Next summer, amphitheater US Tour??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
U2 have always played in arenas or stadiums. I recently bought DMB tickets for Polaris Amphitheater in Columbus. That's a good venue, I see the majority of my concerts there. I just wonder what would U2 be like in these types of venues. A pit in the front, then the pavilion seating, then a huge lawn behind that. The venue is outdoors and has a roof overhead. Would U2 be any good in a place like this, or should they stick with arenas? These venues are kinda like Red Rocks, only bigger.

Here in the Bay Area our main amphitheatre is called Shoreline, it has reserved seating in the front and then a huge lawn area in the back ... the only thing I don't like about it is that there is really no "pit" area, it is all reserved. And the security at this venue is normally way too tight. In fact last time I saw a show there they made us put out our cigarettes even though we were outside!

I saw a DMB concert on TV and it was recorded at the Gorge. Man, that looks like the most beautiful place in the world to see a concert. I bet seeing U2 there would be an amazing experience.

I don't think so. Here's why:

A. Most ampitheaters don't hold enough people to get them the money they want.

B. The outdoors, especially at night in take-your-chances weather, are not good for Bono's voice.

U2SJ said:
Here in the Bay Area our main amphitheatre is called Shoreline, it has reserved seating in the front and then a huge lawn area in the back ... the only thing I don't like about it is that there is really no "pit" area, it is all reserved. And the security at this venue is normally way too tight. In fact last time I saw a show there they made us put out our cigarettes even though we were outside!

I can tell you plenty of adventures that I have had at the Shoreline I actually dont like that venue bc of the seating arrangments!!!

I don't think so... just because U2 is very much about connecting with the audience, and getting all of them riled up. In an amphitheatre with such a lawn I would imagine that being very hard, since the people in the back are more disconnected. I believe they did play in a few earlier, maybe on the October and War tours as part of festivals with other bands. I think the US festival was at an amphitheatre and look Bono did there to get everyone's attention :huh: I saw the video from Roskilde, Denmark, he gets up in a crane and hangs out over the side over the audience.

I have actually attended 3 of U2's only amphitheater shows. All in 1992, in Chicago, at the World Amphitheater. It was interesting but it was like seeing a different tour really. Actually for the 2nd night it caused me to upgrade my seats as they decided to use the B stage and ramp for the venue (originally they were not sure if it would work there) it eliminated my seat as a result for that night. Upgraded to 9th row dead center as a result.

Its possible they could do it again, but I doubdt it. Typically the stage set up they have is designed for a specific type of venue (IE arenas for Elevation) and it is difficult to go to a different type of venue. It can be done (IE Berlin on Elevation) but it is just easier logistically to play the same type of venues most of the time.

Last edited:
Actually, most of these amphitheaters hold more people than the arenas do. Not everywhere. But most are 20,000+. Aerosmith did a cool thing where they had the b-stage in the middle of the lawn. I had lawn seats, so I was really pleased about that.

But I see U2 sticking with arenas. For the very fact that the people in the lawn are very far away, and also that with amphitheaters they wouldn't be able to have their own stage. I suppose for bands like DMB or Pearl Jam, they don't really care about putting the spectacle in concerts. But U2, that's one of their specialties. Taking your own stage on tour is a requirement for that. I'm interested to see how Zoo Tv did in that amphitheater in Chicago.

adamswildhoney said:

I can tell you plenty of adventures that I have had at the Shoreline I actually dont like that venue bc of the seating arrangments!!!

Would love to hear some of your stories! This place has cool memories for me, it was the site of my 1st concert, the year Shoreline opened, Madonna! And my favorite night there was INXS Kick tour... amazing. Oh and all the Bridge Benefits...
Lots of fun up in the lawn area, but the last few years its no good, and U2 there wouldn't work, you always feel far away from the band there, unless you are in the front row....

oh god no!! I saw Matchbox 20 and the who at polaris and DMB at river bend. and i went to outdoor thing with a lot of bands in MI. it was hot, and from the lawn i could not see anything. people treated me like shit they pushed me around worse than in any GA i have been in. the sound is shitty and it just all around isn't as good as an arena concert. Some venues are nice. Riverbend is complete shit though..poles blocked like 1/3 of stage. and it is all on this steep hill. I HATED it. I left the DMB show before it was over. i loved the who playing..but could see nothing. Grrr If U2 plays ampitheaters i will go on a crazed rampage

this might sound cheezie but I want the Elevation Heart concept back....maybe not exactly but the same Idea of seeing them up close and that's not quite possible in an amphitheater, not to mention the weather conditions!

Last edited:
I definately want the heart back. That was the PERFECT concept. I thought the b-stage ramp thing was a great idea, but the heart is just so much better. I know they aren't about repeating themselves, but what else could they do? Ah fuck amphitheaters. I agree that arenas are where U2 are best. Not even stadiums. Too big. I just can't see U2 having a plain stage at the end of an arena like they did on Joshua Tree Tour, etc. They have to have something extend into the audience. It's just the nature of their shows by now. So no amphitheaters. Fine.

AdamsMango said:
Riverbend is complete shit though..poles blocked like 1/3 of stage. and it is all on this steep hill. I HATED it. I left the DMB show before it was over.

I so agree! I hate that place. It's a good place for an outdoor amphitheater. Right along the Ohio river....you can see Kentucky from inside, kinda in a wooded area. Nice scene, but the actual venue is shit. I saw Tom Petty there. I was on the lawn, but fortunately I was in the part of the lawn NOT blocked by the unnecessarily wide pillars. Polaris is a nice venue. Of course, it's probably like 20 years newer than Riverbend. Pretty good visibility from anywhere. They should do something different with Riverbend. Like raise the roof and make it look more like Polaris. To anyone out there....if it's possible, don't see a show at Riverbend.

Being in the Columbus area I like Polaris ok but I really wouldnt want to see U2 there. Their presence almost seems too big in itself for Polaris. I would love to see them come back to Nationwide. I think it's the best venue in the area. I loved the whole Popmart experience but would prefer to see an arena show here...it has a more intimate feeling even though you are still there with thousands of other people. Ohio Stadium felt almost too massive and I just didnt get that connected feeling that I did when seeing Elevation. I too loved the heart.

Kariann said:
Being in the Columbus area I like Polaris ok but I really wouldnt want to see U2 there. Their presence almost seems too big in itself for Polaris. I would love to see them come back to Nationwide. I think it's the best venue in the area. I loved the whole Popmart experience but would prefer to see an arena show here...it has a more intimate feeling even though you are still there with thousands of other people. Ohio Stadium felt almost too massive and I just didnt get that connected feeling that I did when seeing Elevation. I too loved the heart.

Nationwide was pretty nice! I liked where it was placed too. I didn't have to stay at a hotel when i went to that concert! Always a plus! I have only seen U2 in arenas..but i have seen other concerts in other places..and U2 works so much better indoors..plus you dont have to worry about the weather!

AdamsMango said:

Nationwide was pretty nice! I liked where it was placed too. I didn't have to stay at a hotel when i went to that concert! Always a plus! I have only seen U2 in arenas..but i have seen other concerts in other places..and U2 works so much better indoors..plus you dont have to worry about the weather!

I would have to disagree somewhat. While U2 is great in arenas, they are great in stadiums as well. They are one of the few acts that can pull off a stadium show. I have seen them many times in both, and there are aspects of both that are great. Overall arenas probebly are better. But stadiums insure that all those that want a ticket get one and there is a unique and great atmosphere to seeing U2 with 40 to 50 thousand people. You want an adrenaline rush at a concert. How about when the lights come up on Streets and 50,000 people are all jumping and clapping along.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom