Next Tour, How the song "Gone" should be performed live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the song "Gone" be performed this way?

• Excellent idea diamond, I'm sure Willie Williams and Paul Mcguinness will be doing cart wheels with

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Good idea, this song could work employing parts of what you suggested here.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • diamond, have you considered being a choreographer for and talent director for Hannah Montana?

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • No, this would be a nightmare for U2 Security

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I like it, parts of it could and should be developed

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • diamondbruno, you have quite an imagination.

Votes: 34 51.5%

• Total voters
I think they should perform it just like the Elevation tour, maybe with the longer solo that Edge wanted in Boston, did not get and famously smashed his guitar in anger over that among other things. The tuning of the song was off and then Larry supposedly cut Edge's solo short. It sounded spectacular to me, the only thing they need to do is have the longer solo and maybe make it a little harder hitting as others have suggested. They cant do it anymore, some will certainly cry, but remember Electric co on the Vertigo tour! Possibly the best performances ever of the song. I also think they should bring back Dirty Day or Exit to play before Gone. Do not respond to that part about exit or dirty day here, I am about to start a new thread about that.

Now back to the topic at hand:

For the 'purest' fans of the song in it's original format, I can empathise with you and understand not wanting to pervert this song from it's original beauty. Totally understood.

That said, every tour since War the band in one way or another has tweaked, manipulated or enhanced the majority of their music live.

This is only natural progression or evolution of a beautiful song.

Well, of course, you are right in everything I just quoted. I agree that some of their best live performances have been of songs that are significantly altered from the album version. Last Night on Earth, Mysterious Ways, Bad, WOWY, One, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet and Desire(particularly on zoo tv), and especially, Gone and Love is Blindness with Edge's incredible solo. However, NONE of these new enhanced live takes on the songs involved anything near as elaborate and Hannah Montana like routines as you have suggested. Please, you are using a perfectly good argument that U2 enhances most of their songs live to make a God-awful point that this would somehow enhance Gone. I think they should stick with what has worked in enhancing songs, I would say it has been plenty succesful as they are as good a live band as ever today. Let U2 leave the circus theatrics to Britney and NSYNC, Spice Girls, Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers and Fall Out Boy-- in other words, leave them to acts whose music does not and can not speak for itself!

U2 needs fireworks...

maybe Paul McG is too cheap

so, blame HIM for not having Electrical Storm last tour :madspit:

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Well, as for COBL... yes, his antics there are a little bit silly, but COBL is also a very upbeat song, and I find it kind of okay there. And An Cat Dubh... is horrible. I can't even watch that part of the Chicago DVD anymore.

One other question. You seem a little surprised/offended that people are disagreeing with you, and rather unaccepting of our differing opinions. Did you really think we'd come in here going "Wow! That's the best idea ever!"?

Of course not love.

This is expected on Interference.Com. A lot of my posts are to illict view points and humorously argue why my angle has the most BonoCred.:)

As far as people saying, "OMG Wtf is Bono doing now!?" I promise you he lives for those live moments-the essence of a U2 show.

It would hurt his feelings if he read that you weren't worked up for his An Cat Dubh antics, I believe.

And some of us need to stop sexualizing Bono's every move.

Thank u,

dbs

pepokiss said:
U2 needs fireworks...

maybe Paul McG is too cheap

so, blame HIM for not having Electrical Storm last tour :madspit:

Mr McGuinness needs a tupee before U2 needs fireworks for their shows.

dbs

U2387 said:
Now back to the topic at hand:

For the 'purest' fans of the song in it's original format, I can empathise with you and understand not wanting to pervert this song from it's original beauty. Totally understood.

That said, every tour since War the band in one way or another has tweaked, manipulated or enhanced the majority of their music live.

This is only natural progression or evolution of a beautiful song.

Well, of course, you are right in everything I just quoted. I agree that some of their best live performances have been of songs that are significantly altered from the album version. Last Night on Earth, Mysterious Ways, Bad, WOWY, One, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Bullet and Desire(particularly on zoo tv), and especially, Gone and Love is Blindness with Edge's incredible solo. However, NONE of these new enhanced live takes on the songs involved anything near as elaborate and Hannah Montana like routines as you have suggested. Please, you are using a perfectly good argument that U2 enhances most of their songs live to make a God-awful point that this would somehow enhance Gone. I think they should stick with what has worked in enhancing songs, I would say it has been plenty succesful as they are as good a live band as ever today. Let U2 leave the circus theatrics to Britney and NSYNC, Spice Girls, Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers and Fall Out Boy-- in other words, leave them to acts whose music does not and can not speak for itself!

You should experiment with your art also.

dbs

Would it be a nightmare for some of the posters here if Bono were say in 2009 at the beginning of a performance of the song Gone-

"Big guy, my man diamond wherever you are, and I know you're never far from me- this ones for you":wink:

hmm?

<>

diamond said:
Of course not love.

This is expected on Interference.Com. A lot of my posts are to illict view points and humorously argue why my angle has the most BonoCred.:)

As far as people saying, "OMG Wtf is Bono doing now!?" I promise you he lives for those live moments-the essence of a U2 show.

It would hurt his feelings if he read that you weren't worked up for his An Cat Dubh antics, I believe.

And some of us need to stop sexualizing Bono's every move.

Thank u,

dbs
Don't call me love.

And I will sexualize what I want to sexualize.

Now I'm off to go fantasize about Shakira.

Take care.

diamond said:
Would it be a nightmare for some of the posters here if Bono were say in 2009 at the beginning of a performance of the song Gone-

"Big guy, my man diamond wherever you are, and I know you're never far from me- this ones for you":wink:

hmm?

<>

No, but it sure as hell is a complete fantasy for one poster here.

:wink:

diamond said:

You should experiment with your art also.

dbs

Care to explain what the hell that suggestion means?? I am quickly begginning to think you are in the delusional category, but will give you the benefit of the doubt as you posted on my thread.

diamond said:

Finally, a brother found amongst strangers.. :angry:

to be fair, since edge goes nuts on this song, i also think he needs some sort of theatrics. something between bono and the edge going on here.

also, bono playing guitar is quite tricky. just to see him doing it on a catwalk or scaffolding would be worth the price of admission.

U2387 said:

Care to explain what the hell that suggestion means?? I am quickly begginning to think you are in the delusional category, but will give you the benefit of the doubt as you posted on my thread.

Ha.

It means that as the owner of the art that a person or band creates in this case we're talking about the songs they've created, Bono and the band have the right to rework, to reformat and reframe their work anyway they see fit.

If you don't like how they present it at their show you have a few options:

1-You can write Principle Management and threaten to never go to a U2 Show again and become a full fledged Dave Matthew's fan and band supporter.

2-You can sit down during the performance of the new version of the song in protest the same way some U2 fans did in June of 2001 @ Boston night 2 because they didn't like the seating arrangement, and in the end made themselves look like spoiled self absorbed drama queens.

3-You can accept the fact that U2 has consistently experimented and reworked their art and music through the 1000s of shows that they've performed over the last 30 years and the vast majoity of the fans have agreed with their choice of artistic and musical direction.

Who's the delusional one?

dbs

diamond said:

Ha.

It means that as the owner of the art that a person or band creates in this case we're talking about the songs they've created, Bono and the band have the right to rework, to reformat and reframe their work anyway they see fit.

1-You can write Principle Management and threaten to never go to a U2 Show again and become a full fledged Dave Matthew's fan and band supporter.

2-You can sit down during the performance of the new version of the song in protest the same way some U2 fans did in June of 2001 @ Boston night 2 because they didn't like the seating arrangement, and in the end made themselves look like spoiled self absorbed drama queens.

3-You can accept the fact that U2 has consistently experimented and reworked their art and music through the 1000s of shows that they've performed over the last 30 years and the vast majoity of the fans have agreed with their choice of artistic and musical direction.

dbs

You know, I always told myself that what EYKIW really needed was the special brand of condescension and arrogance that you bring to the table. Nice work, dbs. :up:

Oh, and in case you forgot:

1)This is your crazy idea, not Principle Management's or the band's.

2)Your idea will never see the light of day, and saying it will won't change that.

3)You're right, the vast majority of fans have agreed with U2's choice of artistic and musical direction. However, your direction is most assuredly not their direction.

