NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another from Australia

Another from Australia

Quote:
Melbourne Herald Sun - Australia

U2 takes a few risks

Cameron Adams
February 12, 2009 12:00am

WHEN you're the biggest band in the world, you're entitled to take a few risks.

No Line on the Horizon is U2's experimental album. The songs are long, moody and not exactly radio-friendly.
Which means it's precisely the kind of album U2 needed after 2004's water-treading but stadium-filling How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

Hearing the album in full, the divisive Get On Your Boots was an ideal first single - the kind of song that wouldn't last 10 seconds on commercial radio stations if it weren't the new U2 song.

Despite the musical diversions, the Edge's trademark guitar work injects the U2 DNA throughout.

The fantastic title track has a wall of distorted guitar that recalls a previous envelope-pushing moment, The Fly.

There's a brief flashback to the feel of The Unforgettable Fire on Fez - Being Born and Magnificent sounds like a single (once it has had a radio edit) with that signature Where the Streets Have No Name chugging guitar and drum momentum.

Producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois leave their fingerprints all over the atmospheric Moment of Surrender - cathedral organs and a heavy bass groove spoiled only by Bono mentioning an ATM.

In an age of short attention spans, U2 have put together an old-fashioned album, not just a bunch of singles.

This album is likely to lose the casual U2 fan, but will reconnect with the faithful.

No Line on the Horizon is released on February 27

This is actually a great review - though rather short .... :up:

talking about boots as their first thing means that they made the right choice. because in music industry there is something like a common rule these days to heat up the buzz.

first: drop some news to put the band back in mind of the people
second: drop rumours about "the album is leaked" etc
third: release a single which polarize media and fans to get the attention and the focus on the band back
fourth: drop rumours about "the album is leaked" etc
fifth: drop rumours about the video
sixth: drop rumours about the tour
seventh: release the video
eight: release the album
nineth: drop news about the tour
tenth: release second single which should be a classic hit
eleventh: start the ticket presale
twelve: start the tour
thirteen: release the 3rd single...another catchy tune prefered to increase the album sales again.

thats it...i mean..thats the common way for the big acts out there. someone are good in that like U2 or Coldplay and some one are not that good. depends on their record company or PR agency etc. but over all..this is the way to success. because if you look to U2s actual campaign...it´s not that different. with the "crazy" and "magnificent" they deliver radio stuff and anthems. coldplay released "violent hill" which is far away from a catchy radio tune and then they brought us the big anthem "viva la vida"...and in fact...they learned so many things from U2. not just in songrwiting terms.

Who wants to play Guess That Album Rating? What you do is guess what the following major publications will rate the album. 5 points awarded for each accurate prediction. This is just for fun, so no flaming if you don't agree with the ratings prediction of someone else. (If someone thinks this needs its own thread, please feel free to create one.)

Rollingstone: 3.5 stars/5
Pitchfork: 6.8/10
Q Magazine: 3/5 (If the rumors are true, then I just gave myself 5 points)
Blender: 4 stars
Spin: 3 stars
Entertainment Weekly: A

Who wants to play Guess That Album Rating? What you do is guess what the following major publications will rate the album. 5 points awarded for each accurate prediction. This is just for fun, so no flaming if you don't agree with the ratings prediction of someone else. (If someone thinks this needs its own thread, please feel free to create one.)

Rollingstone: 3.5 stars/5
Pitchfork: 6.8/10
Q Magazine: 3/5 (If the rumors are true, then I just gave myself 5 points)
Blender: 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly: A

Rolling Stone would probably shut itself down before giving a U2 album less than a 4. Right or wrong, we know it's true. The thing would have to be complete shit, and I'm seriously doubting we're getting complete shit.

Rolling Stone would probably shut itself down before giving a U2 album less than a 4. Right or wrong, we know it's true. The thing would have to be complete shit, and I'm seriously doubting we're getting complete shit.

Agree. They've already given GOYB four stars and since that's the worst song on the album... :)

Rollingstone: 4 stars/5
Pitchfork: 7.3/10
Q Magazine: 3/5
Blender: 3 stars
Entertainment Weekly: B-

I think the album isn't as great as the band thinks it is......judging by the first single and the clips, it lacks a lot of momentum and plenty of the reviews have indicated that it isn't full of the arena rock this band is known for......however, I do think the album will end up with a score in the mid-to-late 70's on Metacritic with some publications giving it a higher score than How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Pitchfork, for example, has been very pro-U2 lately and enjoyed the new song....

The Pointy Adventures Of Jean-Claude Supremo

100 Words On… U2 - No Line On The Horizon•February 11, 2009 • 1 Comment

It’s flawed, like everything.

The title track, Magnificent, Unknown Caller and Fez - Being Born, while all cracking, wouldn’t be out of place in the Joshua Tree era which you’ll either see as a great look back to glory or a wasted opportunity to try something new.

Moment Of Surrender just wanders, Stand-up Comedy sounds like it belongs as a track 7.

Then there’s White As Snow and Cedars Of Lebanon; both brilliant but I can’t help but wonder what Rick Rubin would have made of them. I think Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are great producers, but comfort blankets.

Nonetheless, it will be huge.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I should point out that I heard the album this morning in Principle Management’s offices in Dublin, a first for me. They’re almost worth reviewing themselves and look quite like the coolest place on Earth to work.

Myself, the lovely Tony Fenton and Ian Dempsey all heard it sitting around a 40 foot long boardroom table in a room resembling a small church adorned with dozens of U2 gold and platinum discs from down the ages, oh and even a Grammy or two.

Surreal.

Rollingstone: 4 stars/5
Pitchfork: 7.3/10
Q Magazine: 3/5
Blender: 3 stars
Entertainment Weekly: B-

I think the album isn't as great as the band thinks it is......judging by the first single and the clips, it lacks a lot of momentum and plenty of the reviews have indicated that it isn't full of the arena rock this band is known for......however, I do think the album will end up with a score in the mid-to-late 70's on Metacritic with some publications giving it a higher score than How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Pitchfork, for example, has been very pro-U2 lately and enjoyed the new song....

Blender will give it 4. Adrian Deevoy always does.

The title track, Magnificent, Unknown Caller and Fez - Being Born, while all cracking, wouldn’t be out of place in the Joshua Tree era which you’ll either see as a great look back to glory or a wasted opportunity to try something new.

Moment Of Surrender just wanders, Stand-up Comedy sounds like it belongs as a track 7.

Then there’s White As Snow and Cedars Of Lebanon; both brilliant but I can’t help but wonder what Rick Rubin would have made of them. I think Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois are great producers, but comfort blankets.

I should point out that I heard the album this morning in Principle Management’s offices in Dublin, a first for me. They’re almost worth reviewing themselves and look quite like the coolest place on Earth to work.

Myself, the lovely Tony Fenton and Ian Dempsey all heard it sitting around a 40 foot long boardroom table in a room resembling a small church adorned with dozens of U2 gold and platinum discs from down the ages, oh and even a Grammy or two.

Surreal.

Its interesting how some people think its experimental and how some people think its a throw back to what they were doing 15-20 years ago. From the 45 sec clips I'm led to believe the album goes musically where Pop went, so more experimental than not.

RS:5

If Working On a Dream was 5 stars, an album of NLOTH's 45 second clips is roughly 5.2 stars. And I like Working On a Dream.

I'm actually somewhat positive (hopeful) for a high P4K score (which would be in the 7s). HTDAAB got a 6.9 and Viva la Vida got a 6.5, so hopefully No Line has the chops to impress the hipsters themselves!

Its interesting how some people think its experimental and how some people think its a throw back to what they were doing 15-20 years ago.

And most of the time, in the same review. :wink:

I remember thinking that about One when I first heard it. What's this? A song without a chorus? Never in a million years would I have pegged that as a single.

I really think they've done it again. I truly didn't think this with Bomb, even though I liked and still like it immensely. :up:

As long as it wanders in my mind into different organ corridors and synthesizer landscapes I'm okay with that. :D

works for me.. :hyper:

Based on the 45 seconds we have, MOS can wander anywhere it wants...
:love::up:

Everytime I think of something to post, it's already said in somewhat the same tone. :up:

Achtung Baby got 4.5 so I'll go with 4 stars.

Untill I hear the rest, I'll say 4 out of 5 too. :drool:
I'm really into these tracks. Got to hear the rest. :hyper:

I'm a fan of Bruce, but even if he makes an album with only one song, in wich the whole lyrics it's like "I hate the Rolling Stone magazine"...he always receive 5 stars.. he's not a parameter. Down the years, most after AB, U2 is always getting 4 stars from Roling Stone,.

Someone over on u2.com (Zootopia), got an invite to go and listen to the album (she has pics to prove it), her review is below :drool: :

I was able to hear the album twice and I will try and tell you what I can - but Im no music journo and this is one album that is very complex. Songs start in one direction and then bolt in another!

But it is totally different from the last 2 albums and will take many listens to fully take in what's going on....which I love!!!!!!!! Im sure I'll think of many points to add after writing all this........I'll update as I remember :)

1 - no line on the horizon

A few seconds of slow and then a huge slap in the face and off it goes!!!!!!!! Instantly I burst into a huge smile and thought WOW!!!!!!! Brilliant choice for opening track......Bono's vocals are pretty varied...singing, a bit of shouting....I just loved this song instantly.......I was very overwhelmed and had to take a minute to calm down and pay attention! Would be a great single!

"every night I have the same dream ....scheming some scheme"

2 - Magnificent

And it is......a bit of an electronic sound and then Larry launches into it.......such a killer drumming track!!!!!! And few bits reminded me of Streets and I think t will get a similar reaction live.......Bono's voice is incredible and I felt this track was a bit of a tribute to their wives......fast paced track and I loved it instantly...will be a u2 classic!!!!! And, could be (and should be) a single.

"only love can leave such a mark" ..."i was born to sing for you and sing whatever you wanted me too"

3 - Moment of surrender

I'd heard alot about this track - album highlight etc - and even at over 7 minutes, it is!!!!!!

the start reminded me of "your blue room".....much slower tempo after the first 2 tracks.....kind of hymn/gospel like. Lots of bass and Edge has an awesome solo in the middle of the song.....need to hear this track alot more because there is so much in it.....beautiful.......

"At the moment of surrender, Ive fallen to my knees - I didnt notice the passers by and they didnt notice me"....."Playing with the fire til the fires playing with me"

4 - Unknown Caller

Im having a bit of trouble recalling this after Moment...lol...... Starts off quietly ...."sunshine, sunshine"...the vocals were quite jolted / almost chanting and Edge (and maybe Eno/Lanois) on backing vocals....reminded me of The Unforgettable era........although parts of Edge's guitar reminded me of Joshua Tree

"shout for joy if you get the chance"....."speed dialling with no signal at all"

5 - I'll go crazy if I dont go crazy tonight"

Another more fast paced track - maybe a future single....lots of drums and heavy bass and has a classic Ooohh Ohhh we can all sing along to on tour!!!!!! Almost shouts the chorus. I felt like Bono was singing to his wife in a few parts..... "every beauty needs to go out with an idiot" lol......" the right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear"...."It's not a hill, its a mountain - as you start out the climb"

6 - get on your boots

Well, this fits so perfectly right here and when you hear it you will know exactly what I mean!!!!! I looked at a few familiar faces in the room and we all were beaming and frankly I wanted to jump on the table and dance!!!!! Perfect perfect placement and the fast tempo is just what's needed at that point.

7 - Stand Up Comedy

You can hear the Led Zeppelin influence and it rocks!!!!!!!!! Drums are standout and Edge with a really heavy riff....LOVED this track!!!!!! Very rock and will be another classic live.....

"stand up for hope, faith, love"..."stand up to my ego but my ego its not really my enemy"...."be careful of small men with big ideas".....lol.....time to get past the height thing Bono - we all love you!!!!!!!

8 - Fez/ Being Born

Slow paced track - Fez is beautiful...only goes for maybe 1 minute....very experimental Eno.....lots of background sounds and Bono's "let me in the sound" quietly playing over....has a quirky circus sounding riff....and then BANG....into Being Born.....huge bass on this track....not alot of vocals.......very Eno

9 - White as snow

Gorgeous slower track....quite traditional Irish sounding and Bono is remembering many years ago.......time spent with his brother and travelling around the home land......"as boys we would go hunting in the woods"..."and the water was icy as it washed over me"...."if only a heart could be white as snow"......beautiful song!

10 - Breathe

Very fast paced song...Piano to start.... awesome drumming...big Larry track!!!!.not as quick as REM's "end of the world" vocally but Bono is speaking/ singing very quickly......this song is very dense...so much going on and will take quite a few listens to grasp...this has the cockatoo reference ...lol.....talking about being a travelling salesman....then there is a gorgeous cello/violin section toward the end, then lots of Edge to finish.....I liked it but need to hear it more....
" got a love you cant defeat"

11- Cedars of lebanon

Medium paced - Bono is speaking through most of this...like One Step Closer....sounds amazing...deep vocals....story of a soldier...backing vocal is very choral, probably eno/lanois and Larry's drumming is very military.....again, I need more listens but I liked it alot - quite an abrupt end to" the album...." this shitty world sometimes produces a rose"......."choose you enemies carefully coz they will define you"

Over all, absolutely LOVED it....lots of classic U2 sounds and moments but not like anything else they've done....theyve blended so many new sounds and when you think you know where a track is going, it turns! Bono's vocals are outstanding - as great as ever and they vary so much....some shouting style, classic singing, speaking, whispering, and a little falsetto!

Stand outs for me are No line on the horizon, magnificent, Moment of surrender, GOYB, Stand up Comedy & Cedars.......

2 listens and I need another 100!!!!!! Paulie, Mac, Rich, Gibbo....you're going to LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!! And to hear it loud.....get ready for those stadiums!!!!!!!!

The next singles have not been decided yet, as previously reported.
There is so much more I wish I could express but I am exhausted from all the excitement.....and as a fan of 24 years, I am so excited to get my copy and immerse myself in it........will be one of their best albums....2009 IS U2's year................

And finally, as it turns out, 2 other Aussies made it in to hear the album as well ;) Leonie and Nik.....so we have been 3 very lucky Aussies and you couldnt have seen 3 happier people!!!!!!!!!!

We couldnt help but take a few pics afterwards...the grins say it all!!!!!!!

Also for the Aussies, album will now be out feb 27th - say day as Ireland....woo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!

Me and Leonie

ok....this review just almost made my head explode....holy fuck I want this album...I have a feeling I will have this album on 24/7 repeat everywhere I go...my life will be consumed :drool: :drool: :drool:

BRING IT!!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

I thought I was gonna HATE Crazy Tonight... but after the 30 secs, and after reading this... I think it'll be one of my favorites... just by these lyrics I already like it

a lyric for my girlfriend - "every beauty needs to go out with an idiot"

and one specially for me - "the right to be ridiculous is something I hold dear".

:hyper:

Surreal.

Can reviewers be any more contradictory? First we have the ones saying it's different from everything U2 have done before and it won't go down well with mainstream radio and casual fans, than we have the ones saying it's classic U2/old U2/U2 by numbers, whatever. It's ridiculous. I think everyone wants to hear what they want to hear. Collecting and reviewing the reviews confuses the hell out of me, it's like everybody has heard a different album. And in the end, all of it won't matter to me because I only care for my own impression of the album.

Judging from the clips I agree with this guy that Cedars and Snow will be brilliant songs. MOS can wander, I have a totally Blue Room feeling about that song, which is not a bad thing.

U2 tour.de says the magazine Musicexpress has a 2 page story on NLOTH plus album review.

Back
Top Bottom