"******"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

WTF? I know plenty of black people who go to U2 concerts. Just because they are a minority at the concert doesn't mean they don't generally go. Bono wouldn't have caught any flak for this, no where in the context of him using it was it offensive.

:yes:

My bad. I should have said, "Good thing, very few black people go to U2 concerts... (few as in almost nil)"

Also, you never know, what kind of backlash one gets from using the "n-word" especially if said by a caucasian fellow such as Bono. Sure, we can rationalize context but there are those that can't a mob mentality is easily created. Look at several sports broadcasters who got the boot b/c of insensitive remarks...

Last edited:
Flying FuManchu said:
Also, you never know, what kind of backlash one gets from using the "n-word" especially if said by a caucasian fellow such as Bono.

That's just it. Coming from a white person (American or not), words like "******" and "mammy" do sound racist. And considering this country's long and ugly struggle with civil rights, I can't honestly say I blame the African-American population.

Wasn't Bono quoting someone else's song with the "Pull my trigger..." bit in BTBS? I didn't see that lyric in the Patti Smith song previously posted. He's trying to make a statement, but I can't help feeling there had to be a better way to do it. :(

I have no problem with Bono's use of the n-word. I understand the context and even if I didn't know the context I wouldn't try to judge until I heard the entire context... However, all it takes is one word to cause people to go mobbish on you or for a few people to blow something out of proportion, as a result ruining you or the causes you may be promoting....

A word derived from ignorance and hate. Even today it is used as the ultimate insult -- yet, also used as a term of endearment between friends (usually of African descent, but also carrying over to Spanish decent as well)

A word that's transcended from an insult to blacks and carried over with a definition of someone who is lazy, ignorant, and a hindrance to society.

A word.
And just that -- a word.
Stop giving power to words of negativity and start giving power to words of a positive nature. I think you?ll find we?re better off.

Rachel D. said:
Just out of curiosity, do the Irish find the word "Paddy" offensive? I've never heard "Mick" before, just "Paddy."

Paddy an' Bridie. *sigh*

Up here in Boston there are neighborhoods where you might get into a fight for using it (southie) but it's not likely...

you may know that "paddywagon" for a police prisoner transport vehicle, came from the Irish stereotype of the "paddies always drinking an' fightin'" and getting arrested and hauled off en masse to cool it for the night at the local police station..

like everyone has said it's a matter of context.
I'm not apt to give a rat's patoot if you call *me* a paddy or a mick, but I'd probably get pissed if I heard someone use it as a generalized derogatory term.... the term 'NINA' makes me a lot angrier but it's nothing now, just a part of America's long history of hate....

wolfeden said:

Paddy an' Bridie. *sigh*

Up here in Boston there are neighborhoods where you might get into a fight for using it (southie) but it's not likely...

you may know that "paddywagon" for a police prisoner transport vehicle, came from the Irish stereotype of the "paddies always drinking an' fightin'" and getting arrested and hauled off en masse to cool it for the night at the local police station..

like everyone has said it's a matter of context.
I'm not apt to give a rat's patoot if you call *me* a paddy or a mick, but I'd probably get pissed if I heard someone use it as a generalized derogatory term.... the term 'NINA' makes me a lot angrier but it's nothing now, just a part of America's long history of hate....

NINA, really? It means godmother/or aunt, depending on how you pronounce it, for Spanish/Latin/Hispanic people. Talk about cultural differences. :)

Eddie Griffin, Chris Rock, and Dr. Dre are fans/have hung out with U2.

Public Enemy toured with U2.

And Ebony I think, had an article about Bono, and his work with DATA, and Jubilee 2000.

Besides, If John Lennon said the "n" word, suppose it's okay. Beatles are the one band you can't criticise.

thrillme said:

NINA, really? It means godmother/or aunt, depending on how you pronounce it, for Spanish/Latin/Hispanic people. Talk about cultural differences. :)

*nod* and "ni?a" for girl child....

but in this case it's an acronym that was found on signs in the windows of businesses that were hiring..

"No Irish Need Apply"

It's incredibly frustrating to me that for a long time the Irish in America weren't considered "white" and were treated like other minorities; blacks, chinese, etc.. as second-class citizens, and once we'd gained a little social foothold what did we do? turn right around and crap on the people we'd just been down in the mire with. :banghead:

now before anyone loses their mind at me, NO I'm not saying the Irish people are racists.
I'm talking about a specific population of American Irish, namely South Boston, and the ugliness that prevails there to this day. We came here in droves in '47 fleeing from the attitude that we were lesser beings... you'd think there'd be a little empathy for others coming from the same situations.

Which brings me back to the word that started this thread..... and the point that somehow no matter how badly treated any group of people is, they will always find someone to target as 'lower' and pass the same behavior on to them. This is found in every race, culture, creed and tribe... and it's a sad statement that we've advanced so far in things like medicine and science but still haven't worked out how not to hate.

wolfeden said:
Which brings me back to the word that started this thread..... and the point that somehow no matter how badly treated any group of people is, they will always find someone to target as 'lower' and pass the same behavior on to them. This is found in every race, culture, creed and tribe... and it's a sad statement that we've advanced so far in things like medicine and science but still haven't worked out how not to hate.

Amen. :sad: :hug:

Back
Top Bottom