NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this Blue Room talk is making me very excited, I'm holding out but this is in my top 10 songs...

Blue Room is an amazing song.

I know everyone is saying it's so hard to judge MoS on this clip because there is no vocals and it's a 7 min song but... the vibe I get from it is probably the deepest among all the songs right now. I just listened to it now and got chills. Hard to describe, but there is really something there and I am confident they won't fuck it up for the rest of the song.

There is TOTALLY a Blue Room vibe from that clip, mostly because it's drum-bass-piano-organ and kind of slow and trippy. But this is like Blue Room brought to another level... or at least it could be.

So yeah, you should be excited :wink:

I'm really loving this. I said it before, this is going to be one solid album from start to finish.

I think U2 should ditch the album name 'No Line On the Horizon' and rename it to 'Magnificent', cause that's the way I feel about it after hearing those snippets.

My first impression of Stand Up Comedy is::up::up::up:. Moment of Surrender feels like those late night songs that are perfect to close the night and from what I read in previews it has a lot of amazing Edge guitar work in them. This album is from first impression not one of those slick, commercial, thirteen in a dozen affairs but bold and adventurous. I am most surprised by Larry's drumming. It is totally in the front and magnificent (think about Larry drumming on Bad and you know what I mean).

I hear absolutely nothing wrong with Magnificent, based on that clip, but I'm a little disappointed. I really don't want it to be that upbeat all the way through, I guess. There's a time and a place for that, and I don't think it suits Magnificent's melody particularly well.

Well, with a title like MAGNIFICENT, I think it would be pretty hard not to have it be an upbeat song... ;)

I can't understand people giving out about Bono's voice or 'stand up comedy', they sound great to me. MOS is very Enigma sounding to me and Bono does his Nick cave impression for COL.:drool:

Can't really make anything up from such a short clip. It sounds good but i need to hear a full song to give my judgement.

Initial thoughts...

1. No Line... very atmospheric, the verses sound interesting, the chorus will need to be elaborated on and expanded out later in the song for it to be considered a great song, at this stage I would call this song innovative and experimental, and that definitely goes for the chorus from what we have heard so far... has a very strong aura not of Achtung, but in fact of The Unforgettable Fire (the album), reminds me a lot of Wire or Indian Summer Sky, very experimental sounds, eerie... Very Eno...

2. Magnificent... does what is says on the tin.... Magnificent is as Magnificent does, clearly at this stage, the stand out, based on the 30 second clips... beautifully fast paced, deliciously drummed, shimmering rock music the likes of which no one is playing in the world at the moment, a real blend of 80s and 90s U2 at their best... real U2, not "classic", just the real deal U2 rock band from Ireland that we haven't heard enough of since Achtung Baby.... please let this be the direction of their next triumvirate of albums

3. Moment of Surrender... the 30 second clip sounds promising and yes, I agree with the So Cruel comparisons... you can already tell the song will have a beautiful, melodic, lounge-like arrangement.... I really like what I hear so far, I like the atmosphere and the tune and the style... sounds really relaxing, yes, like some of the best moments on Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop... for some reason I keep thinking of "Evidence" by Faith No More, due to its lounge style... the other 6.5 minutes could be anything, but any song recorded in one take and considered by the band plus Eno and Lanois to be good enough to go straight to the record, must be good....

4. Unknown Caller... nice intro and very high pitched vocal from Edge in this 30-second clip... which is nothing like the rest of the song... I can't wait for it to morph into the beach clip we know and love... I adore the beach clip and the chanting / humming chorus... along with Magnificent, the beach clip in my opinion feels like "real U2"... the spirit is in the air!

5. Crazy Tonight.... this does not capture me so far, I sincerely hope there is much, much more to the song and the sounds than what we hear in the 30 second clip... and I hope none of what we have heard is the chorus... maybe I am being harsh with only a 30 second listen, but this just does not grab me at all... in fact so far I'd have to say this sounds like one of those rare U2 songs I am repelled from listening to! I would encourage U2 to ditch plans to make this the next single... I can smell the badly chosen singles of Pop and the disastrous effect it had on record sales with Crazy.... sounds out of place given the good start to the album we have just had...

6. Boots - as per my previous review of the single, I can't raise Boots much past 6/10... U2 should have written this with three "You don't know how beautiful you are" choruses rather than two... a third one at the end would have added more substance to the song, which sounds throw-away with just two choruses... As has been the case since "Pop", the first single is nothing like the rest of the album...

7. Stand Up - see my comments above on Crazy Tonight, only maybe a bit more innovative and less candy floss and ice cream... I hope it starts to rock harder as it twists and turns, sounds strangely soft... The funkiness is nice, but I need to hear more to be able to make any further comments... I am starting to think this album is more in the direction of the "third part of the 00s trilogy" rather than a new direction or a step back to "Achtung" era sounds...

8. FEZ / Being Born - these songs could be the saviour of the album, steering it back towards innovation, new sounds, trippier, crunchier drums and tastier guitars and bizarre melodies and musical directions... don't hear enough to be able to say for sure, but perhaps the album is going to be the start of a new direction after all...

9. White as Snow - back to stripped down, back to basics.... hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I have never been a huge fan of the slower, acoustic balads... But I have read reports that this song undergoes total transitions and changes and really ramps up the rock as it evolves... I hope so because it sounds a bit sad and depressing, and it can't keep up the sadness without adding intensity as it builds up...

10. Breathe - I agree with Eno that this is one of their best song's of all time... just as I was getting worried that the second half of the album was fading out not with a bang but with a whimper, along comes this scortcher to revive me... I find it intriguing that Breathe is buried at #10... this could quite easily go up the pecking order and sit in the first half of the album, or smack-bang in the middle... the 30 second clip sounds fantastic, and for those who have heard the beach clip... wait til you hear the chorus... and when you hear it reserve judgement and listen to it about five times in a row... you will want to be there inside the record singing backing vocals with Edge, Eno and Lanois... a strong song to almost wrap up the record... and

11. Cedars - well, I actually can't say anything, the 30-second clip has not given anything away, I am actually unable, at this time, to form any judgement... funnily enough, I had a similar experience with Yahweh on Atomic Bomb... could not get a handle on the early stages of the song, had to listen many times to actually get it and get the melody and structure sorted out in my head... hopefully this will be as good as Yahweh, which I love.

Well, I can't wait to hear the whole album, I look forward to going back and revising my opinions when the story of No Line On The Horizon starts to unfold...

Initial thoughts...

1. No Line... very atmospheric, the verses sound interesting, the chorus will need to be elaborated on and expanded out later in the song for it to be considered a great song, at this stage I would call this song innovative and experimental, and that definitely goes for the chorus from what we have heard so far... has a very strong aura not of Achtung, but in fact of The Unforgettable Fire (the album), reminds me a lot of Wire or Indian Summer Sky, very experimental sounds, eerie... Very Eno...

2. Magnificent... does what is says on the tin.... Magnificent is as Magnificent does, clearly at this stage, the stand out, based on the 30 second clips... beautifully fast paced, deliciously drummed, shimmering rock music the likes of which no one is playing in the world at the moment, a real blend of 80s and 90s U2 at their best... real U2, not "classic", just the real deal U2 rock band from Ireland that we haven't heard enough of since Achtung Baby.... please let this be the direction of their next triumvirate of albums

3. Moment of Surrender... the 30 second clip sounds promising and yes, I agree with the So Cruel comparisons... you can already tell the song will have a beautiful, melodic, lounge-like arrangement.... I really like what I hear so far, I like the atmosphere and the tune and the style... sounds really relaxing, yes, like some of the best moments on Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop... for some reason I keep thinking of "Evidence" by Faith No More, due to its lounge style... the other 6.5 minutes could be anything, but any song recorded in one take and considered by the band plus Eno and Lanois to be good enough to go straight to the record, must be good....

4. Unknown Caller... nice intro and very high pitched vocal from Edge in this 30-second clip... which is nothing like the rest of the song... I can't wait for it to morph into the beach clip we know and love... I adore the beach clip and the chanting / humming chorus... along with Magnificent, the beach clip in my opinion feels like "real U2"... the spirit is in the air!

5. Crazy Tonight.... this does not capture me so far, I sincerely hope there is much, much more to the song and the sounds than what we hear in the 30 second clip... and I hope none of what we have heard is the chorus... maybe I am being harsh with only a 30 second listen, but this just does not grab me at all... in fact so far I'd have to say this sounds like one of those rare U2 songs I am repelled from listening to! I would encourage U2 to ditch plans to make this the next single... I can smell the badly chosen singles of Pop and the disastrous effect it had on record sales with Crazy.... sounds out of place given the good start to the album we have just had...

6. Boots - as per my previous review of the single, I can't raise Boots much past 6/10... U2 should have written this with three "You don't know how beautiful you are" choruses rather than two... a third one at the end would have added more substance to the song, which sounds throw-away with just two choruses... As has been the case since "Pop", the first single is nothing like the rest of the album...

7. Stand Up - see my comments above on Crazy Tonight, only maybe a bit more innovative and less candy floss and ice cream... I hope it starts to rock harder as it twists and turns, sounds strangely soft... The funkiness is nice, but I need to hear more to be able to make any further comments... I am starting to think this album is more in the direction of the "third part of the 00s trilogy" rather than a new direction or a step back to "Achtung" era sounds...

8. FEZ / Being Born - these songs could be the saviour of the album, steering it back towards innovation, new sounds, trippier, crunchier drums and tastier guitars and bizarre melodies and musical directions... don't hear enough to be able to say for sure, but perhaps the album is going to be the start of a new direction after all...

9. White as Snow - back to stripped down, back to basics.... hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I have never been a huge fan of the slower, acoustic balads... But I have read reports that this song undergoes total transitions and changes and really ramps up the rock as it evolves... I hope so because it sounds a bit sad and depressing, and it can't keep up the sadness without adding intensity as it builds up...

10. Breathe - I agree with Eno that this is one of their best song's of all time... just as I was getting worried that the second half of the album was fading out not with a bang but with a whimper, along comes this scortcher to revive me... I find it intriguing that Breathe is buried at #10... this could quite easily go up the pecking order and sit in the first half of the album, or smack-bang in the middle... the 30 second clip sounds fantastic, and for those who have heard the beach clip... wait til you hear the chorus... and when you hear it reserve judgement and listen to it about five times in a row... you will want to be there inside the record singing backing vocals with Edge, Eno and Lanois... a strong song to almost wrap up the record... and

11. Cedars - well, I actually can't say anything, the 30-second clip has not given anything away, I am actually unable, at this time, to form any judgement... funnily enough, I had a similar experience with Yahweh on Atomic Bomb... could not get a handle on the early stages of the song, had to listen many times to actually get it and get the melody and structure sorted out in my head... hopefully this will be as good as Yahweh, which I love.

Well, I can't wait to hear the whole album, I look forward to going back and revising my opinions when the story of No Line On The Horizon starts to unfold...

How one can say so much with 30seconds clips is beyond me...

Anyway, I'm really excited to hear the full version of NLOTH, but I can't say a lot more about the clips because 30seconds are not enough for me to form an opinion...
But these clips made me :drool: for more... Please, LEEEAK!!!

My opinion on each song:

No Line on the Horizon: I thought this song would be really bad, but I actually love this tune. I thought it would be more rock, similiar to GOYB, but this sounds like a soothing, beautiful song to me. Wonderful, actually.

Magnificent: Great guitar-work, and seems to have a great melody. Hard to make out how good the lyrics will be since the only thing Bono says is "Magnificent" and some other sounds but well, my guess is that it's gonna be a hit when it's released as the third single.

Moment of Surrender: Hard to make out how good this song is, since it's just instrumental in this part but it sounds similiar to One, indeed. Must be heard in full to appreciate.

Unknown Caller: Sounds like another great song, but how the vocals are performed you cannot be certain of from this short clip. Could be great, but could also be bad.

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight: The sound seems a bit weak, but pretty good now as well. The vocal performance is superb, and while it probably won't be a hit like Viva la Vida for Coldplay, it will probably be a song that the radio stations will like.

Get On Your Boots: We've all heard it in full, so nothing strange here. A good song in my opinion, it sucks for some.

Stand Up Comedy: Didn't like it on the first listen, but it's growing on me and it's starting to become likeable. Bono and Edge team up on the vocals.

Fez-Being Born: This is a strange track. The first part, probably supposed to be Fez contains a weak sound with actually the "Let me in the sound"-part from GOYB in it. Probably a song I won't like. The second part which you only get to hear for like 5 seconds sounds great, though. Similiar to The Unforgettable Fire in some way, and I like it. Miss and hit on this one, so far.

White As Snow: Slow ballad with focus on the vocals. If this is the new Winter, which was supposed to be 6 minutes long, then something radical probably has to happen to keep the listener awake. Otherwise good.

Breathe: Great, rocking song. Fast and awesome vocals with a nice guitar riff which sometimes reminds of Vertigo. This song, however sounds much better.

Cedars of Lebanon: It's the last song, and perhaps you shouldn't have too many expectations on that song, but don't like this very much right now. Boring, and needs more force and power in it. Hopefully the full song contains some of that.

This was just my opinion on the songs from these short clips (well, except for GOYB) and are mostly meant for those who doesn't want to listen to the clips until the full album arrives. :wave:

How one can say so much with 30seconds clips is beyond me...

Anyway, I'm really excited to hear the full version of NLOTH, but I can't say a lot more about the clips because 30seconds are not enough for me to form an opinion...
But these clips made me :drool: for more... Please, LEEEAK!!!

Your right 30 second clips can't tell you much, my clips are only 22 seconds long. It's all very exciting stuff.

Initial thoughts...

This is an awesome take. Here are my opinions, not much unlike yours:

1. NLOTH- This captured me immediately. I am relieved to hear them dodge the "big poppy opener" card on this one for something more sedate and ephemeral. Big fan so far....

2. Magnificent- Spectacular layering, REALLY hope we hear that big beach clip chorus kick in, as well as that outro by the Edge that was so memorable. Great 2 track run so far.

3. MOS- Too tough to judge, but I can feel the anticipation in there just from this. I hope it builds into something large, because the next track needs a heavy foot to kick into it...

4. UC- If like the beach clip, I dig it. Tonally, I am not sure I like that Edge vocal in the beginning, as it reminds me of some of the (no offense) absolutely ridiculous and downright comical bells and whistles Lillywhite added to HTDAAB. I pray we're not going there again....

5. Crazy Tonight- I don't get this one. Is this U2's "Mother" a la The Police on "Synchronicity"? It doesn't seem to fit here at all, and unless I'm hearing the bridge here (which I think we are) it seems like a weak track.

6. Boots- Here for a reason, and I look forward to finding out why. Safe first single, too clean in my opinion, but I wasn't expecting to love something with that title anyway. Solid, tolerable song.

7. Stand Up- If this is Zeppelin, then I look like Brad Pitt. The best part of it so far is the blusey-ness Edge seems to be showing, which really shines out in this one. Promising.

8. Fez/BB- Like it. So far, I think this is a "reboot" to a darker, more downer "second act" of the album, reflected by some of the lyrics and as one other poster mentioned, Bono's singing style (more spoken word, etc.). Interesting, and nice to seem them tinkering.

9. White as Snow- Definitely what I heard, based on that. And this does build up. That piano track we heard Eno playing shows up here at the end. I already liked this one, and now is no different. Great. As I mentioned then and now, this could have easily been on MDH soundtrack.

10. Breathe- Fantastic. Unlike most of you, I like the additional sound elements, as well as the "These days" part. It breaks up a very choppy verse structure and leads into a melodic chorus, also leaving the band space to come back "in time" at that. Really dig it so far, and hope it keeps up.

11. Cedars of Lebanon- Jury's out. But I like the sedate ending with a sedate opening. (EDITORS NOTE: Ends where it started, you see, like there was no line on the horizon.......ahhh, these men are geniuses!). Depending on the mood set by the rest of the band by this one, could be the perfect ending.

FIRST TAKE- I like it. So far. When I first heard "Bomb", I listened to "OOTS", "Vertigo", and "A Man and a Woman", and skipped through the other ones. I did not enjoy it. With ATYCLB, I listened a couple times, then became track specific. Same with Pop. This is the first album since Zooropa I am compelled to take as one, collective "sound" needing to be heard all at once. I like that, and hope that is actually how it translates with the full record.

Just one man's opinion....

Right maybe its just me,but the first bit of no line before the chorus sounds like the song in silence of the lambs. When the guy is dressed like a women and dancing around in front of the mirror!:reject:

Right maybe its just me,but the first bit of no line before the chorus sounds like the song in silence of the lambs. When the guy is dressed like a women and dancing around in front of the mirror!:reject:

:hmm:........and there was that whole drag thing going on with AB eh!

You should all be ashamed of yourselves. You wait this long to blow your loads on 22 second clips? I'd be happier if I hadn't even heard Boots. These clips are a bummer. Can't wait for a fresh album listening.

Ive slept, returned to the clips...I still dont seem to be hearing what the majority is hearing. :sad:

Bonos voice in my opinion sounds very bad, especially on magnificent (though he only says magnificent) and breathe. He sounds tired and just going through the motions.

So far, boots is my fav.

The music is elevator/video gamish.

Here are my impressions of the clips, after almost a day of listening:

No Line - I really like this. Lyrics sound good, although Bono's voice is kinda... off... to me. Instrumentation is excellent. I'm really excited for this one.
Magnificent - The title says it all. This clip is really, really good. By far my favourite.
Moment of Surrender - I love the mood set. Very Passengers-esque. I really want to hear the rest of it; I have a feeling it will be a masterpiece.
Unknown Caller - Same as MOS. Very beautiful mood created, and Edge's falsettos are great. I really want to hear the rest.
Crazy Tonight - Pleasantly surprised. Kinda sounds like a better version of ATYCLB. But the lyrics that we can hear are kinda iffy (although better than they could have been).
Stand Up - Again, pleasantly surprised. Lyrics seem decent, although I'm not sure about the little old lady part. We'll see on this.
Fez-Being Born - All I know is that I really, really want to hear more.
White as Snow - :doh: I really don't like this one. Instrumentation is intriguing, but I'm not sure about Bono's voice... and I really, really don't like the lyrics that I hear.
Breathe - Wow... I'm really intrigued by this. Instrumentation is absolutely amazing. Bono's voice sounds awesome, but his lyrics are just bizarre (not a bad thing, per se). It will be interesting to hear all of the verses in context with the chorus, which I really liked in the beach clip.
Cedars - Similar to White as Snow, except, where I really dislike WAS's lyrics, these just piss me off. Again... we'll see.

Overall, I would say that these clips sound instrumentally stunning. In particular, I haven't heard Larry sound this amazing in a long, long time (perhaps ever). But Bono's kind of scaring me. I'm trying not to judge him yet, because how a lyric sounds can really change when put back in context. But lyrics are a huge thing that I listen to in music, and I'm struggling to hear much of anything that impresses me on here. Yet.

Im actualy sorry i listened to them,i REALLY cant wait for this album now. And after the ''let me in the sound'' bit on fez,it sounds so dark and heavy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom