NFL Nixes Bono, J-Lo AIDS Duet - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2004, 07:45 PM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 05:38 PM
Quote:
And also like many have mentioned regarding corrupt leaders, I would hope that the US is not stupid enough to make the same mistake twice. I'm assuming they are holding off on massive funding until trustworthy, stable governments are in place. But there again, a stable government requires a stable economy, so addressing poverty is key *coughcanceldebtsunilaterallycough
The Global Fund unless I am wrong on this and if so let me know.. has in place measures for this.. which is where the money from the U.S goes into .. not just thrown across aimlessly ..

You can make the arguments of infrastructure along with absortive capacity " that is the notion Africa nations don't have the capacity to absorb all the money . But it has been proven that Africa can absorb much more then the 3 billion pledged The drugs will get to those who need them .. the good news is that the programming mechanism already exists.
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria is proving a trustworthy mechanism for programming these resources to complement bilateral programs. Global Fund grants are
programming resources while further pushing the capacity envelope by dedicating 40% of resources towards increasing human and physical infrastructure in recipient countries.

Are there problems.. yep.. but at 6500 lives a day you can't wait till its perfect.. You can look to examples such as Uganda to see how it is working

I am with you on cancel the debt.. while we are at make trade fair too..

Old 01-11-2004, 05:05 AM   #77
Refugee

Local Time: 05:38 AM
This thread has gone too much off topic. This is not about whether or not Africa can be realistically saved, or the merits of this campaign.

The bottom line is that the NFL flatly turned down Bono's self-serving duet request and the NFL was right about it and Bono was wrong.

Cheers,

J

Old 01-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by jick
This thread has gone too much off topic. This is not about whether or not Africa can be realistically saved, or the merits of this campaign.

The bottom line is that the NFL flatly turned down Bono's self-serving duet request and the NFL was right about it and Bono was wrong.

Cheers,

J
thank you Captain Obvious
Old 01-11-2004, 08:23 PM   #79
Refugee

Local Time: 10:38 PM
If this is true

I dont fault either side really, Bono for trying or the NFL for saying no.

Bono wanted a way to expose the issue to a new audience, and the superbowl would do that. BUT if the nfl lets the halftime show have a political spin ( as in an issue not really just patriotism or the WTC memorial durign the u2 halftime show) it may snowball in the future artsists doing presidential endorsements at halftime, or talking about gun control etc etc.

Is it so wrong to reserve the 15 minutes between the halves of the superbowl for pure entertainment? And is it so wrong to ask to talk about the biggest issue facing the world at a time when millions of americans would be watching?

also take into account.... bono may have faced a backlash in the event he got to do this a backlash that may turn people off to teh issue itself. It may be a good thing in disguise.
Old 01-12-2004, 03:39 AM   #80
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:38 PM
i dont want to see bono(trying to sing) i want my playboy girls on superbowl!