NLOTH Reviews Pt 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eno & 90's U2 back...
I actually like that review... Way back in 91, i remember reading reviews like that for the best album ever made...

Haha, that review is the best one yet. Bloody hilarious.

I can't wait to see some mad Interference reactions now...

How do you know it's the "best"? Have you heard the album? Do you agree with the reviewer?

Music is so subjective that I don't appreciate ANY reviews and wish music reviewers would disappear off the face of the planet. A song like "My Life Would Suck Without You" (and how's that for the worst line of 2009?) is #1. Tons of kids love it. Just because I don't, does it mean it's crap?

To me, music reviewers are as useless as sports writers. They say painfully obvious points and spit out opinions when none are required. At least a movie review gives you some insight into the film. So even if this was another great review, I wouldn't be impressed. I need to hear the album - when it comes to music, only my opinion matters.

Yes, quite frankly no one should be assigning a star review after one listen. Time Out's are hit or miss in general...London may say great things about an album while New York will trash it and Chicago will be in between.

It does seem like he knows his U2 but mainly he's just trashing it to trash it. Write a funny review, trash it if you want, but don't assign a star ranking to it. For all we know this "ranking" will stand and go down as the official review in the magazine's archives, which would itself be a joke.

What has me worried is that the sounds, though refreshing to many who hear it since they're atypical 2000s U2 sounds, may actually not be all that exciting. That's the fear the negative review has given me. It is possible to layer your album in sound upon sound after all but still have it sound cheesy or middle of the road. Look at "Love and Peace." Apologies to those who like it, but really, if some of these songs are that bland that no amount of technology or frills can save them, then oh boy.

It is possible to layer your album in sound upon sound after all but still have it sound cheesy or middle of the road. Look at "Love and Peace." Apologies to those who like it, but really, if some of these songs are that bland that no amount of technology or frills can save them, then oh boy.

That is probably my single biggest fear. GOYB is very shallow and very slick. Way, way, way better than Vertigo, but still far, far closer to Vertigo than the Fly.

I am still nervous but not flat out worried anymore. Enough of these reviews have singled out Atomic Bomb as utter crap, and made a point of saying that NLOTH is far, far better, and different 'enough'. Most people who hate the Bomb do so for the same reasons, so, I assume the "It's not Bomb pt.II" checklist would be the same for you, myself, and all of these reviewers, and it does seem to be checking off every box.

Still not letting myself get too excited though, just in case.

How do you know it's the "best"? Have you heard the album? Do you agree with the reviewer?

Music is so subjective that I don't appreciate ANY reviews and wish music reviewers would disappear off the face of the planet. A song like "My Life Would Suck Without You" (and how's that for the worst line of 2009?) is #1. Tons of kids love it. Just because I don't, does it mean it's crap?

To me, music reviewers are as useless as sports writers. They say painfully obvious points and spit out opinions when none are required. At least a movie review gives you some insight into the film. So even if this was another great review, I wouldn't be impressed. I need to hear the album - when it comes to music, only my opinion matters.

I agree with everything you said. I couldn't give a flying fuck about these opinions and reviews. I just read them because they offer some song descriptions until the album leaks.

I say it's the best review so far because it made me laugh. I find it fascinating that some people would be upset by it. In the end, it's only your own opinion that matters.

I agree with everything you said. I couldn't give a flying fuck about these opinions and reviews. I just read them because they offer some song descriptions until the album leaks.

I say it's the best review so far because it made me laugh. I find it fascinating that some people would be upset by it. In the end, it's only your own opinion that matters.

Well, I'm not upset by the review itself, but for the "hey, let's bash that band cause it's cool!" attitude that some persons (journalists) have.

You continue to make the most sense in this forum.

:up:

doctorwho's points are well taken here as always, but I still see some value in reviews. They can at least describe whether we are getting a departure, what the songs sound like, etc. Of course, we have to keep in mind that the writer's own opinion is factoring in alot, but they are helpful. This is especially true when coming from fans like Walt!

Thank you, Walt!! And if I might ask a question in hopes that you check on this thread again, can you elaborate on Cedars? I am really hoping for a Love is Blindness type feel, did you get any of that sense at all? Dying to hear about this.

Music is part-subjective, the rest is intelligence. Bob Dylan is definitely better than the Spice Girls. No contest. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't being subjective...they're just being complete morons. Of course this is me subjectively speaking.

Music is part-subjective, the rest is intelligence. Bob Dylan is definitely better than the Spice Girls. No contest. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't being subjective...they're just being complete morons. Of course this is me subjectively speaking.

Not necessarily. Spice Girls were pretty awesome. Their songs were perfect pop, nothing wrong with them.

Not necessarily. Spice Girls were pretty awesome. Their songs were perfect pop, nothing wrong with them.

I don't mind them. In fact, I haven't heard a mainstream song as strong as "Wannabe" or "Say You'll Be There" in a long time. But if we are dismissing critics altogether, and nothing really matters cuz everything is subjective, then lets say that The Spice Girls discography totally owns Bob Dylans. For no other reason than, hey music is subjective. In fact, let's just not discuss anything on this forum. When asked what you like about a song, just answer with "hey, music is subjective."

I say it's part subjective, but a lot of knowing what is good comes from being an avid music listener for a lifetime, listening to stuff past to present, all different varieties.

What if Rolling Stone came out tommorrow and said The Escape Club's "Wild Wild West" is the greatest song ever written, and that U2's "I Will Follow" is the worst...then, instead of a long descriptive explanation, all you read was "because music is subjective, that's why". I think there are a lot of critics that get the job done right. However, of course there are some that are paid off or are just too biased to give an accurate review.

I just find it funny that people go crazy over positive reviews, then when reading one negative one they resort to "ohh, fuck what that guy said. Music is subjective anyway." If that's the case, then why all the hysteria over positive reviews? Why not tell them to fuck off too? After all, music is subjective.

As you can see, i take issue with this "music is subjective" thing.

Actually, I would argue that Dylan's songs are better, put the performance is worse.

See music is subjective!

That was not meant to incite violence... I posted it before I read your last comment. Still, I think saying that you can have no discussion because of the subjectivity of music is false. That actually IS the nature of subjectivity: that we can have totally varied opinions, and therefore it breeds healthy and valuable discussion. (or in this forums case, bickering, whinging and fighting) :wave:

Actually, I would argue that Dylan's songs are better, put the performance is worse.

See music is subjective!

Well, if you're going by sex appeal then I'd have to go with Spice Girls.
But i was just talking about the songs. The recordings.

Hey!!! Who's stealing my "music is subjective" line? :mad: :angry: :mad:

Well, if you're going by sex appeal then I'd have to go with Spice Girls.
But i was just talking about the songs. The recordings.

and thats what im saying: Dylan's songs are better in my opinion, but the recordings are inherently garbage because he performs on them.

he should have written books, not songs

That was not meant to incite violence... I posted it before I read your last comment. Still, I think saying that you can have no discussion because of the subjectivity of music is false. That actually IS the nature of subjectivity: that we can have totally varied opinions, and therefore it breeds healthy and valuable discussion. (or in this forums case, bickering, whinging and fighting) :wave:

Oh no, i totally agree. I'm just saying sometimes its a cop out answer. And i also do think that critics serve a purpose (of course there are some crap ones out there). I think that if you are more knowledgable than someone on a subject, you're opinion should be noted, not totally dismissed just for the sake of (drumroll....) music subjectivity!!! I mean, The Joshua Tree is known as the classic U2 album, I think everything thinks it's good. It must be good right? As far as U2 afficianados go, are we all just experiencing the same coiincidental subjective emotions listening to Joshua Tree, or is it actually better than...i dunno let's say October. Can something be better than something else because it actually is, or is it just because...once again...music is subjective. You see what i'm saying? I'm making myself crazy.

and thats what im saying: Dylan's songs are better in my opinion, but the recordings are inherently garbage because he performs on them.

he should have written books, not songs

which recordings are garbage? (resist the "all of them" reply) Specifically, which ones?

The funny thing is, most of those (definitely not all, don’t jump on me) who are always the quickest to say “THAT’S JUST YOUR OPINION!!! MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE!!!!!” are generally those who are also by far the quickest to totally write off an entire artist, or even an entire genre. Guarantee when something comes up like a Will.I.Am (or previously, Kanye West) rumour of involvement, they’re the ones to jump fastest with something like “HIP-HOP SUCKS!!!#@!#!! I HATE HIP-HOP!!@@*#&* IT’S NOT MUSIC!!! @*(#&@”

which recordings are garbage? (resist the "all of them" reply) Specifically, which ones?

The funny thing is, most of those (definitely not all, don’t jump on me) who are always the quickest to say “THAT’S JUST YOUR OPINION!!! MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE!!!!!” are generally those who are also by far the quickest to totally write off an entire artist, or even an entire genre. Guarantee when something comes up like a Will.I.Am (or previously, Kanye West) rumour of involvement, they’re the ones to jump fastest with something like “HIP-HOP SUCKS!!!#@!#!! I HATE HIP-HOP!!@@*#&* IT’S NOT MUSIC!!! @*(#&@”

my brother is an insane Dylan fan, so ive heard bucket loads of his songs. he is a below average guitarist, and his voice makes me want to burn my ears off.

he writes beautiful lyrics. He should have been a poet.

Again, my opinion.

my brother is an insane Dylan fan, so ive heard bucket loads of his songs. he is a below average guitarist, and his voice makes me want to burn my ears off.

he writes beautiful lyrics. He should have been a poet.

Again, my opinion.

I used to hate his voice too. You'll love him one day. Trust me.

I used to hate his voice too. You'll love him one day. Trust me.

I really don't think I will. I have tried. I really have. I know not liking Dylan puts me in the minority. I like reading books on him, and reading his lyrics. I have enough music in my life, so I don't think I ever will feel compelled to discover him.

But each to their own :wave:

I really don't think I will. I have tried. I really have. I know not liking Dylan puts me in the minority. I like reading books on him, and reading his lyrics. I have enough music in my life, so I don't think I ever will feel compelled to discover him.

But each to their own :wave:

If that's the case I wonder what you think of Leonard Cohen.

Oh, and you can never have enough music in life. There's always something more to be discovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom