NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't consider "bonus tracks" to be part of the album asthetic. None of my albums have bonus tracks on them, so I don't know what it is to hear HTDAAB end in Fast Cars, or ATYCLB end in TGBHF.

I always forget about others not having these tracks on their albums. The Ireland/UK versions both contain these 'added tracks.' To me, having TGBHF at the end of ATYCLB book ends that album with two great tracks. I find it hard to imagine the album without it. It adds greatly to ATYCLB, in my opinion. Similiarly with Fast Cars on HTDAAB, though that album still doesn't do much for me. It does, again, add significantly, to it. Although not to the same extent as the former.

It's a pity most don't have these tracks on their versions. To me they are, especially TGBHF, an essential part of the album experience.

I agree, it's not one of my favourite U2 songs but I think it's a great closer. It sums up the feeling of the album I think. Even with more depressing songs like Sometimes and OSC, I generally get a more happy feeling from Bomb, like U2 are just enjoying making music.

Which is why I think a truly great ALBUM has a mix of hits and role player songs, so to speak. Yahweh has a role and it plays it well. Its not a hit, its a closer and therefore its impact relates more to the rest of the album and less on its own. (If that makes sense) This next album sounds like it'll have some of those role play songs that might work. Not to start another HTDAAB argument, but my biggest pet peave about it is that there are not enough role players in there. Kind of like a baseball team.....all stars, but no role players to know their role and get the job done. For me, October (the song) is one of the best examples of a perfect role playing song.

But then wouldn't the album potentially fall victim to the whole problem of the last couple of albums? IOW, big beginning and slow and boring end?

Just a thought. I like the idea of having something big and bright and potentially rocking towards the end vs. all moody and slow songs.

Possibly. No way to say at the moment, but I don't think MoS will be boring by any stretch--more in the vain of a One Tree Hill or Bad I'd guess. I guess I'm not convinced that Breathe fits in with the rest of the stuff going on at the end. But then I think about the outro...mmmm.

It's a pity most don't have these tracks on their versions. To me they are, especially TGBHF, an essential part of the album experience.

Its funny you say that, because I believe its totally the opposite.

I believe that if the song was truly meant to be part of the experience then it would have been included on all of the albums printed like the rest of the "non-bonus songs". But thats just me.

Time to put this thread out of its misery. Over 1000 posts.

I think we can do without a next 'part'. There are plenty of other existing threads to post in at the moment. Ideally we should wait until we hear the full songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom