NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This album needs a new rating system:

:drool::drool::drool: NLOTH, Magnificent
:drool::drool: Unknown Caller, Moment Of Surrender, FEZ - Being Born, White As Snow, Cedars of Lebanon
:drool: GOYB (this one stays here), Stand Up Comedy, Breathe (those two may go higher in the future)
:up: Crazy Tonight (ok, but kind of "meh" so far)

From what I read in the previews the songs are taking different twists and turns so the
U2.com clips may be in. You will first have to listen to the whole deal.

so far my favs are Stand up, NLOTH, Magnificent and Crazy Tonight

Intriguing me are Unknown Caller (as the beach clip is so different, and we obviously only have intro in that snippet), Fez-BB, White as Snow, Breathe (not as pissed off in the vocal, but still wrks), MOS

Cedars is probably the one I like the least, but only because slow songs always sound shit in the 30 second snippets

yeah seriously....wtf is up with Bono's voice...I mean it sounds great, better than Bomb, much more clear, and he hits the high notes effortlessly it seems....but there's a thinness to it that I was not expecting at all....it takes away the classic Bono epicness that we're so used to hearing...I don't know....I think these 30 second clips are veeeerrryyy deceiving in a lot of ways....I wouldn't be surprised if, when I hear the songs from start to finish, my opinion will be different. However, at this moment, Bono's vocals are not what Danny Lanois and others made it out to be...how many times did he say Bono was "singing like a bird" ?! I mean yeah it sounds great but where is the thickness and POWER that we're used to hearing....the last truly great record for Bono's voice specifically was AB, and every album after that actually got gradually a little worse each time it seems....But I was expecting NLOTH to be the next great one for BonBon....it's not happening so far....but I could very well just be fooled by these short little clips of seemingly completely random sections of each song...

on another note, a very random note......anyone notice the drum fill at the very end of NLOTH clip? sounds pretty cool, I'm lovin it :up:

I don't understand your point - I think these clips are amazing. His voice is better than ever.

I think people need to get over Achtung Baby - One of my favourite albums of all time. That was then and this is now. From what I've heard so far I believe this album will stand up to any of their previous work.

So maybe iTunes will have different 30 sec clips for each song. We would have a whole minute per song. Then we would be able to share our ultimate definite impressions of each song.

This album easily sounds so far like some of their best work ever. Bono singing sounds like he's 15 years younger. What also impressed me was all the atmospheric sounds heard in most of the songs, which are very immersive - I think we can all say Eno has made that work. Larry's drumming is probably the most clear and best sounding since JT album to me. Another great aspect is Adam's baseline being more audible than the last album. All great stuff.:up:

Can't wait for the album.

Edit: Oops, nearly forgot (how could I forget?) The Edge sounds like nothing I've heard from him before. Very nice new sound, reminiscent of the change in sound from the 80's to 90's U2.

Last edited:
really love the 30 secs clips. so far, I'm absolutely in love with nloth, magnificent, unknown caller, I'll go crazy... & breathe :up:

also, the more I listen to fez, the more I can imagine it to be the opener for the concerts :hyper:

Favourite clip at the moment: Fez-being born. Beautiful first part and then the drums come crashing in and Edge doing what he does best: the heavenly one note.

I just can't get 'Magnificent' out of my head. It is huge on the beachclips, but the 30 sec. clip sounds as U2 on top of their musical heights.:hyper::hyper:

'Unknown caller' is one of my favourits too, but the 30 sec. clip is too short to get an impression. With 'breathe' ,'moment of surrender' it's the same

'NLOTH' is very surprising. 'White as snow' '' Crazy' and 'Cedars of Lebanon' sound very well. But it's too early to give it a '5star treatment'.

Fez-Being Born: SURPRISING!!!!! Get on your boots grows and grows.

I just don't know about Stand up Comedy. The clip is not the strongest among the others...:hmm:

I think the whole album is one of U2's best in their career so far.:applaud::applaud:

Last edited:
bugger! am holding out but thought this was beautiful... hope its used at some point. thanks!

:doh: sorry, I don't know what happened there, I thought you were asking about "larrystuff" clip...
the "dallas" clip would best fit on White As Snow, but it's not in the 30s clip :(

I won't listen to the clips (with 3 weeks to go), but one thing: is Moment of surrender worth the hype ?

As others have said, it's pretty much impossible to conclude anything from the clip because it seems to be from early on in the song and there are no vocals... BUT I personally get an amazing vibe from the 30 sec clip. It's kind of ambient/trippy ala Your Blue Room, but with a more complex chord sequence. I'm very very hopeful from what I've heard, although it doesn't seem like a song that could be a hit or anything. It's slow and deep, but in the best possible way.

Still it's just 30 sec and who knows what it will sound like when Bono comes in!

I hear absolutely nothing wrong with Magnificent, based on that clip, but I'm a little disappointed. I really don't want it to be that upbeat all the way through, I guess. There's a time and a place for that, and I don't think it suits Magnificent's melody particularly well.

See, I completely disagree. For me it's the opposite, I always really liked the Beach Clip, but I thought there was a danger the song would be a bit too slow/ambient and that it wouldn't suit it. I'm extremely pleased by the 30 sec clip because it's more upbeat than I initially thought, and I now think it could be the best song on the album. Totally classic bombastic U2, but you know what, it's in great part for music like that that I love this band so much so why would I complain? As long as it's good and doesn't seem forced... (but to assess that I'll have to hear the whole song)

I don't think people are 'hating' Stand Up, rather that from the clip it sounds like it COULD be a bit of a generic pop/rock song. Not a bad one, but maybe not a memorable one either. Personally it's the only clip I'm a bit unsure about, but that's miles away from hating it. I think the chorus (which we can only hear about 2 sec off) sounds quite promising. Looking forward to hear the whole thing.

In fact I don't even think there is anything really wrong with Stand Up, the fact that this is my least fav of the clip so far goes to show how strong this album is shaping up to be! Again, these are just 30 sec clips, but it seems like there could be no filler in there.

My rating (best first)

1. Magnificient
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Fez-Being Born
5. Cedars Of Lebanon
6. Unknown Caller
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. Breathe
9. Crazy tonight
10. White As Snow

Status