Diemen said:

You know, I always told myself that what EYKIW really needed was the special brand of condescension and arrogance that you bring to the table. Nice work, dbs. :up:

hence the name:

Everything You Know Is Wrong.

:)

dbs

diamond said:

Ha.

dbs
I can answer your last question on who is delusional w/100% certainty now. ITS YOU, rest assured. I do not even think you read my post about U2 adapting their stuff live and how I agreed with you that I liked it! You certainly would not find me sitting down in protest or doing any other kind of prima donna thing, I would not threaten management w/becoming a stoned off my ass yuppie dave matthews fan. Believe me, I have seen/heard plenty of DMB and there is no danger of that happening. Most importantly, you act as if U2 has already done what you are suggesting and that the rest of us have to just accept it or take our ball and go home! As far as I know, the band has never even considered anything like this and they have had plenty of great artistical feats like Zoo TV and the Pop Lemon. None were anywhere near as stupid/crazy/teenie bopper pop cliche as you have suggested. What's next, they should come down from the rafters on strings like NSYNC did back around 1999-2000? Please do not confuse your crazy idea that will never happen with U2's very fitting reworking of their material over the years. I like what they have done, and I accept it, just like you say, they have every right to rework their art. A suggestion: when they do not take your idea, you have 3 options:

I still think you are winning the delusional race!

U2387 said:

Believe me, I have seen/heard plenty of DMB and there is no danger of that happening. Most importantly, you act as if U2 has already done what you are suggesting and that the rest of us have to just accept it or take our ball and go home! As far as I know, the band has never even considered anything like this and they have had plenty of great artistical feats like Zoo TV and the Pop Lemon. None were anywhere near as stupid/crazy/teenie bopper pop cliche as you have suggested. What's next, they should come down from the rafters on strings like NSYNC did back around 1999-2000? Please do not confuse your crazy idea that will never happen with U2's very fitting reworking of their material over the years. I like what they have done, and I accept it, just like you say, they have every right to rework their art. A suggestion: when they do not take your idea, you have 3 options:

I still think you are winning the delusional race!
I do not even think you read my post about U2 adapting their stuff live and how I agreed with you that I liked it! You certainly would not find me sitting down in protest or doing any other kind of prima donna thing, I would not threaten management w/becoming a stoned off my ass yuppie dave matthews fan.

I did read that and we are really on the same page, but where I think you lose me or misunderstand me is when I put *very silly* choices in my poll responses.

I'm also really with you on set lists and against set list whiners.:up:

Being that I've been posting here for 6+ years a lot of parts of my posts are serious, parts are my wistful thinking and musing, parts are an attempt to make ppl laugh for example the Hanna Montana, write Principle Management and DMB quips, among other things. Kinda like chatting at a Starbucks with a bunch of U2 fans, do you get it a little better now?

Those are all in good fun, or meant to be.

Do I have any really illusions that U2 are going to use my hydraulics suggestion for Gone next tour? None at all. It's my private musing on a public message board.
;)

When I ridicule people here, it's really me attempting to make things light, like chiding in really life, and I forget that some people are not in tune with my sense of humor, very sensitive and so for that -I apologize.

The gist and joke really of this whole thread was if Bono and U2 would take a random fan's suggestion and for me to *pretend* I was "king-sh*t", and everybody was beneath me-that was my attempt at a joke, I hope you get where I was trying to go with this.

I think you well now.

And Diemen my long time nemiesis and part time ego checker, must you always exploit my feeble attempts at lopsided humor?
For shame, you know better.

:)

dbs

Last edited:
Diemen said:

Oh, and in case you forgot:

1)This is your crazy idea, not Principle Management's or the band's.

2)Your idea will never see the light of day, and saying it will won't change that.

3)You're right, the vast majority of fans have agreed with U2's choice of artistic and musical direction. However, your direction is most assuredly not their direction.

Agree totally. Read my post responding to the diamond thing you quote as condescension and arrogance! I think between the 2 of us, we took care of him!:lol:

EYKIW: Serious bidness.

i still say i like the idea of the thread. it's at the very least outside the box and if people posted their other off the wall ideas we'd at least have some humorous mental images and a thread about something else besides U2 3D and who hates HTDAAB and who hates pop. if i were in a more creative mood i'd go that route right now.

Back
Top Bottom