New U2 albums spark fury!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure, and the single CD at 9.99 is a good deal, which is what the non-hardcore fan would buy. In my opinion there is no doubt the 2CD set is aimed at the hardcore fan, bear in mind some hardcore fans already have already shelled out for the albums (in multiple formats for those us who were around when they were on vinyl) so it does seem to be taking advantage somewhat to me.

This gets back to my open question about whether U2 understand what a "hardcore fan" looks like. They really might not have any frame of reference for this. They probably consider themselves hardcore fans of certain groups, but they are probably not even in the same ballpark as we are (as far as chasing down every track, following news/discussion daily).

Really ? they shared this with you ?

It's pretty much standard throughout the industry. Sure some of the bigger acts such as U2 have small amounts of control when it comes to box sets, special releases, etc... but most of it's controlled by labels and retailers.

It's pretty much standard throughout the industry. Sure some of the bigger acts such as U2 have small amounts of control when it comes to box sets, special releases, etc... but most of it's controlled by labels and retailers.

Well, if you say so. I'm sure the likes of Pearl Jam, NIN, Metallica etc have a much greater than "almost 0" percent say in the pricing.

I haven't seen anything conclusive to say U2 has almost 0 or almost 100 % say, moot point really, the 2CD product is still priced significantly higher than comparable product.

This gets back to my open question about whether U2 understand what a "hardcore fan" looks like.

I believe they do, the seemed to complain enough about them to have them disenfranchised for the Boston DVD filming !

Exactly. It was ok to want to be the biggest band in the world when they were untalented nobodies from Dublin. Understandably (or not), their feelings didn't change when they actually became the biggest band in the world.

"You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the bad guy."

Perhaps a better quote is:

"They want their money back if you're alive at 33."

Sounds like even die-hards feel U2 has "lived" too long.

"Best Of's" and re-releases are inherently obvious in their intentions. One is to encompass a collection of big hit songs - with perhaps a little something new thrown in for the fans that may already own most of the songs. The other is just a remastering of material previously released using arguably inferior technology. Rather than just do a re-release, though, the artist may toss in a few goodies so that fans feel they are getting more for their $$. U2 have done both and done them in a very traditional manner. In fact, some re-releases don't even have as much as what U2 have added.

While I agree that some re-releases aren't quite worth the money (like the deluxe "War" re-release that has many remixes on its bonus disc), many are very strong and truly offer a better sound quality (like the JT re-release).

But what's best about all of these is that you don't have to buy them. :applaud:

While I agree that some re-releases aren't quite worth the money (like the deluxe "War" re-release that has many remixes on its bonus disc), many are very strong and truly offer a better sound quality (like the JT re-release).

Oh doctor...I don't agree with the first part of your statement. The remixes were what was out during that period, so basically they're just trying to package what was put out during that time period. I have a lot of those mixes on vinyl...:ohmy:...so I know that they're legit. Sure, there might be some cool demos or outtakes, but those are probably being held back for a future project.

But what's best about all of these is that you don't have to buy them. :applaud:

This I agree with you 100%. Quit bitching about what U2 releases...they've been around for forever and a day now. Idealism will fade after 30...even though Bono still holds onto some. U2 is the 'people's' band now, they're not a 'cult' band anymore. Haven't been one since Live Aid, so Best Ofs and remastered editions are fair game now. Doesn't mean they're any less a great band or money hungry, it means they've hung around and are still relevant enough to put out such releases.

Sure, there might be some cool demos or outtakes, but those are probably being held back for a future project.
Or, the band just doesn't want them released. Do people realize that outside of the 4 boys, U2 is not a democracy? They release what they want, not what we want. Isn't that what some of you are whinging about?

Queue- Article from fans perspective- cant afford to pay for new albums
Queue- Numerous posts - its all about the money
Queue- numerous posts- U2 should give us all free merchandise/tickets since we have been fans for so long
Reality- its always about the money, push that aside, and enjoy the music- if you cant afford a friggin album- then get off the internet and get a job!

