Next Tour, How the song "Gone" should be performed live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the song "Gone" be performed this way?

• Excellent idea diamond, I'm sure Willie Williams and Paul Mcguinness will be doing cart wheels with

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Good idea, this song could work employing parts of what you suggested here.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • diamond, have you considered being a choreographer for and talent director for Hannah Montana?

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • No, this would be a nightmare for U2 Security

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I like it, parts of it could and should be developed

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • diamondbruno, you have quite an imagination.

Votes: 34 51.5%

• Total voters
diamond said:
I do not even think you read my post about U2 adapting their stuff live and how I agreed with you that I liked it! You certainly would not find me sitting down in protest or doing any other kind of prima donna thing, I would not threaten management w/becoming a stoned off my ass yuppie dave matthews fan.

I did read that and we are really on the same page, but where I think you lose me or misunderstand me is when I put *very silly* choices in my poll responses.

I'm also really with you on set lists and against set list whiners.:up:

Being that I've been posting here for 6+ years a lot of parts of my posts are serious, parts are my wistful thinking and musing, parts are an attempt to make ppl laugh for example the Hanna Montana, write Principle Management and DMB quips, among other things. Kinda like chatting at a Starbucks with a bunch of U2 fans, do you get it a little better now?

Those are all in good fun, or meant to be.

Do I have any really illusions that U2 are going to use my hydraulics suggestion for Gone next tour? None at all. It's my private musing on a public message board.
;)

When I ridicule people here, it's really me attempting to make things light, like chiding in really life, and I forget that some people are not in tune with my sense of humor, very sensitive and so for that -I apologize.

The gist and joke really of this whole thread was if Bono and U2 would take a random fan's suggestion and for me to *pretend* I was "king-sh*t", and everybody was beneath me-that was my attempt at a joke, I hope you get where I was trying to go with this.

I think you well now.

And Diemen my long time nemiesis and part time ego checker, must you always exploit my feeble attempts at lopsided humor?
For shame, you know better.

:)

dbs

Well you certainly have a unique sense of humor, I'd say that rather than call myself sensitive. You made a joke thread, ok, I would not do that, but it is fair for you to do that and for us to respond to it however we want. It seems like your need to be kingsh**t or whatever to people you dont know as well as your putting down of others who do not share your idea speaks for who is sensitive.:wink: But if you want to interpret it like you did, go ahead and be my guest. Just a little tip-take it from the source- i have been here a lot less time than you, but maybe you should try and find some better ways to joke or do things in jest. Principle management, DMB stuff, etc all sounds like you are actually serious. Maybe I can humbly suggest hanging around Dunkin Donuts and not Starbucks? People who spend $10 for coffee are not much for jokes in my opinion, the joke is usually on them!! Either way, no need for a personal war here, if you want me to take you at your word, I will and lets be friends. I'm glad we agree on the setlist/experimentation stuff!

popacrobat said:
EYKIW: Serious bidness.

i still say i like the idea of the thread. it's at the very least outside the box and if people posted their other off the wall ideas we'd at least have some humorous mental images and a thread about something else besides U2 3D and who hates HTDAAB and who hates pop. if i were in a more creative mood i'd go that route right now.

Yes, that's how it was years ago and I wouldn't mind it going back to "serious business".

Poster's egos have a way of superceding the very reason we're suppose to here, which is U2 music and performances.

I'm guilty probably of having one the largest egos on the boards coupled with mild to moderate obsessive compulsive tendecies on occassions.

But the idea of this thread in it's purest form was genuine.

The rest of the thread with the staged wise cracks and cynical responses from me exacerbated the situation from the thread's original intent and content, which was to float an idea.

And yes I have an medium sized ego and probably one of the more sensitive males on the boards.

But you know I had a few of the newbies and one or 2 seasoned posters with:

-a letter to Principle Management
- Dave Matthews, "
-"Diamond youre so great blah blah poll choices"
-Bono will probably dedicate Gone to me,

which secrectly makes me giggle and jump around like a little b*tch.:D

Regarding Aidan O'Leary's concern:

What about Bono's weight issues? Will they impact this hydraulic strategy?

Yes! Little Bono better get on a green tea diet soon. I saw U2 3D like 8 times now and he could lose a few lbs, I mean if he tried he could be almost as sexy as David Hasselhoff or some other really great performer.:angry:

Are we clear?

Great.

<>

Last edited:
There is something about this song that reminds me of a popular Blonde pop singing sensation that may or may not be suffering from bi-polar disorder.....

...just saying......

anyhoo.. a great song and they should play it live AND dedicate it to ME.....

diamond said:

Yes, that's how it was years ago and I wouldn't mind it going back to "serious business".

<>

i wish it would get back that way myself. sometimes i find the not-so-alive its a musical journey forum, if not often posted, to be much better for actual discussion of U2 than EYKIW now a days.

diamond said:

Poster's egos have a way of superceding the very reason we're suppose to here, which is U2 music and performances.

I'm guilty probably of having one the largest egos on the boards coupled with mild to moderate obsessive compulsive tendecies on occassions.

But the idea of this thread in it's purest form was genuine.

The rest of the thread with the staged wise cracks and cynical responses from me exacerbated the situation from the thread's original intent and content, which was to float an idea.

And yes I have an medium sized ego and probably one of the more sensitive males on the boards.

But you know I had a few of the newbies and one or 2 seasoned posters with:

-a letter to Principle Management
- Dave Matthews, "
-"Diamond youre so great blah blah poll choices"
-Bono will probably dedicate Gone to me,

which secrectly makes me giggle and jump around like a little b*tch.:D

So, hold on, let me get this straight ... you were trying to joke? What portions of what you've stated could be conceived as funny? Witty? Sarcastic? I find none upon looking, and nothing to indicate you were kidding when you continually stated "This is a good idea, I'm telling you. You guys just don't get it."

I'd say, "Maybe you were just wrong," but I doubt the concept of wrong enters into play when we're not talking about other people.

brother aidan-

you will have go reread the entire thread to see exactly what parts i was serious about and about what parts i was facetous about.

something tells me deep inside you have better things to do w your life, or this your attempt at diamondism 101.
;)

dbs

ps- you were correct here though:

"This is a good idea, I'm telling you. You guys just don't get it."

it was other parts when I would be jokingly dismissive or act superior etc.

Last edited:
God morning everyone, I hope your day is starting off well-as mine is.

Upon futhur contemplation of the topic of the thread, some see Gone as equivilent to the song One or Kite perhaps, meaning a deep, solemn beautiful piece not to be blown up into a grand stage production, I would agree with those sentiments. So if Bono tried to make Kite or One into a more theactrical stage show I would agree with some here.

But with" Gone"I detect a much different feel. Although the lyrics are intensely personal, the musical score is *grand* and therefore gives this song wings, the same way Pride , NYD and others have wings and Bono acts out those songs with universal acceptance by *most* U2 fans.

When ppl disagree with me is when I joke back with them mirroring the same cynical tone that they give me. Those that disagree with my thesis, much to the amusement that agree with my premises sometimes are caused befuddlement and emotional aggravation by me becausse of my responses back to them, which they asked for, more or less -but's it's meant to be all in good fun by me.

And that's what gives my threads legs sometimes, and makes them a spectator event.
;)

Love you guys, thanks for playing.

dbs

Last edited:
ultraviolet92 said:
this will never happen
i think bono will always play guitar on this song if they do it again

so you're saying it's like a pipe dream for me only?

I think some people are taking this all a little bit too serious. :wink:

I've always loved this song, its my favorite song off of PoP, and it has a timeless quality to it that im sure it will still be as relevant and mindbending ten years from now as it is today 11 years after its initial release. That said, i always felt like its position during the PoPmart tour was a bit "early" on in the setlist. With the theme of PoP, and the lyrics of the song, they may as well have just played that song and then at the finish the band could have all climbed aboard the lemon and flew off into the night sky to God only knows where and that would be it. Giant spaceship on the big screen taking off as the band exits the stage, and then fade to black...nothing....or starfields again...or, well you get the idea. After Gone, what else did we really need? It could have been the closer. The End.

As for Diamond's idea, well, don't shoot the dreamer who is brave enough to share his dreams with the rest of the class.

Ok guys somewhat serious post here:

I like some of the latter comments being issued by some of my long time friends on the boards here..

Looking at the poll, people familar with db9 polls (my polls) usually with the proper intellect and discernment are able to ascertain that there are "real" choices and "BS choices" in my polls. 2 are BS choices in this poll. Throwing out the BS choices and weighing the "real choices" and whipping out my sexydb9 HP 12 C Mortgage calculator at this point in the scheme of things...75% agree with my proposed idea or parts of my proposed idea.

Some may ask, why the BS choices db9? My answer is this:

Look at it as a screening device to weed out those with predisposed animosity towards my much maligned persona thru faults and no faults of my own, and in the end I celebrate finding out that my idea regardless of the messenger is favored by most on the boards.

If Bono were decide to blow me a kiss or leap into my lap next tour please do not be angry w/either of us.:angry:

Thank you,

dbs
:wink:

Last edited:
Frankly, I think the part of the live versions of 'Gone' that needs to be changed is not anything to do with the presentation at all, but rather the way Bono sings the line 'you can keep this suit of lights'. On both studio recordings, the words 'lights' is four notes long and is a melody unto itself. Live, Bono just sings it in one note, one syllable, in a ho-hum manner, singing 'suit of lights' like one would say 'whatever'.

I've always wanted to Gone live with the word 'lights' properly sung in all its four-note glory.

namkcuR said:

I've always wanted to Gone live with the word 'lights' properly sung in all its four-note glory.

Agreed.

This isn't a coffee house song or a song that needs to be scaled back live.

This song could have wings and take flight.

I'm also kind of conflicted with Yahweh too and on how it was presented the last tour, but I'm not going to write Principle Management or the Moderators of this fourm over this item.

:wink:

dbs

db(s) ;)

im having a hard time stomaching the "BS choices" angle when you say things like don't be surprised if Bono blows me a kiss...

but playing along...if you really did use "BS choices" intentionally to weed out the shit, you realize that the end result is that only 7 respondents out of 47 (ie, 14%) have come remotely close to agreeing with your idea and/or parts of it? And those 7 votes are split 4 and 3 between two choices that are basically the same response, just worded differently? You can't count responses to BS choices, and you can't count negative responses...

maybe I should teach you how to write a poll...see mine in IO. It's a masterpiece ;)

namkcuR said:
Frankly, I think the part of the live versions of 'Gone' that needs to be changed is not anything to do with the presentation at all, but rather the way Bono sings the line 'you can keep this suit of lights'. On both studio recordings, the words 'lights' is four notes long and is a melody unto itself. Live, Bono just sings it in one note, one syllable, in a ho-hum manner, singing 'suit of lights' like one would say 'whatever'.

Agreed 100%. This is why no other version can beat the killer one on Pop!

gabrielvox said:
db(s) ;)

im having a hard time stomaching the "BS choices" angle when you say things like don't be surprised if Bono blows me a kiss...

but playing along...if you really did use "BS choices" intentionally to weed out the shit, you realize that the end result is that only 7 respondents out of 47 (ie, 14%) have come remotely close to agreeing with your idea and/or parts of it? And those 7 votes are split 4 and 3 between two choices that are basically the same response, just worded differently? You can't count responses to BS choices, and you can't count negative responses...

maybe I should teach you how to write a poll...see mine in IO. It's a masterpiece ;)

Brother Vox,

You need to exaimine the poll more closely.

Answers

are legit choices.

are not legit choices.

now go rework the math.

I will look at your IO thread later.

out
<>

I'll play along, why not....

Choice 1 - that is legit? It's not legit. Please let me believe you were being sarcastic. These votes don't count.

Choice 2 - yes, legit, but basically the same as 4

Choice 3 - not legit, fine, we don't count their votes.

Choice 4 - legit, but again, same as choice 2

Choice 5 - legit, but it's a negative to your argument

Choice 6 - is wholly legit, of course it is. It's people telling you that you're dreaming. I voted here. :lol:

So I did rework the math, taking out the bs choices...

7 / 33 (originally 47 but 14 ruled votes to bs choices)

thats 21% yo. Unless your first two intials start with a G and a W, that's not even close to a positive finish man.

gabrielvox said:
I'll play along, why not....

Choice 1 - that is legit? It's not legit. Please let me believe you were being sarcastic. These votes don't count.

Choice 2 - yes, legit, but basically the same as 4

Choice 3 - not legit, fine, we don't count their votes.

Choice 4 - legit, but again, same as choice 2

Choice 5 - legit, but it's a negative to your argument

Choice 6 - is wholly legit, of course it is. It's people telling you that you're dreaming. I voted here. :lol:

So I did rework the math, taking out the bs choices...

7 / 33 (originally 47 but 14 ruled votes to bs choices)

thats 21% yo. Unless your first two intials start with a G and a W, that's not even close to a positive finish man.

Well if you insist on counting #6- you got to give me 50% of that vote because it's ambigous at best BUT friendly in tone and it could mean that yes diamond has a great imagination and a lot of ideas start from wistful thinking, musing or dreams.

You have to count #1 because it's satarical but there are some that thought it was real.

Now please rework the numbers and get back with us, i'm thinking I'm still in the majority here and at the very least the consesus is "Gone" could be played bolder, longer and spiced up.

thank u
<>

ps-

and if that doesn't work we'll go to the db9hanging chad method.:angry:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom