Next Tour DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Joey788 said:

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want a DVD shoot in New York?

I think the reason he wrote that is because a New York DVD would be too cliche. So many artists film in New York. IMO, that is the reason that U2 has filmed in Boston and in Chicago but not in New York yet. Personally, I wouldn't mind New York as long as long as it is not in MSG. And that is because outdoors would be much better than indoors.

I think sometime before they retire we will se a "U2 Live at Madison Square Garden" DVD...

it's too obvious...

maybe that'll be their last Indoors DVD... being the actual final DVD "U2 Live from Dublin, The Last Show"

U2FanPeter said:

I know that Bono repeats stage banter, but the soundman's noise level meter and reports from those that follow shows bear out the unusually loud volume of the crowd.

And where do you find this information? Av NEVER heard of such a thing. I know they monitor acoustics of the venue etc during concerts

Infinitum98 said:

Really?

Were the Boston and Chicago DVDs that bad? Can you explain further please. :)

Watch Zoo Tv and then watch Chicago Vertigo...

It's mainly the difference in cutting, David Mallet (Zoo TV) will hold shots a lot longer and uses a lot more wide shots.

Hamilton on the other hand, uses a lot more close ups and is constantly quick cutting between angles. It's like he has ADD or something, he refuses to hold a shot longer than 5 seconds.

Last edited:
gman said:

And where do you find this information? Av NEVER heard of such a thing. I know they monitor acoustics of the venue etc during concerts

Willie's diary from 2001? Or maybe Bono mentioned it from the stage after the encore in 2005.

elevated_u2_fan said:

Watch Zoo Tv and then watch Chicago Vertigo...

It's mainly the difference in cutting, David Mallet (Zoo TV) will hold shots a lot longer and uses a lot more wide shots.

Hamilton on the other hand, uses a lot more close ups and is constantly quick cutting between angles. It's like he has ADD or something, he refuses to hold a shot longer than 5 seconds.

I'm completely with you by hating Hamilton :wink: but I also didn't like the ZooTV DVD. Mainy the video-material is just horrible to look at - that's just a huge difference to Rattle and Hum. I wish Joneau had made a ZooTV DVD with 35mm film - that would be so great

:drool: :drool: :drool:

back to Hamilton -
it's not only the cutting (perhaps the most annoying thing about his style) - it's also this stupid camera shaking and zooming that gives me nightmares.
For me it seems that he just does not get U2 -
he most times has so many angles but most times it seems in the Cutting-Room he is always choosing to wrong ones...

I hope someday Bono will get it:

WATCH MORE TV __ BONO!

Infinitum98 said:
Why all the Hamish Hamilton hate? :huh:

And I don't mind where they film, as long as it is some place new and unique.

I think Slane was excellent (mostly because of the show, but the editing wasn't bad either), Boston was a strong show but a bit all over the place as a film, but honestly move onto someone new. Chicago was all over the place but the show gets a lot of flak for being weak (early show, Bono being sick).

Do a small club tour and shoot that, using Anton Corbijn.

Joey788 said:

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want a DVD shoot in New York?

because the way u2 opperates on DVD shoots they tend to be dull, safe, unrelaxed, more scripted than normal shows, and on top of it they sometimes limit seating on the floor to make room for camera crews, etc.

if they were to just get a basic core film crew that just fills in rather than making it obvious that they're making a dvd then i'd love an MSG dvd... when i saw pearl jam at MSG i didn't even know they were filming a DVD until they announced months later that they were releasing it.

I would love to see any future filming done somewhere other than a stadium or arena. Somewhere a bit special like Redrocks....but not Redrocks.

gman said:
I would love to see any future filming done somewhere other than a stadium or arena. Somewhere a bit special like Redrocks....but not Redrocks.

The Gorge Ampitheater

Infinitum98 said:
Why all the Hamish Hamilton hate? :huh:

And I don't mind where they film, as long as it is some place new and unique.

Here is a excerpt from Hammish when directing a U2 show:

Hammish: Get Bono
1 second later
Hammish: Get Edge
1 second later
Hammish: Ooh get Larry
.01 seconds later
Hammish: Get Adams bass, not Adam...zoom in more
1 second later: Get more Bono, focus on the mic

I love the way Mexico Popmart was filmed. Captured the performance, spirit of the crowd, and the Popmart (stage). They could film from New Orleans. U2 live from the Superdome...

zoopop said:

I love the way Mexico Popmart was filmed. Captured the performance, spirit of the crowd, and the Popmart (stage)

And God bless Mallet for it

It's just like this both Sydney and Mexico are shot flawless in my eyes

I don't understand why they don't just videotape every night with 8-10 cameras and pick the best performance at the end of the tour.

BTW, the "Hamish" edit hackjobs likely have as much to do with u2 as they do HH. U2 still want to appeal to younger audience members. Strangely the HH directed live videos for Brits, MTV Euro awards, Avril Lavigne, Peter Gabriel(etc...) do not suffer from similar edit issues as U2.

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:
Strangely the HH directed live videos for Brits, MTV Euro awards, Avril Lavigne, Peter Gabriel(etc...) do not suffer from similar edit issues as U2.

u2fp

his style just doesn't fit with U2. When I see Bono with his Cowboy-hat I always think he should watch more westerns - like "once upson a time in the west" or "the good, the bad and the ugly" - long shots, only a few cuts, but all very powerful. This style fits to U2s music -

Joneau did a good job 20 years ago - I just don't get why they don't hired him again for live DVDs.

I nominate Jonathan Demme

Watch the "Stop Making Sense"(Talking Heads 1983) and "Prarie Wind"(Neil Young 2005) concert films.

That said, I don't know if any u2 tour from Zoo-Vertigo could be techinically/accurately documented on film stock. The Imax film should set us straight(is there a trailer circulating??)

U2FanPeter said:
I nominate Jonathan Demme

Watch the "Stop Making Sense"(Talking Heads 1983) and "Prarie Wind"(Neil Young 2005) concert films.

That said, I don't know if any u2 tour from Zoo-Vertigo could be techinically/accurately documented on film stock. The Imax film should set us straight(is there a trailer circulating??)

Demme is also great. I saw both - looked cool. :drool:

But Joneau stays as my absolute favourite concert-director ever.

On the RealD-site is the U2 3D trailer still online:

http://www.reald.com/

I think it looks cool. Trailers are always cutted fast - for the 3D thing they have to take longer shots, less cuts. And there is no camera shaking or zooming.
I have high hopes...

elevated_u2_fan said:
I know this is complete fantasy but Martin Scorsese would be :drool: :drool: and not completely impossible given the bands involvement in Gangs Of NY... :hmm:

they are friends. Bono and the Edge were also at the Premiere of "the Departed" - would be really great to see him as a U2 director. And the actually Stones -Trailer looks also cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKS6tduF43E

What I really would love to see - Tarantino making a U2 film.

:drool:

powerhour24 said:

The Gorge Ampitheater

gorge.jpg

:drool:

U2FanPeter said:
BTW, the "Hamish" edit hackjobs likely have as much to do with u2 as they do HH. U2 still want to appeal to younger audience members.

I think you're right. How do you present yourself as a middle-aged rock band? Quickly. Lots of cuts and obfuscation. Of course I think that's crazy, but apparently someone in the U2 camp buys into it.

This stuff has a U2 stamp of approval on it. Something I thought was interesting on the Boston Elevation thing - during the director cam or whatever, he was making the calls for shots, but it was obvious that they had slipped in tons more shots in post when you look at the finished product.

It's not like they can't undo the combination and speed of shots. This is the way they want to be seen, hard core fans be damned.

Reminds me of the Sydney B-stage stuff. In the middle of all this technology, you can see this beautiful human interaction with shots long enough to show the band smirking at each other, giving each other cues.

ahittle said:

I think you're right. How do you present yourself as a middle-aged rock band? Quickly. Lots of cuts and obfuscation. Of course I think that's crazy, but apparently someone in the U2 camp buys into it.

This stuff has a U2 stamp of approval on it. Something I thought was interesting on the Boston Elevation thing - during the director cam or whatever, he was making the calls for shots, but it was obvious that they had slipped in tons more shots in post when you look at the finished product.

It's not like they can't undo the combination and speed of shots. This is the way they want to be seen, hard core fans be damned.

Reminds me of the Sydney B-stage stuff. In the middle of all this technology, you can see this beautiful human interaction with shots long enough to show the band smirking at each other, giving each other cues.

Everyone who hates HH should dig out their video copies of U2's 3 song set at the 2001 BRITS. Tell me it's not incredible.

U2FanPeter said:

Everyone who hates HH should dig out their video copies of U2's 3 song set at the 2001 BRITS. Tell me it's not incredible.

I love that also - he had a good day, U2 had even a better day. Bono walking and singing until the end... was just great.
And I really wish Bono never had seen this stuff - because Bono wachted it, called that freaking idiot after that and hired him.
Hamilton ist just the Jerry Bruckheimer of Music-DVD. A man with no style. Lots of stupid effect-crapping and no heart, sorry - I just hate him...

Back
Top Bottom