Next Tour, How the song "Gone" should be performed live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should the song "Gone" be performed this way?

• Excellent idea diamond, I'm sure Willie Williams and Paul Mcguinness will be doing cart wheels with

Votes: 11 16.7%
  • Good idea, this song could work employing parts of what you suggested here.

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • diamond, have you considered being a choreographer for and talent director for Hannah Montana?

Votes: 13 19.7%
  • No, this would be a nightmare for U2 Security

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I like it, parts of it could and should be developed

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • diamondbruno, you have quite an imagination.

Votes: 34 51.5%

• Total voters
major_panic said:
poster83286364.jpg
Srsly. I can't even vote in this poll because there's no "This is a stupid idea." option. Yes it would be a nightmare for U2 security, but that's not why it's a bad idea.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Srsly. I can't even vote in this poll because there's no "This is a stupid idea." option. Yes it would be a nightmare for U2 security, but that's not why it's a bad idea.

And it's a stupid idea because?

dbs

I so can't wait for the next tour.

If there are hydraulics and Bono uses them...it means he has so tapped into the diamondbrunoconscsioussyndrome.

then all u will be lining up to kiss my ring finger.

of course, at that time i may find myself to be too busy for most of u, chatting up eno or someone else on me cell ph.

:angry:

diamond said:
I so can't wait for the next tour.

If there are hydraulics and Bono uses them...it means he has so tapped into the diamondbrunoconscsioussyndrome.

then all u will be lining up to kiss my ring finger.

of course, at that time i may find myself to be too busy for most of u, chatting up eno or someone else on me cell ph.

:angry:

Yep, definitely the last option.

diamond said:
And it's a stupid idea because?

dbs
Because it's completely ridiculous.

I just find it far too literal. Bono walking on scaffolding above the audience singing "I'm not coming down" and pretending to stumble when he sings "You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy"... I find that ridiculous. The song is not about any sort of physical positions or actions. It's spiritual, it's emotional. It's about what's going on on the inside. To act it out physically in such a cheesy way would cheapen the song tremendously.

i think i'm either on ignore as well, or he just ignored my comment. if i'm on ignore, it means he can't see the demotivational i posted about him. :hmm:

DreamOutLoud13 said:
and pretending to stumble when he sings "You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy"... I find that ridiculous.

Well, to be fair, Bono has been that literal on stage about other songs.

"Let me take some of the punches for you tonight" one example. That uber-cheesy hand-heart he does when singing love, love, love in Streets being another. Both unnecessary and a little lame, if you ask me...

DreamOutLoud13 said:

Because it's completely ridiculous.

I just find it far too literal. Bono walking on scaffolding above the audience singing "I'm not coming down" and pretending to stumble when he sings "You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy"... I find that ridiculous. The song is not about any sort of physical positions or actions. It's spiritual, it's emotional. It's about what's going on on the inside. To act it out physically in such a cheesy way would cheapen the song tremendously.

The ideas suggested were not to be followed literally by script.

Bono is theactrical. He loves the moment, living in that moment and creating theactrical moments-this is his very nature.

Look at him singing COBL, An Cat Dubh, Pride, UTEOTW and his antics on stage-these songs aren't all wrtten to be performed exactly literal.

Now you may find those antics cheesy as well; that's your preogative.

Musical purists may claim to understand the meaning of U2 songs; but the artist who writes and performs them has the final say how they may want to present their work.

All I offered was a different way for the artist to present one piece of his work. You and I disagree apparently, but I do understand your point, maybe Gone isn't the very best song-but it kinda works for me.

I prefer clarity to agreement however.

dbs

Last edited:
Varitek said:
oh i am so definitely being ignored :hyper:

must have been the gay thread i started.

no you're not.

demonic singing and Gone wouldn't work.

the only place there is any semblence or appearance of evil demonic type singing is quite rare at a U2 show.

Gone is more lamenting, introspective and heart felt in it's nature so it wouldn't work.

dbs

gabrielvox said:
fuck the hydraulics, just give Bono the damn outtr o solo (a la Toronto Elevation) and it will :rockon:

Can we see a clip of that please for exploratory reasons?

dbs

waynetravis said:
Sound like something from a WWE event...:lol:

Wasn't meant to be, as it was only
a 1st rough draft in my head.

I usually listen to Pop in the Spring time every year and Gone is one of those songs that I love. It encapulates you when you blast it thru your car stereo speakers .:up:

It's a personal song about Bono from my interpretaion with a very grandiouse musical texture.

Now if i was promoting an idea that "Wild Honey" or "Stuck In A Moment" should be worked this way live you all would be justified in giving me a slap, but I have not; ergo I seek your salutations only.

thank u,

dbs
<>

luna_lovegood said:
Question, while we're on the topic of Gone live; at the beginning of Gone on the elevation Boston DVD, does Bono yell out "Hutch, Hear Me!" ... as in Michael Hutchence? Or am I hearing things?

"hear me"!
I couldn't never decipher that...I always thought was yelling, "Hutch....ya mon!" (some kind of dual shout to Hutch and Bob Marley, I figured.)

diamond said:
The ideas suggested were not to be followed literally by script.

Bono is theactrical. He loves the moment, living in that moment and creating theactrical moments-this is his very nature.

Look at him singing COBL, An Cat Dubh, Pride, UTEOTW and his antics on stage-these songs aren't all wrtten to be performed exactly literal.

Now you may find those antics cheesy as well; that's your preogative.
Well, as for COBL... yes, his antics there are a little bit silly, but COBL is also a very upbeat song, and I find it kind of okay there. And An Cat Dubh... is horrible. I can't even watch that part of the Chicago DVD anymore. It's embarrassing. But I don't even know what the fuck he does in Pride. I am so sick of that song, that I pretty much ignore it. As for UTEOTW... I kind of like what he did there, what with molesting the camera and fighting/kissing Edge. It was kind of hot.

The big difference though, is that none of those songs are arguably my favourite U2 song ever. It's one of three that rotate for the top position, but Gone is very close to my heart. I doubt they could ever top the Elevation tour performance of it. My only complaint with the PopMart performance was that it was too bright, all of the blue and green and white on the big screen was too much. Gone is a dark song, I didn't like it with such bright lights.

Gone just has such intense lyrics, that I'd rather the song be performed as a song, rather than a wild display of theatrics. The audience should be deep into the moment with Bono, not gawking and going "WTF is Bono doing?!"

Is that enough clarity for you?

diamond said:
Musical purists may claim to understand the meaning of U2 songs; but the artist who writes and performs them has the final say how they may want to present their work.

All I offered was a different way for the artist to present one piece of his work. You and I disagree apparently, but I do understand your point, maybe Gone isn't the very best song-but it kinda works for me.

I prefer clarity to agreement however.

dbs
Yes. It's up to the band, not you. But maybe next time you see Bono, you can suggest it to him. While you're at it, suggest he watch Battlestar Galactica so that he can gain political insightfulness from it to use on the next album.

One other question. You seem a little surprised/offended that people are disagreeing with you, and rather unaccepting of our differing opinions. Did you really think we'd come in here going "Wow! That's the best idea ever!"?

Back
Top Bottom