NLOTH 30 Second Walmart Clips - DISCUSSION THREAD - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the hell are people freaking out about the Magnificent clip, just because Bono is singing "magnificent?" You realize that all the previews have confirmed that the "only love can leave such a mark" lyrics are in the song - indicating the beach clip chorus has remained intact.

I like what I'm hearing in these clips very much, but I'm not going to form any real opinions until I hear the full album. 30 second clips can be misleading, so while I am excited by what I hear for the most part, I am trying to remain cautious.

The one thing I will say is that these clips have only reenforced my opinions of Lillywhite and Eno/Lanois. I don't think Lillywhite is a bad producer, I just think that while he worked well as their main producer in the early days, U2 have long since gotten to a level of creative and artistic talent that surpasses that of Lillywhite, and I think, as evidenced by Bomb, that Lillywhite as the main producer for U2 at this point holds them back creatively. He just doesn't know what to do artistically with with the stuff U2 comes up with. He's bound to play it safe more often than he is to push the envelope. Eno/Lanois - especially Eno - on the other hand, know how to coax the very best out of U2, they know how to push the band when the band needs a push, they know to get everything out of the band that the band has to give. Eno/Lanois are on that level of creativity and artistry(to be honest, they're probably on an even higher level, especially Eno), and they just simply know how to push U2 out of their safe zone. The two of them are just artists in a way that I think Lillywhite isn't, and their importance to U2's career cannot ever be understated.

Anyway, this does remind me of when u2.com was 'hacked' in its infancy back in the fall of 2000 and we got to hear the 30 second clips from ATYCLB for the first time. I played those things to death. If I remember correctly, the 30 second clip for Beautiful Day was the outro(what you don't have, you don't need it now, etc).

I just have to say, hearing these have officially made my day. :D I'll be coming back and listening often. I'm definitely intrigued by the new album. :love:

IT'S NOT A HILLLLL IT'S A MOOOOOOOUNTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That songs def gonna be one of the best on the album

Sounds very interesting doesn't it? It reminds of the sort of lyrics heard in the JT/RAH album. Very big landscape type lyrics about running, searching, which are both big, bold and very descriptive when used.

nam, I think I agree. Lillywhite was great for Boctowar but ever since UF, U2 have been more about soundscapes and atmosphere which continued up until ATYCLB... although it was to a lesser degree on ATYCLB. But Bomb had little atmosphere and more of beating everything over the head.. no subtlety! They should have never left Eno!

I haven't seen one positive response from you since last night. Do what you want but why bother really if the only thing you can do is complain. Maybe it's therapy for you.

QFT, i'm sick to death of hearing his negativity, it's the same post over and over again with exactly the same sentiment. We get it mate...

I like what I'm hearing in these clips very much, but I'm not going to form any real opinions until I hear the full album. 30 second clips can be misleading, so while I am excited by what I hear for the most part, I am trying to remain cautious.

The one thing I will say is that these clips have only reenforced my opinions of Lillywhite and Eno/Lanois. I don't think Lillywhite is a bad producer, I just think that while he worked well as their main producer in the early days, U2 have long since gotten to a level of creative and artistic talent that surpasses that of Lillywhite, and I think, as evidenced by Bomb, that Lillywhite as the main producer for U2 at this point holds them back creatively. He just doesn't know what to do artistically with with the stuff U2 comes up with. He's bound to play it safe more often than he is to push the envelope. Eno/Lanois - especially Eno - on the other hand, know how to coax the very best out of U2, they know how to push the band when the band needs a push, they know to get everything out of the band that the band has to give. Eno/Lanois are on that level of creativity and artistry(to be honest, they're probably on an even higher level, especially Eno), and they just simply know how to push U2 out of their safe zone. The two of them are just artists in a way that I think Lillywhite isn't, and their importance to U2's career cannot ever be understated.

Anyway, this does remind me of when u2.com was 'hacked' in its infancy back in the fall of 2000 and we got to hear the 30 second clips from ATYCLB for the first time. I played those things to death. If I remember correctly, the 30 second clip for Beautiful Day was the outro(what you don't have, you don't need it now, etc).

