Next single in Australia is....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe to you chart positions and singles don't matter Earnie. But for me I get great satisfaction seeing U2 at the top of the singles chart. I suspect I'm not alone. The last thing I want is U2 to turn into just an album and touring band. Sometimes could of been a huge single if it was released earlier. Same with Vertigo, would of hit #1 and not #5. Same now will happen with COBL. My point is with Both Vertigo and Sometimes if they were marketed smarter they both would have hit #1. Vertigo for sure. With other artists if I hear a song on the radio for the first time and want to buy the single it would be around 2 weeks later. With U2 its 2 bloody months. Everyone is over the song by the time it comes out. I'm pretty sure the Vertigo tour will be here late Feb or early March.

Very true Palace. Thinking like you do saw me go to the States to see them on the Elevation tour. I expect u2 here in feb but imagine if they decide to further extend the tour and go back to europe like zoo tv. Could be November or December 2006 before they tour here.

Leebonoman96 said:
Maybe to you chart positions and singles don't matter Earnie. But for me I get great satisfaction seeing U2 at the top of the singles chart. I suspect I'm not alone.

You are not alone and good call mate.

U2 are worthy of being up the top of charts, beacuse they write some of the most brilliant music of the 21st Century.

Seeing U2 at the top of the singles chart would reassure me that they can still appeal to a new and younger audience, and that honest rock and roll isn't dead.

I had one of my tours of the record stores that are all close to Swanston St last week (Sanity, JBHIFI, Virgin and HMV) and there were seemingly hundreds of unsold copies of SYCMIOYO.

Perhaps if the marketing of the single was better, those Cd's would have all been bought already.

It's sickening to see Nitty, Ciara, Destiny's Child and Missy Higgins saturating the top 10. U2 should be there. That's not just because I am a fan, but because brilliance should be rewarded.

intedomine said:

You are not alone and good call mate.

U2 are worthy of being up the top of charts, beacuse they write some of the most brilliant music of the 21st Century.

Seeing U2 at the top of the singles chart would reassure me that they can still appeal to a new and younger audience, and that honest rock and roll isn't dead.

I had one of my tours of the record stores that are all close to Swanston St last week (Sanity, JBHIFI, Virgin and HMV) and there were seemingly hundreds of unsold copies of SYCMIOYO.

Perhaps if the marketing of the single was better, those Cd's would have all been bought already.

It's sickening to see Nitty, Ciara, Destiny's Child and Missy Higgins saturating the top 10. U2 should be there. That's not just because I am a fan, but because brilliance should be rewarded.

All of the above is true. I didn't mean that a singles chart position shouldn't be of importance to you or I, that's all about pride in your favourite band and thats great. I just meant that singles sales have dropped off (in Australia at least) at such a staggering rate, that their promotion is barely worth the cost. Just have a look at the space the 'singles section' of your local record store now commands compared to even 5 years ago, let alone 10 years ago. I don't know the current stats, I don't work in the music industry anymore, but as of 2002, the amount of sales you needed to reach #1 was only 50% of what you needed in 2000. That's 2 years difference and downloading has made far more inroads since then. I would guess it would be around 20-25% now, maybe less. There will be the occasional mass seller (debut Australian Idol single for example) but it's very rare and an average weeks number 1 would have been a number 20 ten years ago.

Not only that but the singles buying market has narrowed completely. It is now pretty much only teenagers and kids, more specificaly teenage girls, who buy singles regularly. This is certainly not U2's market. So when I say "singles are not important" I'm not referring to individual songs popularity as not being important, I'm just saying that the singles market is on such a fast downward slide, I'd be genuinely surprised if they exist at all in 2-3 years. As this is occuring, due to it being a 'dead market', record companies are only sinking money into it if it's a product that can still do good business there. The ones you mention above, Destinys Child, Missy Higgins etc appeal to the singles market, their singles will be heavily promoted. U2's market know the band well. If they hear a couple of songs they like, they'll buy the album. They won't buy singles. They know U2 are better than one song alone.

Hey, Earnie, can you possibly tell us anything about the tour as you seem to have some connections? There are currently rumours flying thick and fast, from radio stations saying U2 will definitely be here in 2006 to someone phoning Principle Management only to be told U2 are not planning on coming here. Can you offer us any information?

Earnie Shavers said:

Single sales and chart position do not mean a thing. They make up such a tiny % of an artists revenue, they are almost not worth putting out anymore. Cancel one concert in the US because of an illness and they've lost more money than they'll make from an Australian #1 single. U2 couldn't care less about Australian chart position.

Slight diversion:
Wouldn't the record companies prefer to break even to cover costs of production and distribution?

Earnie Shavers said:

All of the above is true. I didn't mean that a singles chart position shouldn't be of importance to you or I, that's all about pride in your favourite band and thats great. I just meant that singles sales have dropped off (in Australia at least) at such a staggering rate, that their promotion is barely worth the cost. Just have a look at the space the 'singles section' of your local record store now commands compared to even 5 years ago, let alone 10 years ago. I don't know the current stats, I don't work in the music industry anymore, but as of 2002, the amount of sales you needed to reach #1 was only 50% of what you needed in 2000. That's 2 years difference and downloading has made far more inroads since then. I would guess it would be around 20-25% now, maybe less. There will be the occasional mass seller (debut Australian Idol single for example) but it's very rare and an average weeks number 1 would have been a number 20 ten years ago.

Not only that but the singles buying market has narrowed completely. It is now pretty much only teenagers and kids, more specificaly teenage girls, who buy singles regularly. This is certainly not U2's market. So when I say "singles are not important" I'm not referring to individual songs popularity as not being important, I'm just saying that the singles market is on such a fast downward slide, I'd be genuinely surprised if they exist at all in 2-3 years. As this is occuring, due to it being a 'dead market', record companies are only sinking money into it if it's a product that can still do good business there. The ones you mention above, Destinys Child, Missy Higgins etc appeal to the singles market, their singles will be heavily promoted. U2's market know the band well. If they hear a couple of songs they like, they'll buy the album. They won't buy singles. They know U2 are better than one song alone.

Some good points you raise there mate and I fully agree with your prediction regarding the end of the singles market.

Yet it would be reassuring to know that "teenage girls" were buying U2 singles rather than Missy Higgins. They aren't, but it would be nice if they did.

There was an article in THE AGE a few weeks ago that discussed the ailing singles market and how ringtones sell more than singles now.

It also mentioned how the album is also about to die apparently, and we are on the verge of an era where you don't buy albums but what are essentially EP's, a disc with about 4 or 5 "high quality" songs on them.

Call me a fuddy duddy, but I don't like the whole idea at all, of the extinction of both albums and singles.

I heard CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS again today and I've made up my mind....it's a massive editing job.

Probably about a minute shorter and the ending is very short and abrupt.

There is also the complete exclusion of the little section:

"Time… time
Won’t leave me as I am
But time won’t take the boy out of this man"

Single edit is probably about a minute shorter than the album version. Still sounds great though

intedomine said:

There is also the complete exclusion of the little section:

"Time… time
Won’t leave me as I am
But time won’t take the boy out of this man"

That is my favorite part of the entire song........it just is NOT the same thing with that part MIA.

City Of Blinding Lights radio edit is getting bashed on Nova and I can assure you the edit is no more than 3 minutes.

This reminds me when they edited out "Home.... I don't know where it is, but I know I'm going... Home..." from Walk On. Its really not the same anymore. :(

BigMacPhisto said:

That is my favorite part of the entire song........it just is NOT the same thing with that part MIA.

It actually sounds pretty good without it to be honest. Maybe not better, but it still sounds like a song of the highest quality.

Over at U2.com there is a news item on the home page, Minus 2 Days. In that article it is stated:

And preparing for a tour which is set to last nine months .......

I really wish U2 would make a statement as the fourth leg of this tour is looking more and more like its not going to happen.

beli said:
I really wish U2 would make a statement as the fourth leg of this tour is looking more and more like its not going to happen.

What the 4th leg in America or Europe? :lol: :lol: :sad: :sad:

Like the last tour, I think they have forgotten about us here.
:madspit:

I read somewhere that after the original plans had to be scrapped, the tour was built around the band's families & residencies, particularly the Edge's family, as a way to make a tour even possible. The 1st leg certainly looks like it's scheduled to take advantage of the band members homes in California and New York. Every show is just a short flight to any one of the homes owned by all four band members.

Ali was quoted as saying that they would be taking the children, along with teachers/tutors. In Europe, they again are reasonably close to Ireland, and I assume school will be out in the summer. As for the 3rd leg, once again, it's mostly on the coasts, and even the shows in Atlanta and the few in the midwest only take the band away from their U.S. homes for a few days at a time, with the option of flying to either coast still very easy. In short, the band is doing much less travelling this tour versus Elevation, instead letting the fans travel, as they have so many shows played only in the big cities. The result is some fans seeing lots of shows, not more fans travelling further to see U2.

I think a 4th leg still depends on the Edge's family situation, and they don't want to make another "unofficial" announcement this far in advance. If they can do it, I believe they will have a 4th leg covering South America, Australia, and Asia. Just my opinion.

Bono mentioned something to fans along the lines of

"see you in mexico next year."

A 4th leg with with South America and Australasia might still be planned!

Bizza

Back
Top Bottom