NFL on CBS (u2 related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Z00rop@83

The Fly
in the middle of watching the chargers/patriots game and realized something awesome. they were just showing a small bit of a past superbowl and hold me thrill me kiss me was playing as background music. awesome to hear such an obscure semi-hit.

u'd expect beautiful day or city of blinding lights to be used...

just thought i'd share, very cool :wink:

the john mellencamp commercial will be played 70 times during the game.

it completely unbalances the awesomeness caused by Hold Me, Thrill Me...

wooo hoo! I heard it too!

And before I came home to watch the game.. I was in the grocery store and heard "Stuck in a Moment"...

Must be sign...:wink: Since I am routing for the Chargers!!:hyper:

go pats!!

speaking of u2 music on CBS, they must have sold out (just joking...i think...) and cut a deal, I just saw a preview for a Cold Case ep airing in a week or two: "a memorable episode with music from one of the world's greatest bands" with Window in the Skies playing along in the background.

I have noticed a big increase in rock and roll and football the last couple of years, especially CBS this year. I think it's great. A lot of songs always reminded me of football, and I always associated football with rock, even if the lyrics had nothing to do with it really. It's a perfect match, the energy level and mood fits well.

The Eagles always play "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" during booth reviews. Makes sense.

Sports and U2 have gone hand in hand for a while now...ESPECIALLY with the NFL. On any channel. They really like U2. I think mostly it's just the music generally has an epic sheen to it that goes well with the emotion of sports.

its been a big year for U2 sports...narrating the world cup, and playing the Superdome

is it just me or does any team that has U2 play for them get a huge stroke of fortune (Patriots and Saints) could U2 play down here in Miami???

Go SAINTS!!! Miami here we come!!! Since they played at the home opener here all the local channels and radio stations play U2 and a lot of other U2 songs in the background of their reports...it is about the only time around here they get any air play.

I'm kind of miffed at the U2 advertising package with the ESPN and other sports programming in the US. When I think of sport one of the last things I want to be thinking of is a bunch of scrawny (save for Bono) Irish guys.

It's like having sex with your girlfriend and all of a sudden Steve Perry and Journey's original lineup walk into your room and start playing Don't Stop Believin'. Right music, wrong place.

europop2005 said:
could U2 play down here in Miami???

if you're referring to them playing down in miami for the super bowl.....no.

if you're referring to them turning the dolphins around..... no.

Varitek said:
go pats!!

speaking of u2 music on CBS, they must have sold out (just joking...i think...) and cut a deal, I just saw a preview for a Cold Case ep airing in a week or two: "a memorable episode with music from one of the world's greatest bands" with Window in the Skies playing along in the background.

Having their music used in popular TV shows is one of the ways that U2 is promoting their music these days. They know radio sucks so they concentrate on making sure that MTV and VH1 still play their videos and look for other ways to get the attention of new people. That's also why they have done a lot of TV promoting the last two albums.

Dana

Re: Re: NFL on CBS (u2 related)

BigMacPhisto said:

Er....ummm. :eyebrow:

what?
:eyebrow:

out of all the songs in U2's catalog, hmtmkm was the last song that would come to mind when thinking of advertising. it wasnt a big hit, it was featured in a terrible batman movie 12 yrs ago. what am i missing? normal people dont even know or remember that its a U2 song. i would put this song in the same catergory as songs like lemon, mofo, and stay. will always be overlooked and fall to the waist side, some of they're best material but will more often then not snubbed for more fan friendly songs. even the band seems to act as if these songs never happened, almost like they're embarassed

i would expect elevation/beautiful day/city of blinding lights to be played

sad but true :(

Last edited:
I didn't hear it on TV, but my brother said they played Beautiful Day in the RCA Dome after the Colts game yesterday while they were putting up the stand for the trophy presentation. Guess it happened on commercial break for us but that's still cool they played it. And cool the Colts won!

U2Kitten said:
I didn't hear it on TV, but my brother said they played Beautiful Day in the RCA Dome after the Colts game yesterday while they were putting up the stand for the trophy presentation. Guess it happened on commercial break for us but that's still cool they played it. And cool the Colts won!

:love: totally appropriate!

see you at the superbowl bitches :drool: they should start the Bowl with Mofo, how killer would that be?

u2thewho said:
A local college basketball team here in Albany seems to play U2 every time they lose at home... I've heard Elevation and Pride so far.

Interesting choice.

AtomicBono said:

see you at the superbowl bitches :drool: they should start the Bowl with Mofo, how killer would that be?

Super Bowl!! :rockon:

AtomicBono said:

A fast-paced, uptempo song wouldn't fit the NFL very well :wink:

Re: Re: Re: NFL on CBS (u2 related)

Z00rop@83 said:

what?
:eyebrow:

out of all the songs in U2's catalog, hmtmkm was the last song that would come to mind when thinking of advertising. it wasnt a big hit, it was featured in a terrible batman movie 12 yrs ago. what am i missing? normal people dont even know or remember that its a U2 song. i would put this song in the same catergory as songs like lemon, mofo, and stay. will always be overlooked and fall to the waist side, some of they're best material but will more often then not snubbed for more fan friendly songs. even the band seems to act as if these songs never happened, almost like they're embarassed

i would expect elevation/beautiful day/city of blinding lights to be played

sad but true :(

I remember *both* the song and the movie being big hits...
The whole "its a bad movie" thing started years later...
and HMTMKMKM isn't exactly the "typical" sound that most people think of when they think of U2, so most never connected- the-dots, so to speak...:shrug:

(I don't know how many times I've read on here or other fan sites stories of how someone loved that song but didn't know it was an U2 song until they picked up the Best of, or joined a fan site, etc...)

CBS has been using bits of various U2 songs a lot lately, like Saints as well. Another interesting bit is at Patriot's home games, when they score a touchdown they blare Elevation every time.

Back
Top Bottom