New York- the song, the irony, the legacy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2 Lulu

The Fly
that other place, I know I'm not a hopeless case~
I love New York. The song by U2. It was fabulous live. Unfortunately, I think it will have to be shelved for the next leg because of what happened. Maybe not, though. They may continue it as yet another tribute to the dead. People see and feel things differently. For example, if I had written "In a Little While" and found out someone I knew had passed away while listening to 'slow down my beating heart,' I would have found it hard to listen to again, much less sing. But Bono looked at it as a loving tribute. What do you think he'll do with New York now? What do each of you think?

There have been some ironies. Someone, I think it was Sicy, used the quote about religious and political fanatics in the stew, and 'that's where I lost you.' I also thought about other parts of it, like 'voices on the cell phone, voices from home, voices down the stairwell' because it reminded me of the phone calls the doomed people in the towers made when they realized they were hit, and some made calls from cell phones in stairwells while fleeing. The passengers on the planes got their voices on the cell phone through too. Again, there is the part about the police and the airport. Can you think of more? I would be interested to hear all your opinions on this and other ironies, plus how you think U2 will handle this song now. Do some of you think "Peace on Earth" will replace it in the setlist?

What will eventually become of New York, the song, on future tours, assuming with hope there will be future tours? Please discuss!

------------------
***Just a U2 lovin' girl!***

I guarantee you bono will sing New York.

And i will be in New york when he sings it to me!!!!
biggrin.gif

Good topic U2 Lulu. I myself have been thinking about that. Although I haven't seen U2 live this time, I know, from lots of reports, that it's a powerful live song. I can't help thinking about the comparisons between its lyrics and the cruel reality we all watched happening in New York, in front of our own eyes. I think they will keep the song in the setlist, maybe they will change something in their performance.
Also I think Peace on Earth will have its live premiere, maybe it will be like a demand from their fans in US.

Originally posted by U2 Lulu:
I also thought about other parts of it, like 'voices on the cell phone, voices from home, voices down the stairwell' because it reminded me of the phone calls the doomed people in the towers made when they realized they were hit, and some made calls from cell phones in stairwells while fleeing. The passengers on the planes got their voices on the cell phone through too. Again, there is the part about the police and the airport.

Oh my gosh, yes. I didn't even think of that. Wow. I've always loved the song. I've listened to it just once since the tragedy. I got choked up, as I did during some of the other songs on the record. It's odd how two of the most-maligned songs on the record, Peace on Earth and New York, are now taking on new significance and getting a huge amount of attention.

------------------
I'm in the waiting room
I can't see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
When the rest of us choke

In New York I lost it all, to you and your vices-
I hit an icebery in my life, yeah I'm still afloat, lose your balance lose your wife, in the queue for the lifeboat, gotta put the women and children first-

Sounds like escaping from a disaster. The more you look into these things, the more ironic they become. Talk about irony, U2 was supposed to be leaving the irony behind with this album, and it seems it has been the most actually ironic in so many ways. Weird.

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

It doesnt make sense for the band to stop playing NY - it gives them more reason to play.

U2 are an emotion band, and they help people through pain, confusion, love...whatever with the music. Their music.

It will be played. IMHO.

I hope U2 doesn't stop playing it. I think it's song that discribes the BEST & Worst of my city. It means much more now.

I was thinking that they should put it out as single as well as POE...& give some of the money to the relief...Just my Thought, though....

Considering that Bono, Adam & Larry both have places here. I am wondering if they will do anything like that. Or give some of the money they make on this leg to the diaster relief....Guess we will wait & see.

i got something to say

the line "religious nuts, political fanatics in the stew"... when Bono sings it live, i'm pretty sure he says next "happily not like me and you" and not what it says in the lyrics

I've been tossing this around in my mind as well--I've decided that it will definately be played. If anything Bono will add something to the performance to enhance the emotional attachments. There's really no reason why it should be tossed.

I've also been wondering if POE will show up... I think it would be a great move on U2's part. I heard this song on the radio the other day, and it literally brought tears to my eyes--it could really add to the live show, while speaking directly to everything that has been taking place.

------------------
"If I am close to the music, and you are close to the music, we are close to each other." -Bono

Thanks for your responses. There is so much irony in that song, it's weird. I like it, but I just don't know about playing it. I don't think any of those songs on the other thread should have taken off the radio! Lots of songs are now ironic and emotional.

------------------
***Just a U2 lovin' girl!***

When Bono sang this song on tour, he played it up as a metaphor for vice and extravagance...I'm sure he'll have a much different "take" on it now.

I just wish Bono had sung it in tune and not in such a whiny voice, because it's being played all the time now, and it's annoying the hell out of me. So it must be even worse for people who don't like U2.

I think they should still play NY, but it's never been my favorite, even live..
My neighbor came running over because he had never heard the song and he just heard it and HATED IT, said it is terrible that they are playing it now, and he hates the song. I ofcourse defended the issue.

I like it, I liked it better after I heard it live. I am in love with the low, sweet, mumbly way he sings at the beginning. I don't know if they'll play it after what happened. If they don't,they don't have to make a big deal out of shelving or retiring it, they should just not play it, like they drop any other song from the setlist. Bono loves NY, I'm sure they'll do what' right, and they will have the wisdom and the heart to make that desicion. I trust them.

Back
Top Bottom