NFL Nixes Bono, J-Lo AIDS Duet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tabby said:
The kind of person who would ignore Bono and take J-lo or Beyonce seriously is not the kind of person with enough brains to actually get involved in such a deep issue anyway:shrug: :huh:

Some other people have said it better than me.

I know it is hard to believe but there are a lot of people in this world who don't care about U2 (dislike them even) think Bono is full of it etc who don't pay attention. I'm no jennifer lopez fan for sure. All I'm saying is anyone who gets involved can bring more attention to more people is a good thing.

david said:
Anyword on when the song Bono wrote for J-Lo called "Spanish Thighs" will surface?

i can not let such a brilliant post go buy without giving a big :up: to ya david...

Wey hey hey, J-Lo hang on
Empty heart, ass big as Mt. Everest
Empty love, stringing Affleck along

Our love wears like hot pants
On those spanish thighs
Spanish thiiiighsssss

Oh my I swear. I'm not even going to bother to go back and repaste all the things I want to respond to, but please let me say this is ridiculous! It's self righteous speeches like Katey's that make people so sick it detracts from the cause. Look, have some of you even really read the posts here, or just got the general idea someone was against the duet and jumped on them?

First off I work on this cause daily and so I am humbeled by the people who actually can see beyond themselves to attempt to make a differnce.. becaue I actually witness the differnce they do make. And yes actually in effect even the little things make a differnce .. sometimes in different ways but they do .. Bono is smart enough to know the differnce.. when and where to use his currency on this .. maybe his U2 fans don't like it but maybe it is reaching a different audience . And maybe the folks he works with really do care about the cause as well .

So if the argument is do these things make a differnce.. I can tell you yes they do .. someways are always more effective but they do make a differnce.

I do though get tired of people critizing those who are trying to make a differnce.. An as far as how that happens you never know until you try.. Maybe the Superbowl wasn't the best place to do it that's fine ..

My point is I think Bono is very much less concerned about what his image is and more concerned with turning the tide on this emergency and I applaud him for that . He has the ability to look beyond himself on ths issue not that js not without fault as well we all are. I don't mean to sound like I am preaching becasue I of all people am the last person who has the right to.

And I think it is a good point if you don't like the duets , if you don't like the speeches then don't listen .. I think Bono is a fairly smart man and has intellegent people behind him too and is fully able to make the decisions on his image without the rest of us doing it for him

I'm not saying BONO hasn't made a difference. Yes he has! Yes DATA has! I also think it's unfair how you automatically assume everyone who disapproves of the cheesy duets has no feeling for the cause or is somehow against it. It's because I am FOR his cause that I hate to see it cheapened my moves like that which turn it into a comical farce. For example, the tactics of some anti-abortion groups and PETA have hurt their causes very much by the way they acted, because now, unfortunately, both causes are associated with extreme behavior instead of the message they are trying to get across. Their enemies have used it against them successfully. I don't want to see that happnen to the African AIDS cause:(

Last edited:
J-Lo dueting with him doesnt cheapen the cause at all, not that its happening.

Younger people will listen to J-Lo more than they will to Bono, and Bono will appeal to the older crowd, for the most part. Trying to get the whole demographic, I think.

I dont care if he Duets with Justin Timberlake in his free time as long as U2's, yes U2's, album rocks. Bono can do what he pleases, and he's trying to do it for a just cause, so Im not bothered by it.

Originally posted by Axver
I just think there's a lot better artists he could do a duet with. Doing it with J-Lo's almost cheapening the cause.

Exactly!!

Originally posted by Jick
Ironically, this is the issue Bono had against the preachers, while they claimed to do things in the name of Jesus - they were just being opportunistic and guilt-tripping and rubbing things down people's throats in the wrong avenues when in fact they just wanted to toot their own horns. It is very ironic that Bono has indeed turned into the "preacher" he himself mocked and despised before

Interesting comparison! You're right! But then again, Bono is a study in personal contradiction. First he did the sanctimonious thing, then tried to destroy it being a bad boy. Next he claimed rock was dead and techno was the way, but a few years later he was proclaiming U2 were going to save rock and roll! At the time he did that, he soundly trashed all cheesy pop acts like boy bands and moaning girls as "crap music" that needed to be driven out and was destroying the industry, now he's taking up with them and treating them as equals! It is such a pity, after U2 had finally established themselves as bona fide rock legends. I shudder to think what he might do next :huh:

Last edited:
I'm not saying BONO hasn't made a difference. Yes he has! Yes DATA has! I also think it's unfair how you automatically assume everyone who disapproves of the cheesy duets has no feeling for the cause or is somehow against it. It's because I am FOR his cause that I hate to see it cheapened my moves like that which turn it into a comical farce. For example, the tactics of some anti-abortion groups and PETA have hurt their causes very much by the way they acted, because now, unfortunately, both causes are associated with extreme behavior instead of the message they are trying to get across. Their enemies have used it against them successfully. I don't want to see that happnen to the African AIDS cause

Good points .. But I don't automatically assume that everyone that dissaproved of duets has no feeling for the cause.. maybe it came across that way but thats not what I meant.. I was just trying to make my point about whay Bono was doing.it

I agree with you that no one wants to see this cause cheapened.. I just don't neccesarilly agree or think that is what Bono is doing.. maybe just trying to reach a different group .. If he tried and he fails then I give him points for trying .. And I agree with you I don't want to see what has happened with other groups happen to this cause.. thanks for briging up that point

and for the record I don't think Bono has ever claimed to be anyone other then who he is with his faults.. I don't think he has turned into a preacher at all, he would be the first one to admit there is probably someone out there better suited to do it.. But no one has stepped up to the plate.

Last edited:
I read in my local paper this morning that Beyonce is singing the National Anthem at the Super Bowl. I wonder if the writer of the article referenced in the first post on this thread didn't quite have the facts straight, and Bono was really planning to sing American Prayer with Beyonce and not J-Lo. That seems more likely since Beyonce already sang the song with Bono at the Nelson Mandela concert. That would have been a lot less embarrasing than his singing with J-Lo. I don't care much for Beyonce's music and think she's extremely overrated, but at least she can sing.

I still think these pop stars, including Beyonce, need to do some things on their own to spread awareness of the AIDS crisis. I'd be a lot more convinced of their sincerity if they did that. I'm not talking about talking to politicians like Bono does, but maybe finding a way to address the issue to their fans.

Last edited:
It is about helping a very worthy cause and saving lives - I think we all agree on that, and I don't really care who Bono works with to get it done, or how he gets his message across to people.

I'm frankly sick of longwinded Bono-should-not-be-doing-this-and-everything-U2-did-after-POP-is-crap posts lately and tired of self-righteous fans who think they know best what Bono should or shouldn't do to not "damage" U2's reputation. It's his "mission", it's very well his business how he goes about it. You don't have to like it, but you also don't need to have a heart attack and cry out about it at every opportunity.

Jick, you say you only care about U2's music. Then how come you invest so much time and posting into bashing and picking on Bono's activist work-on a U2 fan board, of all places? A U2 fan like you of all people should understand him.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
It is about helping a very worthy cause and saving lives - I think we all agree on that, and I don't really care who Bono works with to get it done, or how he gets his message across to people.

I'm frankly sick of longwinded Bono-should-not-be-doing-this-and-everything-U2-did-after-POP-is-crap posts lately and tired of self-righteous fans who think they know best what Bono should or shouldn't do to not "damage" U2's reputation. It's his "mission", it's very well his business how he goes about it. You don't have to like it, but you also don't need to have a heart attack and cry out about it at every opportunity.

Jick, you say you only care about U2's music. Then how come you invest so much time and posting into bashing and picking on Bono's activist work-on a U2 fan board, of all places? A U2 fan like you of all people should understand him.

Nicely said.

Once again, people, they obviously must've gotten the names wrong, because J-Lo hasn't done "American Prayer". So why are people all freaking out over J-Lo working with him on that song, when it's not true?

Also, the comments about J-Lo...I'm not a huge fan of her, either-I don't abhor her, but I'm not a diehard fan, either. But she's obviously doing something right if she has the fan base she does. She's got to have some talent somewhere, be it in the way she sings, or how she dances, or whatever.

And one more question: why does it embarass some of you so much who Bono sings with? He doesn't care, why should you?

Angela

Just for the record the official superbowl web site has only listed the following people to perform, so far:
(Jan. 6, 2004) -- Nominated for six Grammy awards, multi-dimensional star Beyonc? Knowles will sing the National Anthem prior to Super Bowl XXXVIII at Reliant Stadium in Houston, Sunday, Feb. 1.
also:
"With Janet set as a featured performer and more performers and surprise collaborations to follow, the stage has been to set to produce an event that the Super Bowl audience will remember for years to come," said Van Toffler, President, MTV/MTV.

So untill further announcements become available Beyonce and Janet are what you can expect.

U2girl said:

First off, I am not against a duet with J-Lo. I am all for it, but I think that collaboration is better done on CD than live. But I think J-Lo is old news, Bono should duet with Avril Lavigne or Britney Spears if he wants to be hip.

Second, I am not saying what Bono should or should not do. I am just saying the effect of the actions he does. Bono before has dissed preachers for forcing their message in the wrongs avenues just to toot their own horns. Bono has dissed benefit concert performers because the concert doesn't earn that much money (only enough to pay a week's worth of debt) and the performers are in it for the publicity mileage as they quickly move on to the next cause. Back to the preachers thing, Bono sang "they put Jesus in show business, now its hard to get in the door." Back to the benefit performance thing, Bono gave a statement in the past I truly admire - that let those other bands get their free publicity with ineffective benefit concerts - while he will do the unglamorous and dirty work of wearing a suit and meeting politicians.

So why has Bono turned into the preacher now, trying to give the NFL "moral blackmail" --sort of "if you don't support my cause then you will get bad press for being cold-hearted"?

Why is Bono suddenly wanting to go back to the glamorous "benefit concert" kind of thing instead of keeping up his commendable down-and-dirty work talking to politicians?

People watching the NFL halftime show wouldn't really care about worthy causes - they just want the second half to come up. Besides, its not like the half-time show is long enough to hold a telethon.

The reason is plain and simple - Bono just wants to perform in front of the millions of NFL viewers again, to get the extra publicity mileage since U2's album is almost coming out. Bono knows deep down that the effectiveness of his proposal is really nil (if indeed his intention deep down is to support AIDS awareness).

By the way, unlike others who have contributed to this thread, I have NOTHING against J-Lo or Bono doing a collaboration with her. I don't think it will cheapen his or U2's image at all. I am all for it - I'm just not for an NFL halftime show or Bono's shrewd tactics in trying to force the NFL execs to let him perform in the halftime show.

Cheers,

J

I agree with Bono's work. Somebody has to do it, and he is right - this is the defining moral issue of our time.

However, I think that when you are pushing an issue like this, which is complicated, you need to do it right. And I don't believe that the halftime of the Superbowl is necessarily the best way. Also, Bono should remember a valuable fact of physiology: when something is shoved down your throat, the inate response is to throw it back up.

Africa is a matter that needs help. Many of us are willing. But you cannot force people to get involved and you can't guilt them into it either. At the end of the day, lots of us have to pay our mortgages, pass our exams, feed our kids, walk our dogs. Those are human realities in the west. The Superbowl is another.

Bono is fighting the good fight here, but there are more constructive ways to do it than this. Most people who watch the Superbowl want to have a nice afternoon with friends, eat crap and drink beer, not a guy proselytizing on TV. Give them their afternoon, then educate them on the following day.

More points to add:

If Bono did indeed want the AIDS issue to get publicity mileage in front of millions of viewers (instead of tooting his own horn), Bono would have batted for more popular and hip youngsters like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Avril Lavigne, Mandy Moore, etc. to appear on the half-time show and promote AIDS awareness, instead of wanting HIMSELF to perform. Besides he has done it before - assemble the young hip generation for the What Going On tribute. He should have let the young bubble gum popstars do the glamorous work (where they are a better fit) while he continues doing his extremely commendable job of meeting politicians and harassing them.

And if Bono was indeed a practical man, he would not rub it in that he wants to perform - instead, he would ask the NFL who is slated to perform as ask those performers to make a small mention about AIDS awareness or include it somewhere in their performance. Why does he want to be the one to perform HIMSELF?

Bono is getting old, impractical, and senile - at least that is the impression he gives. I just hope it doesn't reflect in his songwriting in his next album, or else the new album will tank and it will probably be U2's last album ever. I wonder how Larry feels about Bono's ego-trippy desire to do a duet with J-Lo in Superbowl.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Why is Bono suddenly wanting to go back to the glamorous "benefit concert" kind of thing instead of keeping up his commendable down-and-dirty work talking to politicians?

I sincerely doubt Bono wants to do benefit concerts. He hasn't put forth any effort in organizing one. He's said over and over his primary calling is U2 an he'd much rather be working on their music than messing with this AIDS stuff, but he's been so involved since the 80s it's become a personal issue with him. Just because he did the concert in South Africa doesn't mean he's into "glamorous" benefit concerts. I think his purpose is more about raising awareness than generating donations. I think he's doing a good job with that, especially after being on almost every channel doing something or other for World AIDS Day. A lot of friends and relatives who aren't the slightest bit interested in U2 commented to me that "they saw that Bono guy on TV and he had some really interesting stuff to say".

I don't know how you can say Bono isn't "keeping up" with his work with politicians. He's sure been at Bush and I'm impressed that Bono was not entirely satisfied with Bush's statements regarding Africa in his State of the Union. That was a monumental step forward, yet Bono has met with him again and continues to pressure him. If he visits capitol hill any more frequently, he might as well buy a second home in DC.

jick said:
I wonder how Larry feels about Bono's ego-trippy desire to do a duet with J-Lo in Superbowl.

wow, who didn't see THAT coming :rolleyes:

Who gives a flying fuck what Larry thinks? It's not like Bono's trying to convince him to perform with J-Lo. Bono can do whatever the hell he wants, and so can Larry. When they're in the studio or on tour, they'll have to compromise, but their work outside of U2 is entirely up to themselves. For all we know, Larry couldn't care less.

I wouldn't go off on one of your "Bono is SO egotistical, all he cares about is himself, his humanitarian work is not genuine it's just an alter-ego no better than MacPhisto" trips just yet. This article lacks credibility, at least to me. It's the only one annoucing such info, and it makes no sense for Bono to want to perform with J-Lo if he's already recorded and performed American Prayer with Beyonce.....

I don't think people watching the NFL would give a damn about what Bono was saying. I think Bono needs a reality and go back to being a musician. His preaching about AIDS has gotten old. It's a lost issue, a battle that cannot be won.

Strato Edge said:
It's a lost issue, a battle that cannot be won.

I hate to get all mushy, but comments like these make me wonder, would people think differently if they'd ever held someone dying of AIDS? Could you really say "you are a lost issue, this battle cannot be won" to the face of someone dying of AIDS, or to the mother whose baby was dying of AIDS?

It's not a rhetorical question, I'd like to know...

The truth is that Africa is a very under developed country. How do you really expect everyone in Africa who needs medicine to get it? Are there going to be people walking around Africa sticking pills down their throats and neetles in their arms? It's still going to spread like a damn wild fire. That why it is a dead issue. African have no knowledge of proper medicine. They don't know when to take it, or how often or whatever. I just don't see a bright future for this at all. And even if the U.S. gives money to Africa who do you think is going to take it? It's probably going to be a corrupt leader of some kind adding another gold toliet to his mansion. So yeah it is a dead issue and a waste of money.

Strato Edge said:
The truth is that Africa is a very under developed country. How do you really expect everyone in Africa who needs medicine to get it? Are there going to be people walking around Africa sticking pills down their throats and neetles in their arms? It's still going to spread like a damn wild fire. That why it is a dead issue. African have no knowledge of proper medicine. They don't know when to take it, or how often or whatever. I just don't see a bright future for this at all. And even if the U.S. gives money to Africa who do you think is going to take it? It's probably going to be a corrupt leader of some kind adding another gold toliet to his mansion. So yeah it is a dead issue and a waste of money.

1) this doesn't answer my question.....

2) so when the pandemic finishes knocking out Africa and Asia and spreads to Europe and North America, we should just let it keep going eh? b/c it's a dead issue..... I'm guessing you don't have any dead friends that lost their lives to AIDS.

3) you should read about Uganda, now talk about a POOR third world country, but they have been able to successfully slow their rates of infection while increasing literacy at the same time. Uganda has proven that no one has the right to say it CAN'T be helped, because they DID.

4) the only valid point in your arguement is WHO takes the money. that's a good question, that many world leaders are in the process of answering. no money is being wasted b/c none is being sent until the government is satisfied and ensured that the government and organizations in Africa are prepared to absorb large-scale funding effectively.

5) your comments are a perfect example of how important it is for people to get educated

Strato Edge said:
African have no knowledge of proper medicine. They don't know when to take it, or how often or whatever.

this is so 1980s...I'd like to see hard evidence of this before I can even consider it a possible set-back. Until then, it seems like an idea us Americans have invented to make it easier for us to disassociate from this problem.

*edit: but....we put out wildfires, don't we? sorry, it's just that I've read that response to a few people and all I'm getting is laughs....

Last edited:
I dunno, Strato Edge, Africans certainly seem willing to want change to me. At that South African concert in November, there were so many people there, and they were cheering when Mandela spoke about doing everything to stop this epidemic, and when one of the girls asked how many of the women there would feel comfortable enough asking their men to use condoms, a lot of them cheered at that as well. And like LivLuv said, Uganda's been taking steps to stop this problem. I recall seeing a bit on CNN on a place in that country where people can go to get tested. And in the "Diary" episode, Bono, Chris Tucker, and the two college students visited a lady who was sick with AIDS, and she wanted the medicines. These people aren't stupid.

Angela

Jick: for all we know, the alleged J-Lo duet may not even see the light of day. I'm guessing the journalist made a mistake since African Prayer is a duet with Beyonce.
How was what he did blackmail? All he did was ask if he could perform 1 song, written specifically on AIDS subject, not like he was going to give a speech.
Why couldn't he do both awareness raising performances and the dirty work with politicians and take the best of both worlds? I don't think he'll ever try to set up a telethon or a benefit concert.
If the NFL watchers don't care what he has to say, that is not really his problem is it?
Like you said, he already involved younger stars in What's going on tribute. Being a singer, why not write songs about issues and perform?

Lastly, I really think you could, knowing the band's and Bono's humanitarian efforts, stop making insulting and untrue comments on him and his motives. (for the record, the band DO support his AIDS campaign)

Jick: for all we know, the alleged J-Lo duet may not even see the light of day. I'm guessing the journalist made a mistake since African Prayer is a duet with Beyonce.

>The key word is "for all we know." My reaction is to the article so I give it the presumption of truth for purposes of this thread until proven otherwise.

How was what he did blackmail? All he did was ask if he could perform 1 song, written specifically on AIDS subject, not like he was going to give a speech.

>If he won't be allowed to perform the song (just like what actually happened), there was some press and it was slanted to make the NFL sound like an organization that couldn't care less about AIDS - this will be bad for the NFL's image, all because of Bono's "request." Now, in order to save face after the Bono blackmail, the NFL seems to have promised to send some players to Africa. It's blackmail because you're damned if you don't, and the NFL were damned.

Why couldn't he do both awareness raising performances and the dirty work with politicians and take the best of both worlds? I don't think he'll ever try to set up a telethon or a benefit concert.
If the NFL watchers don't care what he has to say, that is not really his problem is it?

>You and I and Bono know the NFL watchers won't care. Bono knows the minimal or neglibile effect on AIDS support performing one AIDS-related song in NFL halftime will do. We all know the truth. So why did Bono even attempt to ask to perform when he had other better options such as: (1) raise AIDS awareness in better avenues, or (2) let someone else more hip with the current generation (Avril, Britney, Justin) perform that AIDS song so it will have more reach? Obviously, Bono wanted it for his own selfish reasons of tooting his own horn, or he requested it because he has already grown senile and has a strained understanding of reality and the non-factor on AIDS such a performance would have.

Like you said, he already involved younger stars in What's going on tribute. Being a singer, why not write songs about issues and perform?

>What will he get out of performing other than tooting his own horn and say he did NFL in 2 of the last 3 years? Performing will not raise money for AIDS like a single will do, and performing will not even raise awarness the way a single would do. With a single, you can have a video that will be replayed over and over in MTV, and the video can be choreographed in such a way as to raise AIDS awareness. The proceeds of the single can go to charity. All performing will do is add another feather to Bono's ego, and will have nothing to do with AIDS whatsover.

Lastly, I really think you could, knowing the band's and Bono's humanitarian efforts, stop making insulting and untrue comments on him and his motives. (for the record, the band DO support his AIDS campaign) .

>Not only the band, but so do I support Bono's humanitarian efforts. But not all his actions are the appropriate ones - and this latest attempt to want to play Superbowl is obviously one of the wrong moves Bono has made. But we all make mistakes. After all, U2 did write POP.

Cheers,

J

You might want to check with TAC( treatment action campaign) and the frontline workers in Africa.. and tell them it is not making a differnce .. I assure you it is not a hopleess cause.. and I am sorry for you that you think it is. perhaps you should learn what has actually been done and what is working in Africa before you comment

Africa has no knowledge of proper medicine is perhaps one of the most ignorant statements I have heard on here yet . Plus do you not think there are new measures in place for Accountability , transpraceny.. etc.. there is.. it's not perfect yet but it is changing and so do you want to hold millions of lives accountabile until they get it absolutely perfect.. I know this is U2 fan forum and the music is important to you folks as it is me but I can't stand injustice and this drives me crazy .

Africa is a matter that needs help. Many of us are willing. But you cannot force people to get involved and you can't guilt them into it either. At the end of the day, lots of us have to pay our mortgages, pass our exams, feed our kids, walk our dogs. Those are human realities in the west. The Superbowl is another.

Anitram thank you for your post.. it is great and I guess I should take yourviews.. but it is a bit of the irish canadian stubborn nature in me. At the end of the day there is a line drawn in the sand of the people who get it and those who don't .. You can't guilt people into cause all they will do in the end is through chairty at best.. Ya we all have realities in the west.. I suppose I get my back up on this because I feel a responsibiltity to the people in the third world who don't have the luxury of dealing with our realities here in the West.. I know we have our own issues In North America.. but even at the worst.. theres is much better a chance.

An to end .. I my whole point about Bono is that he is able to get past the music., the band and himself to see this emergency for what it is.. He has my admiration and for his fans you either support him or you don't but as a fan you shouldnt bash or insult his work.. that is completly disrespectful..

I know this post started off being about the duet .. but it certainly opened my eyes to peoples views on Bono's efforts and on peoples views onthis emergency ..I am glad it did .. Fans have the right to thier veiws as fans.. But I guess I had hoped ... that this emergency would be bigger then those opinions . and it's reflection on U2 .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom