NFL Nixes Bono, J-Lo AIDS Duet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
from this morning's New York Daily News

For the past two years, U2 front man Bono has been meeting on and off with National Football League officials, hoping to get them to allow a mention of the global AIDS crisis during the Super Bowl halftime show.
The activist Irish rocker - who performed with his band at the 2002 Super Bowl in an emotional tribute to the victims of 9/11 - last year joined Jennifer Lopez in Los Angeles to record "An American Prayer," his song concerning the African AIDS crisis.

I'm told that Bono proposed to the NFL that he and J.Lo perform his tune during the Feb. 1 extravaganza in Houston and thus raise awareness of the growing catastrophe.

A familiar figure in Washington as a lobbyist for federal funding to fight African AIDS, Bono floated other ideas during repeated meetings with NFL Communications Vice President Joe Browne at the league's New York headquarters, and persuaded MTV types - who are producing the 12-minute Super Bowl halftime show for the NFL - to endorse Bono's effort.

But last week, NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue's office summarily rejected Bono's proposal, saying the show - which is being sponsored by AOL to the tune of $8 million - is for entertainment, not for flogging worthy causes.

"We simply decided that we were going to have our halftime show, and we were going to deliver, as we do annually, an extremely entertaining halftime show," NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told me yesterday. "We don't believe it's appropriate to focus on a single issue." He added that this has been a long-held view.

McCarthy said Tagliabue was not involved in the decision, nor was Tagliabue aware of Bono's frequent visits to headquarters.

"As commissioner of the National Football League, he has bigger concerns than over who is performing a halftime show," McCarthy said.

I asked why NFL officials continued to meet with the rock star if the AIDS component wasn't in the cards.

"They were listening," he answered, "and they met with Bono out of their great respect for him."

McCarthy added that the NFL is still planning to participate this spring in Bono's planned trip to Africa to highlight the AIDS crisis, and that NFL players will be along for the ride.

Good call by the NFL. Sometimes Bono gets too persistent trying to rub his message under people's throats and tries to hold their conscience hostage by saying "if you say no, millions will die." Hey Bono, not every entertainment show in America needs to know about AIDS. There are other avenues for such dissemination. Maybe during basketball games, we can require players to say two sentences about AIDS before each free throw. But then again, in U2 concerts, Bono wastes precious seconds giving his holier-than-thou speeches. Hey Bono, it's about time you stop rubbing you AIDS battlecry down people's throats. We get the message already. But then I do commend him for his noble intentions. It also does help serve the band well, giving them the public perception of caring activists.

Cheers,

J

I don't think we are supposed to just percieve them as "caring activists" Bono really does care about AIDS he is pushing this matter for a reason, so what if he "rubs the battlecry down people's throats" its about time someone did and if we all got the message already this problem would be under control would it not? It's not really they expect the population in South Africa to decrease by 5% by 2020.

"...millions will die" he is only speaking the truth afterall.

good on Bono for trying.. but I am sure he knew too .. the powers that be would never allow it . Still he does eveything he can.. surely that is amazing faith in the human spirit.

He drew in attention to some NFL folks who might have been fully aware before.. perhaps they will do something down the line in support.

The NFL gave Bono the respect to listen to him,, we should give him the respect for having the guts to do it and his relentless efforts. 6500 lives a day lost in Africa.. and people still miss the message. How's that for a good enough reason for shoving it down peoples throughts.. 6500 deaths a day or more

P.S, if all these people hear Bono allready then what the heck are they waiting for , before they do something about it. Sure is alot of people standing around waiting for someone else to put the fire out..

Again thanks be for Bono .. if you don't like fine but don't trash the man for being as you said (Holier then thou) at least he is doing something and thank god for that.

If you don't like what Bono does in the concert then don't go.. simple as that.. thats who he is and who U2 are . and it's not about publicity

Last edited:
Well said Katey! :applaud:

Bono will never stop trying. :bow:

Even if fans get tired of hearing it, and as much as we want the new album to be out right now, you have to give it to the man, he is doing what he feels he has to do.

He made a promise and he is doing his best to keep it!

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i don't think the NFL said no because it had to do with AIDS... I think they said no because paul tagliabue is a closet u2 fan who doesn't want to be held responsible for a duet between the b-man and the ass-woman

:laugh: Thank goodness we were spared!! :scream:

I tire of the "good cause" thing being used to justify his dodgy collaborations. He's done them in the past and we don't know that anyone's life was saved. I really don't think it is going to change the world, and we as u2 fans can do without the disgrace. He can best serve his cause in DC, London, Paris and the UN and avoid making a fool of himself and U2 by matching up with the likes of J-lo, Britney, Beyonce, etc:no: Another thing I wonder is, why aren't more respectable stars helping Bono with these 'duets'? Could it be the idea is so tainted by the joke people involved that it's actually hurt the issue and the idea? That's something else to think about as well.

Last edited:
I would not thrill at the idea of a j-lo collaboration but if someone who would ignore Bono on his own maybe they would pay attention if he were with j-lo. I think it was a good idea to involve beyonce on the 46664 event. Her fans might take more notice of the issue and isn't that what it is all about?

jick said:
Good call by the NFL. Sometimes Bono gets too persistent trying to rub his message under people's throats and tries to hold their conscience hostage by saying "if you say no, millions will die." Hey Bono, not every entertainment show in America needs to know about AIDS. There are other avenues for such dissemination. Maybe during basketball games, we can require players to say two sentences about AIDS before each free throw. But then again, in U2 concerts, Bono wastes precious seconds giving his holier-than-thou speeches. Hey Bono, it's about time you stop rubbing you AIDS battlecry down people's throats. We get the message already. But then I do commend him for his noble intentions. It also does help serve the band well, giving them the public perception of caring activists.

Cheers,

J

great post!

i'd add something, but you said it perfectly.

Tabby said:
The kind of person who would ignore Bono and take J-lo or Beyonce seriously is not the kind of person with enough brains to actually get involved in such a deep issue anyway:shrug: :huh:

That's a pretty big generalization, and if I were a J-Lo or Beyonce fan (which, for the record, I am NOT) I would be extremely offended.

I think it would be nice if Bono could convince some of today's hot young stars to do stuff ON THEIR OWN to promote awareness of the AIDS crisis in Africa. That way the message could reach a younger audience without U2 fans having to endure Bono doing duets with them.

McCarthy added that the NFL is still planning to participate this spring in Bono's planned trip to Africa to highlight the AIDS crisis, and that NFL players will be along for the ride.

:up: It's a start!

(to the cynical fan) With so many infected and dying around the world, is there really such a thing as "trying too hard to pass the message"? People DO need to know, and I don't see why a big event with a big audience is not a great opportunity. And at U2 shows, after all these years I don't see why people are still shocked Bono has speeches.
"public perception of caring activists" - unlike some bands, U2 did not just hop upon the bandwagon of "cause of the hour". They've been involved in causes for years, and they support Bono's AIDS efforts. If the media don't do their research and tell that to the people it's not the band's fault.
*edit* Another good way of raising attention is also dueting with popular singers, and Beyonce was an example of that. (IMO their voices work together well, too)

Last edited:
to the cynical fan) With so many infected and dying around the world, is there really such a thing as "trying too hard to pass the message"? .

my thoughts exatcly .. there are many hard working humaitarians out there who use what they have to make a differnce just as Bono does.. for everyone who critizices maybe you don't full understand the emergency of the situation .. maybe you do... Think of how luckey you are to have the opportunity to watch the football game for example .. then think of the millions who are so much less fortunate and what they will be doing.

Can't we get past who Bono does a duet with and who he doesnt and just thank him for giving a @$%##! It's not about the song or the artist .. it's about the message.

I tire of the "good cause" thing being used to justify his dodgy collaborations. He's done them in the past and we don't know that anyone's life was saved. I really don't think it is going to change the world, and we as u2 fans can do without the disgrace. He can best serve his cause in DC, London, Paris and the UN and avoid making a fool of himself and U2 by matching up with the likes of J-lo, Britney, Beyonce, etc Another thing I wonder is, why aren't more respectable stars helping Bono with these 'duets'? Could it be the idea is so tainted by the joke people involved that it's actually hurt the issue and the idea? That's something else to think about as well

Gee I am real sorry you feel disgraced by humanitarian efforts.. and I am sorry you are tied up on how this effects you as a U2 fan. Bono knows this issue is bigger then him.. it is bigger then all of us as fans .. DATA has made a differnce a big differnce .. so has Bono . If you can't be thankful for that I know millions of Africans who will be .

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:
I think it would be nice if Bono could convince some of today's hot young stars to do stuff ON THEIR OWN to promote awareness of the AIDS crisis in Africa. That way the message could reach a younger audience without U2 fans having to endure Bono doing duets with them.

:applaud:

Originally posted by Tabby
The kind of person who would ignore Bono and take J-lo or Beyonce seriously is not the kind of person with enough brains to actually get involved in such a deep issue anyway

As much as I don't care for J-lo or Beyonce, my gut instinct is to disagree with this statement. I wouldn't judge people based on your own musical standards. Considering the current popularity of J-Lo and Beyonce, there must be SOME people in that crowd that would take the message to heart.

*Edit: Though the Superbowl halftime show would be an amazing opportunity for Bono, I can easily accept the arguement that this show is traditionally for entertainment purposes only and not mean to be used as a stage to start preaching political and humanitarian beliefs. I would rather support concerts arranged strictly for this purpose, like the one in South Africa. I'm not sure Joe American would feel to warmly about an Irish man using the halftime show to pitch his cause for Africa (not that I oppose it, I just think there are better ways to get the message out).

Last edited:
As much as I think it's a very worthy cause, these rumours - and actual performances - of Bono doing duets with really crappy popstars make me sick. If he's going to do a duet with someone, at least make it someone WORTHWHILE, rather than someone like Lopez who should have been discarded with yesterday's garbage.

from this morning's New York Daily News

If this is true, then this is much better than letting the NFL fall for Bono's publicity attention-begging tricks, and the NFL did the right thing.

By the way, I have nothing against AIDS activism or the principle of debt condonation. What I'm against is rubbing it under people's throats to give you a performance spot in the name of AIDS benefit when in fact you just want to toot your own horn, and since the NFL won't give the slot you immediately give them a "guilt-trip". Ironically, this is the issue Bono had against the preachers, while they claimed to do things in the name of Jesus - they were just being opportunistic and guilt-tripping and rubbing things down people's throats in the wrong avenues when in fact they just wanted to toot their own horns. It is very ironic that Bono has indeed turned into the "preacher" he himself mocked and despised before. Wasn't it Bono who just said that benefit concerts and publicity stunts were just for the showboats and that it didn't have long term effects - that's why he did the "unglamourous dirty work" of wearing a suit and approaching politicians? I guess Bono can't contain his ego's itch anymore and his desire to be popular and hip with the young crowd (hence J-lo). Bono is making a mockery of his previous pronouncements. How sad for him.

But I don't honestly care about his image, it's the music I care about. As long as U2's next album rocks, that's all that matters to me. If Bono makes a fool of himself I don't care. But sometimes, Bono's making a fool of himself can mean that he is getting senile and that should have some effect on his songwriting shouldn't it? And if it does, the quality of U2's music will be compromised. Oh well, I won't jump the gun, I'll just wait for U2's next album.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
If you don't care about Bono's image, how about's you forget about it and never mention it again. For something you don't care about, you sure comment on it a lot....

Katey said:
my thoughts exatcly .. there are many hard working humaitarians out there who use what they have to make a differnce just as Bono does.. for everyone who critizices maybe you don't full understand the emergency of the situation .. maybe you do... Think of how luckey you are to have the opportunity to watch the football game for example .. then think of the millions who are so much less fortunate and what they will be doing.

Good point.

Originally posted by Katey
Can't we get past who Bono does a duet with and who he doesnt and just thank him for giving a @$%##! It's not about the song or the artist .. it's about the message.

Exactly, but I guess not. :|. First off, I think they got the names wrong, 'cause Beyonce was the one who did the song with him, not J-Lo, as we all know, so calm down with the J-Lo thing. And as far as that song goes, like I said, I personally thought they sounded nice together on it.

Second, I'm sorry, but when it comes to an important cause, I do not care who gets together, I'm just happy that some people decided to come out and support a cause, it's nice to find people who care about these kinds of things out there.

Music is not meant to be some sort of clique thing, where only certain artists should get together and others have no right to be hanging out with them, and why some people tend to think it is, or should be, is beyond me.

Artists in the 60s from various musical styles did things together all the time, and most weren't even for charity things. Pop groups opened for rock groups on tours quite often, and vice versa (like Jimi Hendrix opening for the Monkees, for example). People managed to deal with it then, why can't the same be said now?

Not trying to be rude. I just really hate the cliquiness that comes with music. If you personally don't want to hear these duets, then don't. Nobody's making you.

Originally posted by Katey
Gee I am real sorry you feel disgraced by humanitarian efforts.. and I am sorry you are tied up on how this effects you as a U2 fan. Bono knows this issue is bigger then him.. it is bigger then all of us as fans .. DATA has made a differnce a big differnce .. so has Bono . If you can't be thankful for that I know millions of Africans who will be .

:up:.

Angela

Axver said:
As much as I think it's a very worthy cause, these rumours - and actual performances - of Bono doing duets with really crappy popstars make me sick. If he's going to do a duet with someone, at least make it someone WORTHWHILE, rather than someone like Lopez who should have been discarded with yesterday's garbage.

I think we should all be focusing on the fact Bono is doing it for AIDS victims if he wants to do a duet with J-Lo big deal :|

Aralitia said:
I think we should all be focusing on the fact Bono is doing it for AIDS victims if he wants to do a duet with J-Lo big deal :|

I just think there's a lot better artists he could do a duet with. Doing it with J-Lo's almost cheapening the cause.

Alright, so I just hate J-Lo and would be embarrassed if Bono performed with her, but still ...

Oh my :scream: :drunk: :banghead: I swear. I'm not even going to bother to go back and repaste all the things I want to respond to, but please let me say this is ridiculous! It's self righteous speeches like Katey's that make people so sick it detracts from the cause. Look, have some of you even really read the posts here, or just got the general idea someone was against the duet and jumped on them?

Jick, Tabby, Axver, everyone who is against the duet (which thankfully will not come to pass) stated that they were NOT against 'humanitarian efforts:cute: :angel:" just that these silly collaborations are not only making Bono a joke, they are not saving the world! Some of you act as if the fate of the earth depends on whether Bono teams with these shrieking floozies or not! The way I see it, the cause can actually be hurt by these matchups because they make it a joke, and that's not attention in a good way. I strongly disagree with those who seem to hold to the belief that any attention for the cause is good and is somehow going to save somebody's life. That is really a stretch.:eyebrow:

I agree with those who have tried to point this out, and the ones who have suggested these 'last week's trash' artists venture into something on their own, or that Bono find more reputable, respectworthy partners. I also saw someone mentioned that the dodgy collaborations may even be scaring away more desirable artists from helping! I know, all of this was for naught. No one is going to read it, but they will reply to it and go 'as long as it's for humanitarianism who cares' :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :censored:

NO ONE is against the cause, or Bono helping!!!! But we do doubt the value of these sickening, joke causing, ridiculous matchups, and think the cause could be served in better ways in better places!

Last edited:
Axver said:

I agree with you 100 % It's time for J. Lo to go away. It's amazing how such a marginally talented performer made it so far. I admire Bono for trying to spread his cause & I understand that he may feel he can get the message to a broader group of people by recording with such a " celebrity ", but it pains me nonetheless.:|

Back
Top Bottom