Very interesting observation. Obviously not taking anything away from Lillywhite he still has produced some great songs with U2... But yeah I think I'll have to agree with Lanois/Eno really pushing U2 and knowing what to get out of them...

you are right...i think the kite clip was , I'm a MAAAAAAAAANNNNN part

FEZ-Being Born was kinda weird at first, because the transition seemed a little to blunt for me, but it's growing slowly. I don't mind it as much. I like that it sounds kinda like a Zooropa/Passengers intro but ends in a very Unforgettable Fire sound. :love:

After hearing the clips a couple times now:
UC - Thought this was supposed to be the "F***off Rocker" that Edge talked about; this sounds like a watered down pop ballad that U2 could make in their sleep. Only thing that I think could save it is if it is the one with the chanting Eno, Lanois, Bono, Edge chorus.
Crazy Tonight - See comments for UC; thought this was supposed to be an electro-rock thing or something

Ok. It's one thing to dislike a song because it doesn't sound like someone else's description of it made you THINK it would sound.
It's an entirely different thing to dislike a song because you heard the descriptions wrong. No one said Unknown Caller was a "F*** off Rocker".
That was breathe.
Every description of Crazy Tonight has described it as the poppiest song on the album.

I realize that your caveats were that you'd only listened a couple of times and that they were just short snippets out of context, but please just try listening with your own ears instead of someone else's.

If anyone is watching the NBA on ABC they keep playing the "Let Me In The Sound!" part of Boots during the commercial break :D Happened about 3 times already. It's cool to hear it on TV. I like the song, I think it would have been even more of a :rockon: song if I had heard it for the first time on the album, but I love it anyway. Can't wait for the Grammy performance too.

Although I have been deeply impressed with each of the 30 sec clips, I think I'll hold out looking into the songs too much, because let's face it they were brief.

That's my favorite clip of the build-up (larryinstudio), and I've been feeling around for opinions on what happened to it. Crazy Tonight does seem closest, but I'm still not sure...glad to hear somebody else reference it, though!

I'm 90% certain it's this song. The bass sound and chord progression seem very similar.

Maybe someone else will weight in. Is this a stripped down early version of Crazy Tonight?

http://media.u2.com/flash/highlights/larryinstudio.swf

After first listen, Stand Up Comedy is my favorite, and I wouldn't have expected that.

The reaction, as usual, is fascinating. Sounds like Achtung/Zoo and I thought pretty much everyone still around here loved them.

Stand Up Comedy is the only one I don't like in some way (although I kind of like the double-track at the end). And I'm not crazy about Magnificent even though most love it (including my wife). What's ridiculous are the people assuming the "Only Love" stuff is out of the song when it's clearly the end of Magnificent with the drum roll and such. And we've been told it's in there anyway.

MOST RIDICULOUS are the folks saying they hate UC and MOS considering we've only heard intros. Granted they aren't as good as the Streets intro, but if you just heard the organ in that song could you really make an evaluation of the whole thing?

the only clips that give you a reasonable idea of the songs are: NLOTH and Crazy Tonight and to a lesser extent SUC and Breathe.

I wouldn't even bother forming and opinion on the rest. These clips are definately not highlights, they are just the bits in between.

They have highlighted the most awkward lyric in SUC 'little old lady' worst line on the album...

the only clips that give you a reasonable idea of the songs are: NLOTH and Crazy Tonight and to a lesser extent SUC and Breathe.

I wouldn't even bother forming and opinion on the rest. These clips are definately not highlights, they are just the bits in between.

They have highlighted the most awkward lyric in SUC 'little old lady' worst line on the album...

hey walt-thanks for all of your work

which clip is the worst representation of the song?...my bet would be unknown caller

unknown caller goes in a different direction. White as Snow is great, Fez goes elsewhere. Magnificent has a similar feel throughout but there are moments where it really takes off. Moment of surrender goes to a different place too...

Listening to the clips I was strengthened in my believe that White as snow may be my favourite song on that album. I only listened to the clips once, didn't download them and won't read the comments here, because I don't want it to spoil my excitement for the album. Some clips weren't representative at all, like intros and such, especially Magnificent, which is so much better if you hear the chorus and not just the intro (still sounds a lot like the beach clip). Fez didn't do anything for me exept confusing the hell out of me, but I think it's wrong to judge the songs by these short clips.

Btw, I'm most impressed by Bono's voice, especially on White as snow and Cedars. Also by most of the lyrics. And I'm really surprised by the title song, because I expected something else.

Thanks very much for your info. :up:

Does NLOTH reach that "abrasive rock sound" that it's been described as elsewhere in the song?

unknown caller goes in a different direction. White as Snow is great, Fez goes elsewhere. Magnificent has a similar feel throughout but there are moments where it really takes off. Moment of surrender goes to a different place too...

Hopefully to an even greater place than its already at. :drool:

SUC... is that chorus riff THE SUC riff?

And is it the larrstuff riff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom