New York Live (The Song)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thecrackedjack5

The Fly
Anyone else think the version from Boston is just kickass. The album version didn't make me take much notice, and version from farmclub wasn't much better. However, this version is just amazing because of Edges guitar and Bono's yababadah thing he does at the end. It's one of my favorite U2 songs right now. Amazing what they can do live.

I GREATLY prefer the live versions of this song, as well...but they still can't cover up the sinfully bad lyrics and bland, lifeless production of the song (the drum track to open the song, even live, was just that: a drum track being played by nobody but someone in the sound booth hitting "PLAY"). It definitely came alive in the live setting, so to speak...but it was still sort of manufactured and, like I said, the lyrics were still so far beyond cringe-worthy that it was almost impossible to imagine. Ugh. Sorry for being negative...I've been making at least semi-angry posts all day; I gots to relax... :wink: Still, the song is silly as hell.

If you shout... said:
I GREATLY prefer the live versions of this song, as well...but they still can't cover up the sinfully bad lyrics and bland, lifeless production of the song (the drum track to open the song, even live, was just that: a drum track being played by nobody but someone in the sound booth hitting "PLAY"). It definitely came alive in the live setting, so to speak...but it was still sort of manufactured and, like I said, the lyrics were still so far beyond cringe-worthy that it was almost impossible to imagine. Ugh. Sorry for being negative...I've been making at least semi-angry posts all day; I gots to relax... :wink: Still, the song is silly as hell.

Oh geez, your posts-The lyrics for this song are awesome, I dont know what your complaining about?

This is all I have to say....

"Irish, Italians/Jews and Hispanics/Religious nuts/Political fanatics"

:barf: :barf: :barf:

:wink:

If you shout... said:
This is all I have to say....

"Irish, Italians/Jews and Hispanics/Religious nuts/Political fanatics"

:barf: :barf: :barf:

:wink:

Believe me - this sums up an outsider's impressions of NYC quite well. When I first went there as a naive 18 yr old in '92 I was quite amazed at the nuts walking the streets and of course it is very multicultural. I don't mean that all in a negative way - NYC is my favourite city.

As for the song performed live the guitar crescendo at the end is magnificent. A great song and quite different to others in their repertoire. The album version does pale in comparison.

Just imagine how songs off the Bomb are going to take on a new life live. I think Edge will sound 10x wilder on the live Love & Peace - which offers plenty of opportunities for a Bullet the Blue Sky type guitar treatment. SYCMIOYO already sounds better on e.g. SNL with a more prominent guitar. And also, rhythmn section wise, Vertigo off SNL had a great rolling drum part that didn't come across on the original recording. Add to this the fact that we will probably be getting top quality concert "bootlegs" released via I-tunes and I doubt many of us will be listening the album version of the songs very much in about 5 months time:wink:

I really like the version they did on Letterman shortly after Sept. 11th. Obviously, it had a little more emotional impact actually singing that song in New York at that time. Plus, Bono totally changed the lyrics around. I especially liked the line "even New Jersey loves New York..."!

I never cared for this song until hearing it live from the floor outside tip of the heart on the first leg of the tour! I thought the bass was going to make my heart explode. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom