New version of Stay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
U2 Grant 'Stay' To 'Moulin Rouge' Composer

Bono has teamed with Scottish composer Craig Armstrong to record a new version of the U2 song "Stay (Faraway, So Close!)."

The remake of "Stay," which appeared in its original form on 1993's Zooropa, will be featured on Armstrong's second album, As If to Nothing, a spokesperson for the composer said Wednesday.

Due April 2 on Massive Attack's Melankolic Records, As If to Nothing also features collaborations with former Lemonheads singer Evan Dando on the ballad "Wake up in New York," drum'n'bass producer Photek on "Hymn 2," and fellow Scotland natives and guitar experimentalists Mogwai on "Miracle."

That'll be interesting. I love the song, but I've always thought the intro could be better than the original version (songwriting expert that I am
biggrin.gif
). I wonder what inspired this decision, though.

Originally posted by Dustybot:
I seem to remember a few weeks ago it was mentioned that this version would be the Bono and Edge acoustic version heard on the tour with string accompaniment from Craig Armstrong. If that's true, this could be, as the kids say these days, quite ass-kicking.

Bring on the strings!!

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
I love the song, but I've always thought the intro could be better than the original version (songwriting expert that I am
biggrin.gif
).

Ah - I too always thought there is something that seemed a little off about that original "Stay" opening. It seems like an acoustic riff being played electrically. And it gets a little overwhelmed by the bass line right in the beginning.
I rather favor the "extended" or "soundtrack" version of Stay that opens with the drums and staticky guitar noise.
For those who were tossing it around, this may be the U2 single that is redeveloped to accompany the new "Best of" collection. The timing seems right, as it will probably be a year before this is recorded?

I seem to remember a few weeks ago it was mentioned that this version would be the Bono and Edge acoustic version heard on the tour with string accompaniment from Craig Armstrong. If that's true, this could be, as the kids say these days, quite ass-kicking.

Back
Top Bottom