next album idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozeeko

Refugee
The next album should be something along the lines of "Joshua Tree", with a timeless haunting sound and atmosphere, but it should be darker...much darker...and have songs dealing with tough subjects that Bono will tackle with courage...and if he was to make a sad song do it honest and cut right to the bone. there shall be no forced epic build-up bombast ala "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own." I don't care what anyone says, but that song rots. "You are the reason why the opera's in me??" Gimme a friggin break. I get more out of a song like "One", where Bono doesn't say everying and leaves things out, creating mystery and rendering the song passionate and desperate. What if the lyrics were "You're the reason why the cocks are in me"- that would totally ruin any point he was trying to make with the emotional task of coming out to a father. So dammit Bono, and the rest of you guys, do what you do best. Write mysterious music that you can, yes, rock out to but also get lost in. When I listen to their new album all i hear is "cha ching! dollars!" and when I close my eyes i just envision Bono's enormous head on stage at the Grammy's saying "WE STILL ARE THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD" Get over yourself, dude. Just make good music and stop caring what other people think, as if you actually need to prove yourself as a worthy artist. You've paid your dues, now stop making (in your words) crap albums, and get inspired...to make great transcending music, not #1 singles or award winning albums, but great albums full of timeless classic songs like you did in the past. By the way, I love U2 and they're my favorite band so I can be hard on them.

well...the point i was trying to make was "One" was an emotional song even more so because it didn't refer to any specific situation. it was left out in the open, and later on i heard that the lyric came from an idea bono had of a son coming out to his father. it was something that wasn't obvious and, for me anyway, it made the tune all the more moving. in "SYCMIOYO" it's obvious the whole time it's about Bono's father, which isn't a bad thing, but the song is delivered in a corny sentimental fashion, and lines like 'the opera's in me' just leave a bad taste in my mouth because it seems so forced, like Bono is deliberately pulling on the heart strings, trying to create something we are all gonna break down over...but in my experience i find more beauty and sadness in songs where the sorrow or whatever you wanna call it is understated and not trying too hard. "Sometimes" to me is no better than an empty 80's power ballad. The line about the "cocks in me" was me joking and fantasizing (not about cocks) but about the lyrics to "One" if it was written for the newest album and not Achtung, and if Bono would've written lyrics that were stupid, not subtle, and sappy...obviously not what i suggested up there, but i was exaggerating to make a point.

I understand and support your point of view,but you have to understand that Bono obviously didn't want to write SYCMIOYO in that mysterious way,as he did One and lots of other stuff.
I think he just wanted to come out and say some things sincerely,and to keep it simple,in order to carry out an universal message,which makes SYCMIOYO not that personal.In that lies the beauty of that song,although it isn't one of my HTDAAb favourites.

ozeeko said:
Just make good music and stop caring what other people think, as if you actually need to prove yourself as a worthy artist. You've paid your dues, now stop making (in your words) crap albums, and get inspired...to make great transcending music, not #1 singles or award winning albums, but great albums full of timeless classic songs like you did in the past. By the way, I love U2 and they're my favorite band so I can be hard on them.

"Oh God, ozeeko.. why didn't I think of that? I'll get right on it mate..

Thank's,

Bono.."

:wink: welcome :cool:

ozeeko said:
What if the lyrics were "You're the reason why the cocks are in me"- that would totally ruin any point he was trying to make with the emotional task of coming out to a father.

ahahahaha

disagree completely. SYCMIOYO is a great song. brings me to tears. sometimes great songs spell out exactly what they want to say.

I like the original intent for the next album:up:

SYCMIOYO is meant to be straight fwd....speaking to his dad.

"One's" beauty is in part due to it's vagueness.

and "the cocks are in me" is a great line.....If you don't mind I will email that one to Weird Al Yankovic:wink:

I don't agree with most of your points and agree with everyone else that SYCMIOYO is meant to a staightforward, come out and say it tune...

Also, I think U2 doesn't care all that much about how big they are. I know most will think I am crazy but I look at this last album not as being uncreative or bland, but a look into the past, present, and future. City of Blinding Lights comes from the vein of Streets, All Because of You is a tribute to The Who. Love and Peace or Else examines the military conflicts today, and Vertigo describes the place of dizzyness and confusion the world is at. Miracle Drug is a reference to the future of medicine, One Step Closer is a look into cancer treatment, and Crumbs From Your Table sounds like an Afican poverty reference to me. I don't look at HTDAAB as an attempt to expand the fan base or to create #1 singles, I look at it as an honest artistic attempt to create a fond view of the past, a confused view of the present, and a hopeful look to the future.

cjboog said:
Also, I think U2 doesn't care all that much about how big they are. I know most will think I am crazy but I look at this last album not as being uncreative or bland, but a look into the past, present, and future. City of Blinding Lights comes from the vein of Streets, All Because of You is a tribute to The Who. Love and Peace or Else examines the military conflicts today, and Vertigo describes the place of dizzyness and confusion the world is at. Miracle Drug is a reference to the future of medicine, One Step Closer is a look into cancer treatment, and Crumbs From Your Table sounds like an Afican poverty reference to me. I don't look at HTDAAB as an attempt to expand the fan base or to create #1 singles, I look at it as an honest artistic attempt to create a fond view of the past, a confused view of the present, and a hopeful look to the future.

:up: The overwhelming theme of HTDAAB, as stated a few times by the bandmembers & (I thought) recognized by many fans, is a reflection on innocence now with age-worn eyes. That was the whole point of incorporating so many Boy songs into the tour. Thematically, ATYCLB was a rejuvenation of youthful optimism & spark after a decade of ironic, sarcastic, moody themes. HTDAAB is the logical next step--the "oh, wait, I'm 45" thing that comes after you realize that the youthful optimism & spark aren't quite the same in this experienced person...and you look back on the original innocence with these experienced eyes. While Edge & Bono have both said that ATYCLB was a collection of great singles, that doesn't necessarily have to mean that they were solely seeking singles--it could just mean that that's the quality of the songs they ended up with. Even if some people may say that the purpose of ATYCLB and HTDAAB was to expand the fan-base through easily popular songs, I still say that their real purpose is found in their themes--and that they achieved those themes very well.

Exacly, just becuase the last two albums had some big singles doesn't mean they didn't achieve the goal of creating two great concept albums. The simple fact that a hit song is part of a theme doesn't take away from that theme and doesn't mean the album was made simply to assure the fact that they are the biggest.

here's the thing...i don't mind if they want to write a simple straightforward album if the songs are gonna be there. i just think the songwriting was severly lacking on this album. their last album i liked a lot, which was in that similar vein of keeping it simple and optimistic, because i responded to the songs and they were well written. last night after starting this thread, i popped in their latest offering hoping that it grew on me and i was wrong..but i just found myself skipping most of the tracks, or fast fowarding them. "vertigo" sounds the same as it did last time i played the album, which was months ago, "miracle drug" is still pretty good but not that great, you all know how i feel about the third song, "love and peace or else" has gotten worse with age (the intro is so long and boring and bono's lyrics just strike me as childish and naive, except the daughters of zion line which is cool), "city of blinding lights"=there's a song there alright but they didn't quite nail it, plus the guitar sound is rather lame, "all because of you" is the only song that grew on me, i used to hate it but now i can enjoy it i guess for its straightforward appeal, "a man and a woman" has the same problem as "city" there are parts that are beautiful but it needed to be reworded, especially the chorus, "crumbs from your table" is still my fave track, it has that atmospheric sound that defines this band and the lyrics flow well with the music, "one step closer" still bores me to tears, "origninal of the species" has the greatest melodic moment on the "first one of your kind" line, but the rest of the song is very Maroon 5 mainstreamy predictable stuff, and the last one "Yahweh" i listened to on the way to work...and i knew i was supposed to be feeling something joyful, then again i was on my way to work which isn't joyous, but the song doesn't hit that emotional chord that it's "supposed" to hit. plus bono sounds like he's throwing his back out on the "yahweh" shouts.....so there you have it. the problem isn't with the theme or intention of making this album, but the actual songs, which all have potential, save "one step closer", but they don't follow through. the songs are really undercooked.

u2 doesn't have to be sarcastic or edgy for me to like them. my fave album "the joshua tree" wasn't that but it succeeded in having excellent songs. i'm not asking them to be pink floyd and have every song go into one another like some concept album.

and u2 does care about being the biggest. Bono said something to the degree of "we were gonna make an abstract whatever album but then we decided to go for the top again and reclaim the title of biggest band in the world." so obviously they do care a little.

origninal of the species" has the greatest melodic moment on the "first one of your kind" line, but the rest of the song is very Maroon 5 mainstreamy predictable stuff,

I know that musical tastes are very subjective (thankfully...!), but where did you get that?
Do you really understand anything about music industry or were you in drugs when you wrote this post? This is non-sense bashing and I do not agree with most of the thigs you said above.

"I know that musical tastes are very subjective (thankfully...!), but where did you get that?
Do you really understand anything about music industry or were you in drugs when you wrote this post? This is non-sense bashing and I do not agree with most of the thigs you said above."

Wow, you just rocked my world up there. I should've known all along i was nonsensically bashing as opposed to sharing my feelings about music (which is a subjective thing) on a message board for a rock band where we're supposed to do just that- share our feelings and opinions. I mean, expressing my disappointment in their latest album...what an unforgivable sin. Did I break one of the ten commandments? Thou shall not dislike anything U2 puts out? There is only one conclusion, though. I must be on drugs. That's it! Because if anyone disagrees with you that must be the answer. And I'm sure next you'll resort to the old "pull your head out of your ass" comeback so popular among message board members that read something they disagree with. Do I understand anything about the music industry? So do I have to know the ins and outs of music industry, which is mostly superficial bullshit anyway, to be a part of this forum? Are you implying that "Original of the Species" was released just to please the masses because it's catchy and will make money? Well, if you were, what a revelation. I never quite realized that U2 had money. I thought they were living hand to mouth existences. Were you off your meds when you responded to my thread? Is "Original of the Species" your soul's salvation? Is it alright I view it from a subjective angle? Seriously, is that ok? Because I am terribly sorry but i hate the damn song. I hate it more because it could've been good. That one line in the song, you know which one, it jumps out at you and it's emotional, everything about it, the sound, the chord changes, everything. And then what? The song deflates...One lame chord, followed by another one, hmm let me guess what the next chord will be, yup i was right, this is U2 though, they can't they won't...oh my Lord they did...4 predictable chords in a row with a predictable vocal melody to match...when will this sequence end..."everywhere you go you shout it" Oh Jesus, another chorus equally shitty? What the fuck is going on here!!!! You get my point? Thank you. Have a wonderful evening.

Wow, you just rocked my world up there. I should've known all along i was nonsensically bashing as opposed to sharing my feelings about music (which is a subjective thing) on a message board for a rock band where we're supposed to do just that- share our feelings and opinions. I mean, expressing my disappointment in their latest album...what an unforgivable sin. Did I break one of the ten commandments? Thou shall not dislike anything U2 puts out? There is only one conclusion, though. I must be on drugs. That's it! Because if anyone disagrees with you that must be the answer. And I'm sure next you'll resort to the old "pull your head out of your ass" comeback so popular among message board members that read something they disagree with. Do I understand anything about the music industry? So do I have to know the ins and outs of music industry, which is mostly superficial bullshit anyway, to be a part of this forum? Are you implying that "Original of the Species" was released just to please the masses because it's catchy and will make money? Well, if you were, what a revelation. I never quite realized that U2 had money. I thought they were living hand to mouth existences. Were you off your meds when you responded to my thread? Is "Original of the Species" your soul's salvation? Is it alright I view it from a subjective angle? Seriously, is that ok? Because I am terribly sorry but i hate the damn song. I hate it more because it could've been good. That one line in the song, you know which one, it jumps out at you and it's emotional, everything about it, the sound, the chord changes, everything. And then what? The song deflates...One lame chord, followed by another one, hmm let me guess what the next chord will be, yup i was right, this is U2 though, they can't they won't...oh my Lord they did...4 predictable chords in a row with a predictable vocal melody to match...when will this sequence end..."everywhere you go you shout it" Oh Jesus, another chorus equally shitty? What the fuck is going on here!!!! You get my point? Thank you. Have a wonderful evening.

Wow! Congratulations! You must be the next winner to a Best Actor for an Oscar! I must say that I'm really impressed... Wow!

I just want to ask you a thing... Have you ever listen tunes..., well, have you heard about The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Oasis...?
Huh, guess not. If so, you wouldn't have expressed yourself like that and you wouldn't have said that OOTS sounds like... Maroon5! ahahahah

But I've got the solution for your problem: go to a record store and buy some albums from those bands I mentioned above (or even others too). Ok, I will let you buy the Live Maroon5 album too, only for you not to be that sad, and starting to act like a crybaby.

The next step for you is trying to find the similarities between "She will be loved" and "Original of the species" or even if you want to... between "This love" and "A man and a woman"... Huh, I guess that this last one will be easier for you, I understand.

I will be waiting for your next post. In fact it did leave me curious.
Have a nice day:wave:

Aygo, you have left me pondering one question. And that is: "Have I ever listen tunes?" Okay, regarding OOTS, the one part of the song that I like (I am rather sick of talking about this) does sound Beatlesque, and let me repeat: It's the one part of the song that I like. The rest, and I don't care what they were trying to go for, what influence of what band, whatever, however remniscient it is of something, I just don't like the song. That's basically all it comes down to with me. If I don't like a song, I don't like a song. You can't play fucking chopsticks on a piano and then tell me "hey it's art, what do you mean you don't like it, haven't you heard of Mozart?" Another thing, don't get all condescending with me, asking me if I've ever heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones...and I'm sorry but don't try to lump Oasis in there with them. Seriously, rise above the propaganda. Truth is, back to that subjectivity thing, I prefer the Stones over the Beatles. I have almost everything the Stones have put out, while I own only a couple Beatles CD's (The White Album, Revolver). But I have heard the rest. Anyway, if not liking this OOTS tune leaves you with the impression that I've been cut out of the loop on rock and roll history, then you are sadly mistaken. I would love to list all the bands I listen to but that would take too much time and you'd probably be drawing blanks. So just be satisfied with OOTS, leave it on repeat in your stereo, and look forward to the next Oasis album. Oh, and as for the Maroon 5 similarity, I was merely pointing to OOTS's mediocrity and predictability. And now that you mention it..."A man and a woman" and "This Love" do sound a like. Thanks. :)

Aygo, you have left me pondering one question. And that is: "Have I ever listen tunes?" Okay, regarding OOTS, the one part of the song that I like (I am rather sick of talking about this) does sound Beatlesque, and let me repeat: It's the one part of the song that I like. The rest, and I don't care what they were trying to go for, what influence of what band, whatever, however remniscient it is of something, I just don't like the song. That's basically all it comes down to with me. If I don't like a song, I don't like a song. You can't play fucking chopsticks on a piano and then tell me "hey it's art, what do you mean you don't like it, haven't you heard of Mozart?" Another thing, don't get all condescending with me, asking me if I've ever heard of The Beatles, Rolling Stones...and I'm sorry but don't try to lump Oasis in there with them. Seriously, rise above the propaganda. Truth is, back to that subjectivity thing, I prefer the Stones over the Beatles. I have almost everything the Stones have put out, while I own only a couple Beatles CD's (The White Album, Revolver). But I have heard the rest. Anyway, if not liking this OOTS tune leaves you with the impression that I've been cut out of the loop on rock and roll history, then you are sadly mistaken. I would love to list all the bands I listen to but that would take too much time and you'd probably be drawing blanks. So just be satisfied with OOTS, leave it on repeat in your stereo, and look forward to the next Oasis album. Oh, and as for the Maroon 5 similarity, I was merely pointing to OOTS's mediocrity and predictability. And now that you mention it..."A man and a woman" and "This Love" do sound a like. Thanks.

Well, I ain't even gonna comment. It's no worthy, I see that you're a short-view person, so I'm not going to keep on discuss that. So, I will respect your point of view, despite you know obviously that I do not agree with a word you have said in this thread.:eyebrow:

Alrighty then. Respect for one's opinon is all i ask for. No one should be made a pariah for not liking an individual song. I would love to keep arguing but you don't wish to so I guess I'll stop also. I wouldn't have even started if you didn't ask me if I was on drugs to begin with. And I'm not a narrowminded person when it comes to music. I'll give anything a chance. I'm listening to OOTS right now in fact...and guess what...I still don't like it! Haha...maybe one day...we'll see...

About the being on drugs thing... of course I was being sarcastic, and trying to put the humour on... But it seems you didn't take it that way, as you don't take OOTS (well, and the rest of the album) so. But as I said I won't even try to push the discussion because it'll be useless.
Keep on discussing the thread, please:wink:

"Do you really understand anything about music industry or were you in drugs when you wrote this post? This is non-sense bashing and I do not agree with most of the thigs you said above." - Aygo

I guess I missed the obvious humor. - Me

"Do you really understand anything about music industry or were you in drugs when you wrote this post? This is non-sense bashing and I do not agree with most of the thigs you said above." - Aygo

I guess I missed the obvious humor. - Me

Don't come and tell me that I'm the wrong one here. It's a bit obvious that you're keeping on trying to make a personal discussion in this thread. It is really out of question for me, forget about it, mate. I'm not in it.
I'll keep on saying, please subscribers, keep on commenting the thread, thanks.:wink:

Hey Aygo, you started with me, man. I didn't seek you out for "personal discussion." And you are wrong, on everything you say, because what you have to say is nothing. You make generalizations with nothing behind them. And when I respond to your witticisms, you cop out and ignore the context of the conversation. You...are...WROOOOONG. Wrong, motherfuckah!!! Reply at your own risk...unless it's out of the question. The choice is yours...choose wisely or poorly.

Hey Aygo, you started with me, man. I didn't seek you out for "personal discussion." And you are wrong, on everything you say, because what you have to say is nothing. You make generalizations with nothing behind them. And when I respond to your witticisms, you cop out and ignore the context of the conversation. You...are...WROOOOONG. Wrong, motherfuckah!!! Reply at your own risk...unless it's out of the question. The choice is yours...choose wisely or poorly.

Are you really sure of what you are saying? I'm sure that I always stated here something with meaning and never out of context. Mate, don't even want to try to compete with me, that's not what I'm here for. Well, I can't tell the same about you.
That's why everytime I read a post of yours I laugh a lot, because I can't really find some connection between your personal attacks and what has been said in the ulterior post.
Look at the thread you just started in EYKIW and this one: are you trying to convince me that the only proposal they are there for is not bashing (not to mention the "hidden" senteces in the other thread about people with opinions similar to my one) but to say that you didn't like this or that.

Oh, another important topic: if you want to play this game with me, that is ok, I don't mind, really - despite I really have got more interesting things to discuss - but next time, try to show some more respect with the other users.
I'm sorry about saying this (perhaps moderators will be a bit mad with me because I'm telling something that they could have been telling) but it really had to be said.

It's a shame that what an interesting thread could be developped in something that I can't even explain what it is! Because its theme was interesting (other way, I wouldn't have started to post here...).

Both of you like U2!

See, there's something common that you guys share! :wink:

Love one another! Love one another! - Oasis

Back
Top Bottom