Next Live DVD.............

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CTU2fan said:
Well the problem with ZooTV was that it wasn't ZooTV, it was Zooropa :( I thought it was well-done/well-shot, but the performance was lacking, probably because it was the end of about 2 years of touring. One of the ZooTV (1992) Outside gigs would have been a better choice.

Yup that's right , 2 different tours inside of 1 . 2 shows with each album .........

What we got is a Zooropa live DVD

We do need a Achtung Baby Live dvd , with all the different things , Mirrorballman , WOWY with 2 guitars ( Believe me u can actually hear Bono play on it ) , Bad ...........

i just hope they release U23D on DVD because I am not entirely satified with Chicago and am certainly not satisfied with Milan

gman said:
.......Should be filmed well into the tour, possibly the second leg. I think all too often, they are filmed too early in the tour before the band has sorted their act out, result being, we dont get the best performances. Also, maybe take the best songs from multiple shows rather than one whole concert. Fell free to discuss

I very much agree. While I'm happy to have the Boy tracks from the "Vertigo" DVD, I've read it was overall one of the worst performances of the tour, and it would have been nicer to have those Boy tracks as bonuses to a DVD filmed in Europe. I don't know why they didn't release the London or Croke Park shows they filmed. It's very annoying. Even Slane was so much better than Elevation.

And that 2nd DVD was an insult. I'm embarrassed by the idiots on that DVD acting out; no offense, we all have our silly moments, but this was so MTV and cheesy; it's the film-maker's fault. They could easily have waited a few months and put on a far superior concert on that 2nd disc. Universal is really exploiting fans, and U2 is letting them.

Jdelbove said:
i just hope they release U23D on DVD because I am not entirely satified with Chicago and am certainly not satisfied with Milan

I read that this probably won't happen because U2 has set specifications that the film is only to be played in venues and on technology that supports the 3-D nature of it. So, until our home systems are able to convey that kind of 3-D effect, it won't be released that way. U2 might have a change of heart, though. I get the feeling that they will have cut out all the subtler stuff.

I'd much rather they release all those concert performances they surely have in storage and remaster them, so we get to see U2 when they were excellent from the Joshua Tree, Zoo TV, and Popmart tours.

Newer concerts are welcome, but I'm so sick of watching Pride, Sunday, New Year's, and all the predictable songs, including awful new ones like Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo, All Because of You, etc

CTU2fan said:
Well the problem with ZooTV was that it wasn't ZooTV, it was Zooropa :( I thought it was well-done/well-shot, but the performance was lacking, probably because it was the end of about 2 years of touring. One of the ZooTV (1992) Outside gigs would have been a better choice.

Totally agree. Those Zooropa outfits were awful as were the songs, which took the place of far better ones, except "Lemon" which was awesome.

Nowadays, U2 plays the most conventional boring songs from that period: "The First Time" and "Stay (acoustic)" are so inoffensive and dull. They sound like every other traditional American rock song. They had nice elements on the album, but they've been stripped away to sound like "Wonderwall" or whatever Oasis-type Beatles stereotype. U2 has really lost itself. :(

Just look at how Bono used to react to complaints of setlist changes at around 2:35:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry42AY3efqw

After Pop and Popmart, they've become so concerned with sales of their albums and tickets to the mainstream bellweather fans (who throw a fit when they hear something unfamiliar, even if it's great) that they've dumbed down their albums and their setlists.

Last edited:
just watched that youtube clip wow - Bono "we might loose some of the pop kids along the way but we dont need them" things realy have changed.

Do u think U2 realizes this and have consioulsly become for Pop friendly or do they have no clue things have changed when it comes down to it

Muldfeld said:

Just look at how Bono used to react to complaints of setlist changes at around 2:35:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry42AY3efqw

After Pop and Popmart, they've become so concerned with sales of their albums and tickets to the mainstream bellweather fans (who throw a fit when they hear something unfamiliar, even if it's great) that they've dumbed down their albums and their setlists.

Valid complaints. And while it worked in the arenas, they brought SBS, NYD and later on I will follow in stadiums. And pre-AB stuff was nothing but singles (and a big live song like Bad).

Which was their way of operating on the next tour as well.

Of course, once the oldies started coming back on the last two tours, enter the moaning. :laugh:

Jdelbove said:
just watched that youtube clip wow - Bono "we might loose some of the pop kids along the way but we dont need them" things realy have changed.

Do u think U2 realizes this and have consioulsly become for Pop friendly or do they have no clue things have changed when it comes down to it
I'd love to meet them and challenge them on it. I was looking at "U2 by U2" the other day, and came across a comment by Bono from 2005 or whenever he spoke for the book. Bono says Bowie liked "The Fly", but wanted them to rerecord it, but it was too late. He goes on to say that "it took us 15 years to get it right live. It did go to number 1 in the UK, though." Notice the emphasis on metrics of popularity. How is that a justification? The old U2 didn't care if "The Fly" was dismissed in North America; it was a great song. How is it better live now? I don't get it.

At some point, you can see a shift from U2's artistic direction from wanting to reinvent to now be "the best band in the world" and be ever-present in pop culture -- even if that means the most superficial aspects.

Look at this old interview from 1980; this poor interviewer and her breed has since been replaced by idiot VJs with no taste or depth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPL3dEroZR4

Bono says at the end (around 2:10) about music needing to change.

The ambition to be big was always there, but it was about changing the mainstream on THEIR artistic terms; no longer; they self-consciously pursue hits. Adam and Larry said during the HTDAAB sessions that they hadn't had a number 1 since "Discotheque" and needed one this time.

Nowadays, The Edge says he wishes he'd written Oasis' "Wonderwall", which is a decent, fun song, but rather meaningless and not terribly inventive.

Most illustrative of this change is Bono pumping up "Vertigo" by saying it sounds like an instant classic riff, like a song you've heard before. He said in a Chicago Suntimes or Rollingstone interview that "Vertigo" isn't supposed to sound amazing the first time you hear it but the 300th time you hear it. It's supposed to remind you of the classics. Where's the challenge? U2 is now trying to be The Beatles, and it's not what they're best at.

"Window in the Skies" sounds a bit like stereotypical Beatles and it's been nominated for a Grammy (among a list of shameful nominees, except The Arcade Fire) and it worries me that U2 will take this and their sweep of the Grammys 2 years ago for HTDAAB as a sign they're on the right track, when in fact they're not!

I think they got used to the bigness of the '90s and it points up the band and especially Bono's insecurities of fading away, and that may have led to these compromises.

Bono has hinted a lot about his insecurity. He talked about sometimes he's talking to someone at a party and that person will leave to go to the washroom, and he'll take it like they don't want to speak with him anymore and gets a bit worried or upset. That really speaks to me! I'd love him to actually write about his insecurities. It would be amazing to see a song that talks about this or many songs that allude to this, instead of a bunch of shallow party songs like Elevation and "All Because of You". Aside from a few songs about his father like "Kite" and "Sometimes" and the amazing "Stuck in a Moment", there's just not as much depth, and, when there is lyrically, the music isn't as complex or subtle enough. U2 isn't writing about their pain as much or Bono is trying to hard to communicate obviously, rather than through metaphor.

Last edited:
U2girl said:

Valid complaints. And while it worked in the arenas, they brought SBS, NYD and later on I will follow in stadiums. And pre-AB stuff was nothing but singles (and a big live song like Bad).

Which was their way of operating on the next tour as well.

Of course, once the oldies started coming back on the last two tours, enter the moaning. :laugh:
I don't have a problem with oldies, but I know U2 live only through DVDs and get tired of the same songs. I think it would be great to hear updated versions of great War tracks like "The Drowning Man" and "Like a Song" or UF tracks like "The Unforgettable Fire" and "Promenade", and more tracks from Side 2 of The Joshua Tree, and maybe "Please" instead of "Bullet the Blue Sky", though that is a great one and they do vary that song. To me "Pride" has always sounded stale live, especially the lack of delay pedal.

Eazy-V said:
hang on... 'Beautiful Day' is an "awful new one"?

are you kidding?
I've never liked it, but it's not as bad as "Vertigo" or "All Because of You". It's no "Acrobat" or any single from the late '80s or early '90s.

-Beautiful Day is one of the best songs of the past 10 years, and in my top 5 U2 songs
-Vertigo and ABOY are fun rock songs that are great live, particularly the former
-To compare any of these to a song like Acrobat is a bit naff, because they're different songs that mean different things- particularly when U2 clearly aren't confident playing it live, in that, they haven't.

I don't think you should be so quick to criticize their past two albums as you appear to be doing, because they have produced great, meaningful songs like COBL, Beautiful Day, IALW, OSC, TGBHF (sort of), Kite, Walk On, PoE, OOTS, Miracle Drug... some of which I class as some of their best work.

Back
Top Bottom