Queue- Article from fans perspective- cant afford to pay for new albums
Queue- Numerous posts - its all about the money
Queue- numerous posts- U2 should give us all free merchandise/tickets since we have been fans for so long
Reality- its always about the money, push that aside, and enjoy the music- if you cant afford a friggin album- then get off the internet and get a job!

Cue: the answer to everything is "if you don't like it don't buy it". OK, where's the nearest Coldplay/Radiohead/REM/Bruce thread, I've got some words of wisdom which should end all discussion......

I have personally been waiting years for these! If some idiot thinks it's not worth it, good for him then fine, he is under no obligation to buy it. But please don't try to make that decision for U2, who own the rights and can do as they please with the music; or for the millions of people who actually want this product. I just don't understand why it's a bad thing to try to meet a demand that obviously exists. Because U2 might actualy make money selling a product? These people need to seriously grow up and figure out how the world works. The whole thing reeks of jelousy and the attitude that "if anyone has more money than me, they obviously have too much". Again I say grow up!

The most annoying thing about this is the fact that a few whiners have been made into a "news" story with the sole purpose of stirring up controversy and selling copies. If anyone should be ashamed here it is certainly not U2.

The End.

agree ...very well said !

where are the interviews of fans that have been waiting a long time for remasters of their favorate U2 albums .

I don't understand what else anyone thinks could go on the War bonus disk? Live tracks will most likely be taken care of with the UABRS deluxe remaster. As can be seen with Angels they probably don't have any demos that could be cleaned up enough to release. That shouldn't really be surprising since everyone on this board should remember the story of them writing "40" in the last 40 minutes they had in the studio because they needed one more song for the album and had nothing they could finish in time. So what else could have gone on this bonus disc really?

Dana

I don't understand what else anyone thinks could go on the War bonus disk? Live tracks will most likely be taken care of with the UABRS deluxe remaster. As can be seen with Angels they probably don't have any demos that could be cleaned up enough to release. That shouldn't really be surprising since everyone on this board should remember the story of them writing "40" in the last 40 minutes they had in the studio because they needed one more song for the album and had nothing they could finish in time. So what else could have gone on this bonus disc really?

Dana

Well, they could have made it a bonus DVD instead (with no impact to cost, in fact DVDs are often cheaper than CDs these days) with some of the TV/Pro-Shot footage from the War tour like US Festival or Loreley.

Well, they could have made it a bonus DVD instead (with no impact to cost, in fact DVDs are often cheaper than CDs these days) with some of the TV/Pro-Shot footage from the War tour like US Festival or Loreley.

Realistically, there is no need to do that since they are re-releasing UABRS very soon. In the eyes of the band, why release more live footage when they are already planning on it anyway. Might as well give people stuff they don't have (even if it is remixes). Just because YOU would prefer more live video does not mean everyone would or that it would be right for these releases.

Realistically, there is no need to do that since they are re-releasing UABRS very soon. In the eyes of the band, why release more live footage when they are already planning on it anyway. Might as well give people stuff they don't have (even if it is remixes). Just because YOU would prefer more live video does not mean everyone would or that it would be right for these releases.

Well, there is already a precedent for releasing multiple shows from the same tour.

I'd be willing to bet more people would want the live shows than the remixes.

I'd also be willing to bet most people would buy a full-show Red Rocks even if they got shorter Festival-set US festival and Loreley released officially with the War remaster.

If you'd rather have remixes, great, you got remixes !

Do these idiots have no self control? I never knew it was impossible to read about these latest releases and think, "Nah, this new release doesn't interest me, I think I'll skip it."

Personally, I probably won't buy these remasters, simply because I'm hard of hearing and will not notice the difference. Plus I'm not hardcore enough to have much interest in the bonus material. I'm skipping these and saving up to replace my ailing 5th gen iPod - knowing that a matter of weeks after I buy one, Apple will release the latest version with a few new added perks. I guess it's like these remastered/bonus editions, you either buy them now or wait for something more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom