New U2 interviews: Schedules and discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was an excellent interview, well worth listening to all of it. Its also a bit annoying because the majority of interviews with him which are shorter tend to be the usual soundbites and occasionally politicking whereas I think if people had the time to listen to one like that, I think it would change (some people's) minds about him as it was all about the music.

Re the SOE and Apple thing, he gave out mixed messages. At one point i thought it sounded like the album and tech were both done, but another comment made it sound like they were both a bit away yet.

So I believe I heard in the Fanning interview Bono said Invisible will be on the physical release. I assume as part of the Bonus disc?

So I believe I heard in the Fanning interview Bono said Invisible will be on the physical release. I assume as part of the Bonus disc?

Maybe Invisible will be exactly that, a hidden invisible track, as it doesn't appear on any of the track lists, yet Bono says it will be on the physical release.

The Fanning interview is great.

Isn't it. Credit to Fanning for not fawning over Bono and challenging him. Not many interviewers would do that. Playing him The Fly and Zoo Station was a great move. Breaking through Bono's stock anecdotal style is getting harder and harder these days, but Fanning achieved it, in flashes at least.

:up:

Personally, I don't really see the point in playing U2 songs of certain eras to Bono because I'm sure he knows and remembers these songs and he made it quite clear in that interview that the band does what they want and didn't want to make an experimental record with SOI (you can argue about the term "experimental" anyway).

If you want to talk about your current release, and thank God he's enthusiastic about the new record, I'm sure one of the last things you want to hear is the interviewer playing an old song and asking: Why doesn't the band sound like that on the new record?

Personally, I found it to be unnecessary, almost embarrassing. Apart from that, yes, great interview and also good to get through to some real emotions beyond the usual Bonoisms.

Very good interview with Fanning but can't help but notice every song on the album was discussed sans Sleep like a Baby? Was subject matter too taboo for discussion...just seems weird not to discuss the best song on the album.(imo of course)

Very good interview with Fanning but can't help but notice every song on the album was discussed sans Sleep like a Baby? Was subject matter too taboo for discussion...just seems weird not to discuss the best song on the album.(imo of course)

The interview was on at prime mass going time in Ireland, 10am-12noon on Sunday!!

Personally, I don't really see the point in playing U2 songs of certain eras to Bono because I'm sure he knows and remembers these songs and he made it quite clear in that interview that the band does what they want and didn't want to make an experimental record with SOI (you can argue about the term "experimental" anyway).

If you want to talk about your current release, and thank God he's enthusiastic about the new record, I'm sure one of the last things you want to hear is the interviewer playing an old song and asking: Why doesn't the band sound like that on the new record?

Personally, I found it to be unnecessary, almost embarrassing. Apart from that, yes, great interview and also good to get through to some real emotions beyond the usual Bonoisms.

I'm guessing part of the reason why Fanning played Zoo Station and The Fly was because Bono talked about U2 being on the "edge of irrelevance" during the promotion of the AB boxset/FTSD documentary three years ago. That struck me as a rallying cry - can U2 pull another album of the stature of AB out of the hat? Evidently, they couldn't (or they didn't attempt to). Fanning should have asked "Do you think U2 are still on the edge of irrelevance? Or does plonking your new album on half a billion people courtesy of Apple make you relevant again? Eh, Boner? What say you?" :wink:

Is it me or does bono just repeat himself in every interview. Ive heard the same stories in every interview ?

^That's true, but we notice that most of all because we listen to so many interviews, normally people only listen to one interview and I'm sure they don't notice Bono repeating himself. But he has a thing for his special phrases :wink:

Btw, just tuned into that Portland interview, it's great, a lot of new and old U2 music played, too.

I'm just guessing here. They'll play NA and Europe once (2 legs) before releasing SOE. They'll want to get the most out of these songs from SOI to see what works live. Add in Invisible and the 2 new tracks that we haven't heard yet. There is 14 new songs they'll need to choose from just to start the tour.
By this time next year, we could be seeing SOE. At this point, we would be seeing the tour expand to the south of the equator and then 2nd NA and Europe. The staples from SOI would be fairly set by then.
Again, just guessing.

I say AB-Zooropa style 2 year gap between SOI and SOE. The Apple promo took away from the music, as will *that* cover. They won't be pulling the rug under SOI just before the tour starts and drop SOE.

In the interview Bono also said he went and checked fan sites to see the reaction to the album. I wonder if he got into forums as well. Scary thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom