it's U2. The guy who wrote that last review was seemingly having trouble even trying to admit that there indeed are some good things about certain songs, only to go back to his infantile remarks some sentences later, how ridiculours. That one was even more unprofessional than the fan review I critisized yesterday. I don't know if I should worry about White As Snow now because the guy seemed to like that song.

And what do you expect from someone who clearly states in the headline that he doesn't like Brian Eno?

And his dislike for Bono is rather obvious. The way he's patronizing him about his lyrics and singing is just so dumb and childish, if that's all he can come up with, seriously, I'm not worried.

That lyric was quotes in an earlier review, I like it. :up:

Of course there will be lyrics that will be good and some that will not be so great. It's Bono, after all.

I'd like too see him try singing/writing for one of the greatest rock bands in the world while doing humanitarian work for the world. :angry:

He wouldn't last half an hour.

But you can't get all positive reviews. :wink:

_000poster.jpg

Promo Poster :)

The photography/layout is very Achtung, although that poster doesn't look all that great. Thinking it might be a local office job? Someone from Universal France or wherever just knocking one up themselves from a few press kit shots?

Walt ..i'm going 2 die if u don't reply to this question:drool::drool:

I'd like 2 know if this sequence is on the new album and if your reply is Yes > witch song is it?

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/dallas.swf

Thanx in advance

Just think...one month from now it won't mean one iota what all these reviewers say as we'll have the finished article blaring out of our speakers and earphones...I can't wait.

The best reviewer in my opinion is yourself. It's all a matter of personal perspective.

Looks like Bono hasn't completely gotten away from some real lyrical clunkers. GOYB has one or two lines which clunk horribly which could have been easily changed. That "little old lady" line is the sort of thing which can completely ruin a track, see Miracle Drug, and despite me arguing that context is key, I can't forsee a context which would redeem that line.

Who cares about a bad review by a guy who writes bad reviews for a living. People like that always try to come off as the great word artist and " look at me, I am soooo cool because I am bashing U2". I always think back at the NME reviews that I read. Positive or negative, the writers always were using a lot of popular language and a lot of swearing to show how cool they were. You should always look at these so called reviews with a huge bag of salt.

Looks like Bono hasn't completely gotten away from some real lyrical clunkers. GOYB has one or two lines which clunk horribly which could have been easily changed. That "little old lady" line is the sort of thing which can completely ruin a track, see Miracle Drug, and despite me arguing that context is key, I can't forsee a context which would redeem that line.

It's the way he talks, what's wrong with that?

It's the way he talks, what's wrong with that?

The full lyric is "Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady", if you like that then fair play. It's at least as bad a lyric as the ones which destroyed MD and Whos gonna ride you wild horses

As for its how he speaks, I have on occasion used the word discombobulated in conversation, it doesn't mean it would be a decent lyric.

Just like a good lyric can draw you into a song, a bad lyric can completely ruin the mood, and that lyric my friend is one of the worst I've ever hear. Generally when U2 mentions God directly, the lyric and song is trite, when they abstract it like in Mysterious Ways they get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom