New York, Live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thelaj

Refugee
This song doesn't get much love around here, but it is easily one of my favourite songs of the past decade - especially in its live incarnation.

I recall listening intently to the Live from Boston rendition for many years, until I discovered bootlegs.

My current favourite is Miami 2nd December 2001, but most of the post 9/11 versions (complete with altered lyrics) are worth a spin.

What is with the pipe intro on the pre-9/11 versions? It sounds like the melody from "Baby I Love You" by Jennifer Lopez & R Kelly.

What is the best live performance of New York?

The studio version is amazing :) But I think it would be amazing if they played it next tour, imagine Bono sing "New Yooooooooooooooooooooooooork" with his voice he got now :)

This is a side of U2 I love - it's really all about dynamics, performance, and some serious studio editing. I don't think it's as good as BTBS or Exit or to some extent Acrobat, but I consider it related to those dark jams.

It was also the kind of song that was missing on Bomb. I hope we get another one on the new record.

I really like this track, it's definitely one of my favourite things on ATYCLB, the band sound massive on the choruses and I really enjoy Bono's quiet confessions, his commentary on life in the city is very knowing, very well observed.

I like the fact that its quite long too, it's like taking a little detour with the band for a while, it's a nice side step, taking in the sights and sounds of the city, exploring the good and bad, one final excursion before ending with the tranquility of Grace.

Love all the Titanic references too.

Wow - have to admit that the All That You Can't . . . album isn't the most played of my collection - it just never really grabbed me back then (dont know if it has to do with my circumstances at the time of its release when I was knee deep in the whirling dervish that is 12 month old twin boys!!!) but songs like this just did nothing for me. As ever, it's the live interpretation of some songs that really hooks me (have a similar relationship with Yahweh) and this one is gorgeous - thanks for posting :runstofindcdandrelistenwithfreshears: :up:

One of the better songs of this decade musically speaking. Bono's lyrics totally destroy the song though. With better lyrics it could have been the gem of Elevation and ATYCLB.

Have to disagree completely with your comments about the lyrics. If you've ever lived in NYC, you can really appreciate the lyrics; they're basically a description of some of the street-life you see, hear, and feel in the big city.

In my opinion, the best live version is when they played it at Madison Square Garden in the summer of 2001. That concert is floating around as a bootleg and it's amazing!

Have to disagree completely with your comments about the lyrics. If you've ever lived in NYC, you can really appreciate the lyrics; they're basically a description of some of the street-life you see, hear, and feel in the big city.

In my opinion, the best live version is when they played it at Madison Square Garden in the summer of 2001. That concert is floating around as a bootleg and it's amazing!

To me it isn't a very interesting topic for a band like U2. :shrug:

The lyrics are great in concept, clunky in execution, but it has its moments.

Musically, it's genius. One of Larry's most exciting performances in ages, great dynamics, rocking guitar. It's a great song IMO, and severely underrated.

Wow, hadn't seen that Letterman spot. Thanks for digging that up, Thelaj.

Nice double shot there - better than your average U2 TV appearance.

Count me in. I love this tune, and some very perceptive comments by Ahittle and DevilsShoes above.

In structure (i.e. probably evolving from a loose jam and being more about dynamics than craft) it's somewhat similar to "Exit" on The Joshua Tree, but obviously the lyric is completely different. I appreciate the lyrics a lot, and I think they're some of the best Bono has come up with over the past decade.

I've always loved this song... the intro really pulled me in, then playing it so loud, my heart gets thumping! It was strange, the timing of the album, with the 9/11 event, and this song was so poignant in Chicago's United Center concert that fall... so powerful with the curtains and shadows, etc. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom