New Window in the Skies video!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think people are missing the point of the video. Its not only about legends - its about why performers who do what they do and how U2 are fans of them.

Wow, I love it! :applaud: Very different from their usual stuff.

Was that Flavor Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaav :lol:

and Morrissey... :drool:

Ladera Heights said:
I think people are missing the point of the video. Its not only about legends - its about why performers who do what they do and how U2 are fans of them.

Yep. U2 can tell that WITS is going to be a classic, and that it's one of their best songs. This video reflects that. They're really going for the brass ring with this one. "Window in the Skies might be our best song," Bono has said.

But they're also paying homage to all the great artists that went before them. "It's a universal song, from one generation to the next," Bono has said. U2 is showing that they're fans of their musical heroes, and they're even standing in the crowd at the end of the video, to really drive home the point. I'm sure the band didn't want to get skewered in the press again for being fans of their heroes, like they did with Rattle & Hum, and wanted to spell it out clearly.

The fields of blooming red roses at the end symbolizes the cyclical nature of love -- you reap what you sow... "oh can't you see / what love has done."

Bono also said that love is what dismantles an atomic bomb. Here, we see the atomic bomb's mushroom cloud shrinking back into itself, in reverse video, as rock music (i.e., love) blasts from the stage.

A totally mesmserizing, spellbinding video. Wow, wow, wow.

LyricalDrug said:

Bono also said that love is what dismantles an atomic bomb. Here, we see the atomic bomb's mushroom cloud shrinking back into itself, in reverse video, as rock music (i.e., love) blasts from the stage.

A totally mesmserizing, spellbinding video. Wow, wow, wow.

My sentiments exactly. This video made me cry tonight. It reminded me why I love music.

On a somewhat related note, I have to say I really hated WITS the first few times I heard it, with its Beatlesian landscapes. Now I can't stop playing it and the melody has been on repeat in my head for a week. I think its the best song I've ever heard by anyone ever. Its so uplifting.

Screwtape2 said:

:up: How can you show these legends then throw in Mary J. Blige, Kanye, The White Stripes and so on?

Do they think younger people will know who any of these people are minus the modern day acts?

Think of it this way. Throughout the video there are literally red roots growing through people in different scenes. The idea is that music is what connects the past to the present and music is the 'window' to the future. Music is also what the present artists and all people can use as the window to look to their past for inspiration and ideas. Someday these younger artists that you mentioned could be what Sinatra, Hendrix and Harrison are to us today. And at the very end of the video, as the African children are running, those red roots that were added to the video were growing through their arms, symbolising that they are the connect to the future, a window.

In general, the song, 'Window in the Skies' is about U2's love for all things they are devoted to- their music, their past, present and future inspirations. There is a very good chance that future generations will be able to identify who the earlier musicians were in this video are, and if they don't know, then so what. U2's music and videos are what they are. They made it the way they wanted to, and if someone wants to find out who these people are, then they can do that. Seriously, would you want to see each of their names in a caption under their face in every frame?

Last edited:
I loved it. I personally loved the footage of the African children running. I thought the symbolism was very beautiful.

AussieU2fanman said:
Awsome video, that editing to make it lip-synched would have been a major headfuck to do and they pulled it off pretty damn well!

I'm ok with the fact that they didn't over-edit the original footage to make them lipsynch the exact lyrics to 'window'. The way I see it, it reflects the fact that U2/Bono have taken inspiration from these artists past works and have woven them into their song. If anything, this shows that U2 have borrowed from the past, rather than give a giant pat on their own backs by completely changing the video to look like they dug these people up from their graves just to sing a U2 song.

When this song was written and the video was conceptualized, I imagine that the core idea is that 'see what love has done to me' was meant to connect the love that all of the musicians have and what they've created, then to take U2's love of music and what it has created in the humanitarian works they are involved in. i.e. the African children footage. In other words, the cycle of inspiration can always continue and the 'window', as U2 sees it, is always left open, even after death.

Last edited:
I think that was...weird and cool at the same time.
At first I didn't see it as a U2 video, because is just tooo original, but I don't know, I think I had another vision about WITS... but I do really hope this is an alternative video or something like that, I want to see U2 performing this, I mean, see bold Bono actually singing this :)
-FCA

I thought it was awesome... gave me chills seeing all those legends and icons, I already loved the song and now idk this video just made it seem more epic

I think it's fantastic. The idea is great and it somehow fits really well with the song, even though it sort of seems at first that it's random. Love it!

I'm really impressed with U2's videos as of late. I thought OOTS was brilliant, but this one is just as good in a very different way.

Oh wow, I did not know that there was a video out yet, and I expected another performance video, not an "all star" video. But how cool is that! This is such a fantastic video. Artistically, it might be one of the greatest videos that ever has been made. I love the editing, it must have been a hell of a job. It's cool and with some irony, and U2, this great band, paying respect to so many artists of yesterday and today is just an awsome idea. I so love this concept! There are some really pretty cool shots in there and you have to watch the video a couple of times to get all of it.
Good job!!! :up:
It took me some time to find all four of them in the end, and I really love the idea of placing the guys in the audience!
Still I wonder if there will be another video, since they filmed something in Australia.

Looks to me like U2's reasoning behind Rattle & Hum condensed into four minutes. I wonder if the world/media at large will have a similar reaction too?

WITS isn't my favourite song, but I think I like this clip. Might have to give a few more watches. :) The Elvis and Sinatra shots were very good. :up:

Wow, I'm really speechless. I read this thread in the time it took my PC to download the thing and didn't know what to expect. But I really, really love it. And I can't explain why. It just works on a gut level. :drool:

**my updates to the current list**

Zappa
Billie Holiday
Simon & Garfunkel
Roy Orbison
Bjork (**I thought PJ Harvey at first**)
**Ella Fitzgerald**
Marley
Talking Head foot.
**Willie Dixon's hand playing the WITS bassline**
Louis Armstrong
**Led Zep/Bonham kickdrum**
**RUNDMC adidas sneaker**
**Bowie**
**?mystery bassist?**
Lou Reed
Frank
**?bass player in studio?**
Kanye(**w/ John Legend in background**)
Mick Jones
Nat King Cole
**?Clash or Pistols drummer?**
Keith Moon
The Rolling Stones
**Nina Simone**
Four Tops? **?Jackie Wilson?**
Marvin Gaye
**?Ozzy Headbanging?**
Temptations
Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
Elvis Costello
Ramones
Hendrix
Keith Moon/Who
**?drummer with tree in background?**
Nirvana
The Clash
Johnny Cash
Iggy Pop
Radiohead
MJ Blige
Janes Addiction
Elvis
**closeup of Fender guitar**?Sonic Youth?**
Al Green? **?unknown?**
Morrissey/The Smiths
Beck
Beyonce/Destiny's Child
Elton John
**?The Police with Sting Jumping?**
**?Rappers/Wu-Tang?**
The Corrs
Beck
Commodores
White Stripes
Sly & The Family Stone
**Nirvana/Cobain stagediving**
Charles Mingus?
**?Black Sabbath/Geezer Butler playing bass?**
Arcade Fire? **?guy hitting cymbals sidestage with view of audience?** (I think it is Arcade Fire)
**Keef Richards/Rolling Stones**(Not the Beatles!!!)
Hendrix
The Pretenders
Alicia Keys
Ray Charles
Buddy Guy? (**I agree**)
The Clash
Led Zeppelin/John Bonham drumming
**?Smokey Robinson?**
Keith Moon
Bowie/Ziggy Stardust
Billie Holiday
Smokey Robinson
Elvis
Led Zeppelin/Robert Plant
Old Guy? **?Henry Mancini playing piano?**
**Ronnie Spector/The Ronnettes**
Led Zeppelin/John Bonham
MC5
Queen
**?Muddy Waters?**
Jackie Wilson
Beastie Boys?
**?Parliment guy with high leg kick?**
Talking Heads/David Byrne
Public Enemy
MC5
Public Enemy
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jay Z
Patti Smith
**?bearded guy strumming acoustic guitar?**
Stevie Wonder
Nirvana
**?closeup of Frank Zappa(wearing a hot pink shirt) playing Telecaster?**
**?closeup of bass players hand?**
**?Madonna's new adoptive family?**
Sinatra

Artists curiously absent:

REM*#
Springsteen*
Neil Young*
The Beatles*
Van Morrison*
Dylan*
Peter Gabriel*
Prince*
Jimmy Page*
The other 3 members of The Who #
Green Day(they were in the last U2 video)
Pearl Jam*
Tom Waits*
Metallica*
Strokes*
Coldplay #
Stone Roses*(Achtung Baby was hugely influenced by the Manchester sound)
Any electronic artists: NIN*/Depeche*/Kraftwerk*
Any Pop acts like ABBA*# or Bee Gees #(Bono has been extensively interviews for Docus on both groups)
Clapton*
BB King*
Queen*
Leadbelly*

* = Artists that are known to be a pain in the ass giving video clearance
# = Groups U2 may not even want in their videos

u2fp

U2FanPeter said:

LOL. I thought you meant the Beastie Boys Adam Horovitz before going through the video artist by artist.

Vladimir :wink:

U2FanPeter said:
Artists curiously absent:

+

Lou Reed
Leonhard Cohen
Tony Bennett
Axel Rose
Michael Huetchence
Madonna
Paul Mecca

.... there are soooo many

- :(
but Jay Z?????

Jim said:
that is PJ harvey at the start not Bjork isn't it?

Bjork is known to be extremely difficult with allowing outside use of her image. PJH would be slightly easier.

I'm somewhat surprised Nirvana is in the video. Not because the reasons why U2 wanted them or the group/estate allowing use of the video. I thought that Nirvana publically(circa 1992) refused to work/associate themselves with U2 in any capacity?

Well this Clip has some good and has some bad... It looks kinda rushed... I like the whole concept but im sure it could of been done much better....

But i think this clip will get Played A whole lot on Music Channels. Hopefully the clip will be thrashed to death... hehe Love the song i think the clip does suit the song very well.

Somone said it was thier best song in 6 years and we get a clip that wont relate to u2..... Well people still will know its U2 its not like they need to see bono's face.

Last edited:
A part of me was hoping U2 would be on stage rocking out the last part of the song but I'm glad they were in the crowd, would have been a tad pretentious otherwise :D

The editing pace was weird and where the hell were Thin Lizzy? or surprises like the Manic Street preachers XD

Anyone think they left Green day out for a reason? :wink:

Did need more Beatles too!

Im sure they didnt leave anyone out intentionally.

I think it's a great video, one of the most creative ones they have done over the last couple of years for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom