NLOTH Album Reviews Pt 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Boots only job is to be an excuse for the band to show up at the grammys etc with a high energy song
I don't think it needs to be a successful single (though of course the band would love it to be) but to create awareness
I never heard anyone in / around the band mention Boots as a highlight, a favourite or one of the best songs
it has been mentioned as being an obvious single
and it is

Look at the music climate now compared to AB. A lot of rock, less rap, and for what it seems, less sugar coated stuff. Now if you're some chick from Disney, you will have a top hit without really trying to hard. The music sells more because of the artist rather than the music. I know this has gone on for a long time, but it really seems to be at a peak right now.

F***ING JONAS BROTHERS! :banghead:

:wink:

I think Boots only job is to be an excuse for the band to show up at the grammys etc with a high energy song
I don't think it needs to be a successful single (though of course the band would love it to be) but to create awareness
I never heard anyone in / around the band mention Boots as a highlight, a favourite or one of the best songs
and it is

that's a very good point. i think a lot of people have been ignoring U2's intentions to release a truly great "album" instead of a strong lead off single overshadowing the album. to many casual fans, if you mention ATYCLB or HTDAAB, you usually have to remind them those were the albums that had Beautiful Day and Vertigo, respectively.

Guys didn't anyone post the English translation of that German review we got the other day? I don't remember seeing it

So not an excuse :wink:

Man, I should take some math lessons... I just compared the size of the first "half" and the second "half" :D

I just wish "comedy" didn't that that "Little Old Lady Line" it sounds stupid, but the rest of the tune could be fine.

Curious, but I wonder if U2 just worked with Lanois sometime without Brian. Not a slam, but I would be curious to hear something of that. See Lanois and Emmy Lou Harris "I love You" for a reference of course.

Eno already in the studio with Coldplay again. Har har.

Someone did their own review article thingy about the 30 second clips. Might as well post it :lol:

Put On Your Boots most upbeat
Tue, February 10, 2009
CD REVIEW: Wal-Mart let its website users in on a sampling of U2's No Line on the Horizon -- for a short while at least

It only takes a few seconds to make a good first impression -- or a colossally bad mistake.

Wal-Mart may have pulled off both at once this weekend when the retail behemoth posted 22-second clips of all the songs on U2's upcoming album -- No Line on the Horizon, out March * -- onto its website. Naturally, the clips were quickly removed -- but not before they got on their boots and rampaged to the outer horizons of the interwebs.

A horrifying public relations nightmare or a Machiavellian marketing scheme? We'll let you be the judge. We'll stick to what we do: Making half-baked snap judgments about music.

Here are our first impressions of the new U2 tracks:

No Line on the Horizon
A moody opener -- if the noisy keyboard-and-guitar drone and heartbeat-thump backbeat are any sign. Things seem to get prettier in the chorus, though.

Magnificent
Edge's chiming melodies and choppy strumming, Larry Mullen's snare rolls, Bono wailing the title -- this is closer to typical U2. But maybe a little bouncier and poppier.

Moment of Surrender
Just layers of churchy keyboards set to a sparse, slow-burning groove. There are no vocals in this clip, so your guess is as good as ours where it goes from here.

Unknown Caller
Glistening guitar arpeggios give way to another low-key beat -- and some indistinct falsetto crooning from Bono. Another ballad? Unknown.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Finally, some lyrics and OK ones: "Every beauty needs to go out with an idiot," sings Bono. Too bad he's singing them over yet another gently jangly backdrop. It's got a bit more energy than the last few cuts, but come on -- where's the rock?

Get On Your Boots
Finally, here it is: U2 revamps Pump it Up for the disco-rock masses. So far, this is easily the most upbeat track.

Stand Up Comedy
The band serves up a dash of slow-rolling funk, while Bono seems to be urging us to "stop helping God across the road like a little old lady." Um, sure.

Fez -- Being Born
It starts off all atmospheric and woozy -- with Bono chanting "Let me hear the sound" in the background -- then shifts midway into something groovier. Could be interesting.

White as Snow
With its spooky ambiance and plucked acoustic guitar, this ballad sounds fittingly wintry -- and just a teeny bit like Radiohead.

Breathe
A sweeping, swaggering blues-rock waltz with a touch of '70s Zeppish grandeur. It sounds promising. Until Bono announces "I wasn't going to buy just anyone's cockatoo, so why would I invite a complete stranger into my home? Would you?" What the . . . ?

Cedars of Lebanon
"Woke up in my clothes in a dirty heap," Bono rasps over the umpteenth smoky, ambient soundscape. After all those ballads, you'd think they'd go out with a bang, not a whimper. Apparently not -- but time will tell.

Ok... I can't believe we managed to get to three threads with only a few reviews :lol:

What version of NLOTH featured on the 22/33 sec clips ? I cant decide.

what i do know is that critical reviews in mainstream publications are going to be absolutely crucial for the album to do well.

Yes, the music world has totally fractured. I worked for a label from ‘98-’02 just as it was really starting to hit. You know the 80/20 rule? In music it used to 95/5. 95% of sales came from 5% of the product, but as much as the general decline of physical sales kicked in, the fracturing and long tail in music did as well and caused almost as much of an earthquake around the industry. And of course that has a huge impact on promotion.

It’s a curse for U2 because they sort of need it all, or at least want it all, and in 2009 it’s no-where near as simple or reliable.

1) Mass market acceptance – things like a great People magazine review, the review you catch over a coffee on a Sunday morning in your local newspaper, a Grammy appearance, an iPod ad etc. The 35-40+ demographic that were their War-UF-JT-RH era base, but also still the best way to hit wide – the risk is this is where you get push back from anyone under 30.

2) Dinosaur music media approval – Rolling Stone love, big commercial FM radio support etc. Gen X still pay attention to these to some degree. The big thing to remember though is that these don’t matter so much anymore. You can fail here and easily recover with…

3) Online buzz – music blogs, large online sites like Pitchfork. Yes, Pitchfork. They’re cynical arseholes, but generally fair. If it’s good (and I know their definition of ‘good’ is a very different thing to People or Rolling Stone even) they’ll definitely say so. They pummeled Atomic Bomb, but Get On Your Boots was given a very good review there. Not crazy love, but definitely a fair “give this a go with an open mind, it’s not too bad”, which is honestly what it deserves – it’s not a genius, original, out of this world song – so it will be interesting to see how the rest of the album goes over there. 20 somethings, the ones who open their wallets the most and fill the stadiums, are only paying attention to online buzz and practically nothing else. By far, I think, the most important category for them.

4) Drive by pop culture buzz – small things here and there like their appearance on Entourage last time around, or a general increase of late in allowing the use of their music on other tv shows (it was a big fucking deal in the mid 90s when U2 allowed Friends to use With or Without You, but in the ATYCLB/HTDAAB era its happened quite a lot), and I’d expect to see more cuddling up to much younger acts and celebrities in general. Expect it to get more clever as well. U2 name dropping more frequently, but less of them themselves. So maybe not actual concert footage on Entourage, but maybe U2 weaving somehow into, say, a Gossip Girl story, whether in a big way (The 'I need front row U2 tickets or she won’t sleep with me!' episode) or small (casual name dropping 'oh U2, I loooove them'). Introduce some Teens/Tweens to U2, which, just quietly, they have been doing surprisingly well at this decade.

and it is

:up: the hype for Vertigo was huge, this time they're hyping the album and talking about songs (Breathe, UC, NLOTH etc) that wont be released as singles

U2 name dropping more frequently, but less of them themselves. So maybe not actual concert footage on Entourage, but maybe U2 weaving somehow into, say, a Gossip Girl story, whether in a big way (The 'I need front row U2 tickets or she won’t sleep with me!' episode) or small (casual name dropping 'oh U2, I loooove them'). Introduce some Teens/Tweens to U2, which, just quietly, they have been doing surprisingly well at this decade.

so i saw "Taken" this past weekend. it's really well-made, even if it's politics are shockingly reactionary.

but one of the very, very minor subplots is that Liam Neeson's fatuous 17 year old daughter is sneaking off to Paris to follow U2 around for their European Tour.

the idea of rich-idiot 17 year old girls from LA jetting off to Europe so they can follow U2 around for the summer was probably the most unrealistic part of that movie. yet ... could it have been a plant?

Back
Top Bottom