New Window in the Skies video!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the boy who cried wolf actually saw his first wolf. :wink:

Ladera Heights said:
most original video in the last decade.

Not quite: http://youtube.com/watch?v=5miI5Jq8wQ4

It's a pretty cool video, but not mind-blowing or anything. I like the message that Ladera mentioned in another post---that it ties in with "oh can't you see what our love has done" in that it's showing performers & sort of symbolizes why they do what they do----inspiring each other and us fans, etc. That part's pretty cool.

The African children bit is in there because 1) you could say that they're symbolic of the next generation of performers, and 2) you can interpret WITS as being about Africa and the successes of the One Campaign in 2005-2006 ("all debts are removed," "can't you see what our love has done"--we've removed the debts; "what it's doing to me"--the effect Bono's love for Africa has on him). I don't think having the kids at the end is that big of a deal.

What I dislike about it is that I have such a strong feeling that this has been done before. It's far from original! And I'm not talking about the Johnny Cas video. I've seen a good half dozen commercials in the last few years using the same exact technique---using old footage of performers to lip-sync & say something. While I can't expect U2 to create a brand new medium with every video, I also hope that what they do make doesn't leave me feeling like I've just watched a MasterCard commercial. :huh:

One other thing, as a sidenote--- In a way, the video opens the door for some of the same criticism that the band got after Rattle & Hum. Of course, they're on a much stronger level now to count themselves among the greats than they were back then....but I think we may see some of the same opinions from detractors of U2 that we saw back then. To state that you have a song that cuts across generations and then to flat-out make that so in the video.....very smart move, it'll make that feeling stick....but also very bold and sure to attract criticism.

Good, enjoyable video :up:, but not earth-shattering.

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

The kids at the end, though... Yeah, don't let B into the editing room again, guys. :wink:

The song is obviously connected in some way "Oh cant you see what our love has done" Meaning what love has done to transform millions of lives and our love which is sometimes inspired by music.

So that is the connection i see from the song. Thats what the song is about and the clip shows it.

trivia - about African kids...

it's a shot from the movie "Constant Gardner" from last year....

it's one of the best movies ever for me and I encourage everyone to see it....NOW!!!

Jeffo17 said:

The song is obviously connected in some way "Oh cant you see what our love has done" Meaning what love has done to transform millions of lives and our love which is sometimes inspired by music.

So that is the connection i see from the song. Thats what the song is about and the clip shows it.

I wasn't saying I had an issue with it. I get the connection between the song and showing the children. :)

The closest cousin to this video may be the posthumous "Little Wing" video by Stevie Ray Vaughan from 1990 or 1991.

I'm also quite surprised that the band are Zappa fans - who would have thought they would practically open one of their videos with him!!!

Wooow! This is even worse than what I expected!
What a bad video, probably one of U2's worse!
The intention of the the concept is good, I understand it, but the idea is very very poor...
I'd rather have a live performance as official video à la COBL.:| :huh:

Interesting enough People in YT are lovin it

It may not be the most original , but's it's quite somethin for u2

Anyway I'm sure it will get lots of play , and people discussing it , I wonder who exactly got this idea

i think it's a very interesting video- i really like it! my favorite part is probably seeing the members of U2 among the crowd, since we never see them like that - it's cool to get a glimpse of them being fans just like us. i also like the shots of people kissing/hugging at concerts.

i give it a big :up:

Marko said:

it's one of the best movies ever for me and I encourage everyone to see it....NOW!!!

I knew I had seen before :wink:

Directed by great director , brazilian Meirelles , starrring and Ralph Fiennes Rachel Weisz

And boys - spoiler - There are some :faint: breathtaking shots of Rachel ....

Definitely worth watching

I didn't like this when I saw it last night. It's starting to grow on me a little. I could easily see this turning into another R&H backlash though. :shrug:

I need to watch this more times. Definitely something different again - as with OOTS - not sure I'm ready to say it's great.

I don't mind the African kids at the end because the song's theme can be related to Bono's activism. Loved the flowers at the end.

I like the idea of various past and present artists together (and even more so the band being part of the crowd and fans of Music), the only real downside for me was, as far as I can tell, Beatles missing.

Last edited:
U2democrat said:
1-Some people are never satisfied

2-I think the video is effing awesome

3-Is anyone else amazed this actually broke FIRST from U2.com???

1. Amen

2. Yesssssssss! I got weepy. :nerd:

3. Amen once again!

thetitans2k said:
I liked the idea. It seems they could have put a little more effort towards it.

That's what I'm thinking too. The video comes across to me as being a bit rough, maybe even a little rushed. And I really don't like it that there are shots of the band in the audience, but that's just me.

Some good bands / performers in the video though.

Marko said:

Totally off topic but YES that movie was amazing.

As for the video I'm not sure how I feel. It's OK. Doesn't blow me away, but doesn't let me down, mostly because the song let me down already so there's not much room for downward movement concerning WITS.

2861U2 said:
I suppose its clever, and the lip-synching is fun to watch, but I wish the video was more powerful/had more to do with what the song is about.

LOL

And what that might be, exactly?

I think the video perfectly fits the song and explains it perectly. Think about the lyric. Think about what music/love has done. In that context the African kids make perfect sense also.

I really was disappointed with the song when it first came out.

Now I absolutely love it. All Because of this video.

That means it's one powerful video, if it's not theirs they better hire the person fast.

:up:

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
I didn't like this when I saw it last night. It's starting to grow on me a little. I could easily see this turning into another R&H backlash though. :shrug:

I'd agree with the backlash thing if they just showcased artists like The Beatles, Elvis, BB King, etc... like they did back in '88.

Here they show artists from every area and era of music, which invalidated the "R&H backlash" theory in my opinion.

I didn't catch Coldplay in there though, so I smiled.

gabrielvox said:

LOL

And what that might be, exactly?

I think the video perfectly fits the song and explains it perectly. Think about the lyric. Think about what music/love has done. In that context the African kids make perfect sense also.

I really was disappointed with the song when it first came out.

Now I absolutely ove it. All Because of this video.

That means it's one powerful video, if it's not theirs they better hire the person fast.

:up:

I agree after you see the clip you just get more knowledge about what the bands thoughts were on the song... Puts it all together for us and i have to say i like WITS even more for it.

I also noticed Adam also appears in 2:07-8 , Am I wrong ?

Edit.:

Bono at 2:13 singing

Adam 2:21 and 23

Bono 2:28 and Adam also I think

Last edited:
Actually I think there is a parallel to Rattle N Hum, especially against the backdrop of what I recently read in U2byU2.

I don't think the band is particularly apologetic about RnH, nor should they be. I thought it was brilliant then and still do.

I think they anticipated reactions like my first one to WITS "shit can they stick their heads any further up the Beatles'/classic rock/pop asses?!" and they are meeting it head on, saying, yep, this is classic, and here's why. I can't think of a more perfect statement.

Do you guys think that the beatles were intentionally left out, because it would make the rip-off too obvious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom