New Version of "A Celebration" maybe on 3rd single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know, now that I look at this, the disappearance of A Celebration doesn't make a whole lot of sense regardless of what argument you use.

The facts;
- A Celebration was released as a single in March 1982. It was U2's highest charting song at the time, hitting #47 on the UK chart (Gloria made #55). Yes, by the time the War Tour began, New Year's Day had charted better, but A Celebration was still U2's second-most popular single on the charts.
- Its first live appearance was 18 March 1982 and that was its only appearance on the October Tour proper. It was then performed sporadically throughout 1982 at festivals and on TV shows.
- A Celebration became a live regular on the Pre-War Tour in December 1982. I am pretty sure it appeared in every show.
- It was then performed at least five times at the start of the War Tour. It was almost certainly performed a sixth time on 27 February 1983 in Aberdeen, but no setlist exists for that concert. Whatever the case, it was played on 26 and 28 February and 1, 2, 3 March. It failed to appear on 4 March and was never played again.

So really, this begs a few questions. The band managed to remember it during the two months between the Pre-War and War Tours, so the story Edge forgot it doesn't look all too plausible - though stranger things have happened.

However, if they were tired of it, they would not have carried it over to the War Tour at all, and the same goes for if they felt it failed to work. Maybe they decided it didn't fit in the War Tour set, and that could be a valid point if it had been cut after a couple of shows. Like A Song was cut after just one (or maybe two, seeing we don't know what was played at Aberdeen). However, it seems pretty odd that they'd play it five/six times, especially after they managed to organise their chosen War Tour set. 26 February and 1 March were pretty different, but 1 March and 3 April (the end of the tour) are extremely similar. The set they played on 1 March was the pattern for the rest of the leg, and A Celebration was played three times.

Then it vanished, despite the fact it fit into the set. U2's second-most popular single at the time was cut from the set after only approximately twenty live performances. I find this to be extremely odd.

The thought of Edge just "forgetting" how to play a song makes me laugh :laugh: I can see it now...

Edge: Oh shite! I just forgot how to play A Celebration!
Bono: You what? Here, have the lyrics. *ever so helpful*
Edge: No, Bono, I forgot how to PLAY -
Adam: Then listen to the bloody record and figure it out again.
Edge: I don't have a copy of our own record! Do you?
Adam: How could y... well no, I don't.
Bono: I HAVE THE LYRICS!!! :hyper:
Edge: :sigh: I guess we'll just have to take it off the setlist then, 'cause I randomly forgot how to play a song I wrote myself and have played numerous times, and all I've got to remind me are...the lyrics.
Larry: You're all idiots.

I have a much too vivid imagination :D really though you don't just "forget" how to play songs as a guitarist, unless it's really been a long time or you just learned it....and if you wrote the song yourself, the chances of that are very, very slim...especially if you've recorded it, rehearsed it, and played it live. Sorry Axver, it's just not plausible, though it is odd that they suddenly dropped it off the setlist...

Anyway, a new version of A Celebration would be GREAT!

AtomicBono said:

Edge: :sigh: I guess we'll just have to take it off the setlist then, 'cause I randomly forgot how to play a song I wrote myself and have played numerous times, and all I've got to remind me are...the lyrics.

For some reason this made me laugh :laugh:

AtomicBono said:
The thought of Edge just "forgetting" how to play a song makes me laugh :laugh: I can see it now...

Change a few words and that might be a recent conversation regarding a certain obscure CD ...

AtomicBono said:

:laugh:

Axver said:

Change a few words and that might be a recent conversation regarding a certain obscure CD ...

Actually...that's quite true :lol: poor Edge, always forgetting everything...I thought Bono was the one that forgot stuff... oh well I love 'em both anyway :hug:

This "forgot-how-to-play" theory is a bunch of BS. Anyone that has played guitar can attest to that. And we aren't talking about Stairway to Heaven over here. It's one the THE SIMPLEST SONGS U2 has ever written. The verse is 2 notes, for fuck's sake!

Oh yeah, hard copy theory doesn't work either. There were a lot of soundboard recordings that U2 had access to at the time, of concerts where AC was played. One of them was even broadcast live on the BBC in '83.

How many casual U2 fans knew or know of A Celebration?

It was probably dropped because it was a minor single release but never appeared on a U2 album...ever.

A re-release of the single is very doubtful IMHO.

(By the way, the original version IS currently available CD. It's on Now That's What I Call Music: 1982 and is available from HMV in England)

Wow, just read through this whole thread.

First, the title of the thread. A re-recording of A Celebration would be awesome, but I think unlikely. There has also been a rumor they re-recorded 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. This seems more plausible to me because the original version has a very muddy mix and they still play this song live.

Regarding A Celebration being played live. It was dropped to make room for more War songs. They were doing heavy touring in the U.S. around the time it was dropped and A Celebration was not released as a single in the U.S. Its that simple.

The story about Edge forgetting the chords is true. However, it was not during the War tour. I cant remember for sure but it was either towards the end of The Unforgettable Fire tour or during the Joshua Tree tour. They considered playing the song again for a special occasion but Edge could not remember the chords. To my knowledge they have not thought of attempting it again.

Certainly Edge could figure it out again. But I dont think they have any interest in playing the song again live. It was never a hit for them and is on none of their albums obviously. Now if they re-released it as a B side, it might be a possibility to hear live again. Even then though I would doubdt it. Would be interesting to hear a new live interpretation of it though.

Last edited:
For those that laugh at the "Edge forgot it" stories, here is a little story which is FACT.

In 1984 U2 toured Australia just as Unforgettable Fire was being released. On that tour, Bono confessed on Sydney radio (I heard it) that Edge's assistant went into a record store to buy him a copy of War & Boy because they had spent so much time rehearsing Unforgettable Fire that Edge forgotton a lot of the chords on the old tracks. The DJ laughed..and Bono said "no, seriously!".

chocky said:
For those that laugh at the "Edge forgot it" stories, here is a little story which is FACT.

In 1984 U2 toured Australia just as Unforgettable Fire was being released. On that tour, Bono confessed on Sydney radio (I heard it) that Edge's assistant went into a record store to buy him a copy of War & Boy because they had spent so much time rehearsing Unforgettable Fire that Edge forgotton a lot of the chords on the old tracks. The DJ laughed..and Bono said "no, seriously!".

Yep, I have a radio interview from New Zealand where Bono mentions a similar thing - he says that Edge totally forgot every single old song and that New Zealand was a great country in which to learn them again.

If they do re-release this song, I think that they should re-do the video. Leave everything the way it is, just re-shoot it all. Make the guys wear their old 80's hair-dos and clothes.

Bring back the Mullett

Blue Room, thanks for the post; good information and insight. However, I have one correction to offer ...

Blue Room said:
Regarding A Celebration being played live. It was dropped to make room for more War songs. They were doing heavy touring in the U.S. around the time it was dropped and A Celebration was not released as a single in the U.S. Its that simple.

A Celebration was dropped in early March 1983, at the start of the first leg of the War Tour, which was predominantly in England (3 March, the last concert, was in Liverpool). At the time, A Celebration was their second-most successful single in the UK. I could understand it if they had dropped the song between the first and second legs, but before the first leg was even a quarter finished seems weird. It also did not make room for any War songs - it was in the encore and no new songs came in then.

In fact, I think that might be the most plausible explanation: A Celebration was in the encore with Party Girl, 11 O'clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, and 40. Perhaps U2 felt a five-song-long encore was simply too long. It's interesting to note that A Celebration was cut while its b-side is still played today.

Re-doing the video would be cool, but I'd love the thought of being able to see a good quality version of the original on the next Best Of DVD (maybe on the extras list like the last one). I can't find it anywhere on the net, but isn't the A Celebration video the one with all the wonderful, kitschy 'special' effects? It's been awhile, but I would really love to see it again. Maybe they could re-do it with them now, but keep those wonderful explosions or whatever they were.

p.s. - if anyone knows where I can see that vid again, please let me know...thanks

macphisto23 said:
Axver, they fricken dropped it becasue they didnt want to play it anymore. Just drop it

Sigh. Shows what you know about setlist history and pattern.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, U2 get stuck in setlist patterns. It's interesting to note that just as A Celebration came to be involved in a pattern, it vanished. At this point, it would seem the two most viable reasons would be that they wanted to play more War material (even though A Celebration was their second-most successful single ever at the time!) and that their encores were too long.

Axver said:

Sigh. Shows what you know about setlist history and pattern.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, U2 get stuck in setlist patterns. It's interesting to note that just as A Celebration came to be involved in a pattern, it vanished. At this point, it would seem the two most viable reasons would be that they wanted to play more War material (even though A Celebration was their second-most successful single ever at the time!) and that their encores were too long.

Sigh, when did the U.S. tour start??? April 1983. When was A Celebration dropped?? March 1983. As I said, A Celebration was not even released in the U.S.!! THAT is your answer! Not sure where you are getting your information but it was dropped because it was NOT a single in the U.S.!!! It had NOTHING to do with setlist patterns.

I'm also amazed at those of you that cant believe Edge forgot the chords. Its a documented fact by the band themselves that he has done this with many songs. There is also an interview where Bono talks about him forgetting A Celebration. I believe it was during the Unforgettable Fire tour but like I said previously it could have been The Joshua Tree.

I just cant believe some of you are arguing about this.

Tip Top Prince said:
Axver thinks he knows everything about U2. It's quite boring really.....

I'm not questioning his knowledge. I certainly dont know everything about U2 live. However, this one is so obvious I'm amazed it is being argued as I mentioned previously. Axver is right about Edge forgetting chords and in particular A Celebration. Some of you seem to be belittling him and a few others about that. Its absolutely true.

Its how you say"THE EDGE Forgot how to play a celebration". You need to say "during a concert without notice, the edge forgot how to play A Celebration.. Yes that is very likeley for The Edge to forget a song with no previous notice or rehearsal. But when you are playing the same setlist, day in and day out you dont forget a song like that and drop it. If The Edge did forget how to play the song during the concert, he would go back that night and relearn the song,or just refresh his memory, as it is already in him, its as simple as that.

That song is classic. Criminally underrated.

Never been on CD i dont think, so if it was on the 3rd single, it wouldnt surprise me that much and considering that the third single release is meant to coincide with the 25th anniversary i think it would be fitting

Blue Room said:

Sigh, when did the U.S. tour start??? April 1983. When was A Celebration dropped?? March 1983. As I said, A Celebration was not even released in the U.S.!! THAT is your answer! Not sure where you are getting your information but it was dropped because it was NOT a single in the U.S.!!! It had NOTHING to do with setlist patterns.

Hey, Blue Room, I wasn't attacking or idea or anything :) I was just frustrated by the aggravated tone used by that other poster.

I'm not really sure about what you have suggested, though. Sure, it has merit, but A Celebration was dropped after the 3 March gig, before the first (UK) leg of War even reached a quarter of completion. It was a single in the UK and at the time, successful by their standards. The US leg began in late April. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that the theory you have proposed would suggest it would be dropped after UK shows (or at least later during the UK leg rather than right at the beginning). Do you see where I am coming from?

Tip Top Prince: I don't know what problem you have with me or why, whenever you make comments on my posts, it is always rude in some manner. Either explain what issue you have with me (PM/e-mail would probably be better than on the public forum) or just shut up. I find your superior attitude towards me to be both uncalled-for and unwelcome.

Last edited:
intedomine said:
That song is classic. Criminally underrated.

Never been on CD i dont think, so if it was on the 3rd single, it wouldnt surprise me that much and considering that the third single release is meant to coincide with the 25th anniversary i think it would be fitting

A couple of years ago I was given a present of 'The Songs Of 1982', the year I was born. At first I wasnt too impressed, then noticed that 'A Celebration'was on there! Fantastic!

Anyway, just thought Id post this, rather than get involved in the debate! I lost track of it on page two anyway :huh: :wink:

Back
Top Bottom