New U2 Album in 2012?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was very optimistic early last year. I would still contend that they were gearing for that, but Spiderman killed it off late, and they killed while in South Africa. They seemed to focus quickly and move fast for a period, and I had a very random coincidental conversation (in February from memory) that strongly suggested Universal had a big release suddenly/out of the blue drop in to May, and they needed to move fast, looking for short term help in a specific area with a campaign profile that sounded 'very U2', as opposed to, say, GaGa (who released close to then - and would be why they needed extra help). Following that later, there was nothing else there at that time, so that only added to my suspicions that it was U2, and they withdrew it late. I reckon we were within an inch of possibly getting (probably) the DM album last year, and Spiderman either killed their ability to nail it down, or their ability to have the time to release and promote it properly (or both).

We’re working on three albums at the moment and we haven’t decided what order we’re going to put them out

that comment really makes me wonder if things are almost ready to go??

i can dream can't i? :lol:

dublin said:
With his recent comments on "irrelevance" I feel that Bono is more interested in impressing the one person in the audience who isn't smiling vs. the 70,000 who are cheering and singing every word. Of course, I don't know what truly motivates them, it is just an outside perception.

I think the only voice the band should be listening to is their own. They've learned from great producers, heard all the criticism they can take and ultimately I feel their instincts have proven to be more reliable than their perception of their audience's needs

that comment really makes me wonder if things are almost ready to go??

i can dream can't i? :lol:

That was interesting, they haven't said that bit about the order of release before...nice to see (the allegedly non-existant) SOA still around.

That said...I thought the last newsbit from Adam late last year was they're sticking with Danger Mouse. So is it DM or SOA that gets their attention first ? :shrug:

i thought SOA was the Danger Mouse project?? can't remember where i read that though...

i thought SOA was the Danger Mouse project?? can't remember where i read that though...

I think SOA was still Lanois/Eno as it was a part of the NLOTH sessions and they just divided all the songs into 2 albums. But maybe you heard something else about them bringing those songs to another producer. I don't know.

If anything, it's just confirmation that they've done exactly fuck all since the start of last year.

I wouldn't say that .... it looks like they've switched from Songs of Ascent to THE Songs of Ascent. I bet a lot of discussion and hard work went into that decision. :wink:

I wouldn't say that .... it looks like they've switched from Songs of Ascent to THE Songs of Ascent. I bet a lot of discussion and hard work went into that decision. :wink:

Larry: Forget about it Bono, we're not putting out Songs of Ascent!

Bono: Oh come on! Wait! How about...
guys
guys
hear me out here
how about we
now just stay with me here
how about we call it
guys
how about we call it: THE songs of ascent!!!???

Larry: ... I'm in.

JamietheEdgefan said:
Larry: Forget about it Bono, we're not putting out Songs of Ascent!

Bono: Oh come on! Wait! How about...
guys
guys
hear me out here
how about we
now just stay with me here
how about we call it
guys
how about we call it: THE songs of ascent!!!???

Larry: ... I'm in.

:larry: That's not experimental at all. Fuck yes!

this thread needs more comparisons to Radiohead

guys
guys

HEY! what are the odds Radiohead releases whatever followup to King of Limbs before the new U2 album?

I feel like there are just a big pile of songs floating around, and each band member's enterpretation is different. Bono probably has them organized into 3 different albums in his mind, because that's how he sees them (and, let's be honest, is a little more involved in the creative process). Adam, on the other hand, probably just sees a bunch of unfinished songs and he's not sure which ones will end up on the next album.

I think if it were up to Bono we'd get 3 different albums. I think if it were up to Bono, the followup to NLOTH would've already been released.

As much as I enjoy the torture of the lead-up, I'd much prefer a surprise digital release with physical formats to follow coupled with a live youtube (U2ube?) streaming performance of the entire new record and a few unreleased songs from the other "2" albums, just to tease the remaining material.

But then, that would be a forward-thinking move :doh:

As much as I enjoy the torture of the lead-up, I'd much prefer a surprise digital release with physical formats to follow coupled with a live youtube (U2ube?) streaming performance of the entire new record and a few unreleased songs from the other "2" albums, just to tease the remaining material.

This would be amazing. In reality, however, we'll probably just get a few interviews about how they're working on eighty-three albums and a film score, all of which will totally be ready for 2013 unless they get lost in the music again. (And, if we're really lucky: beach clips. Sweet, sweet beach clips. :drool:)

Despite all of the above, I will admit that the fact that they still remember Songs of Ascent is pretty exciting. :hyper:

Add me to the group that believes the next U2 album will drop after the end of the current Mayan calendar. Come on, everyone, we've all been through this phase a few times before and despite the hyperbole that will inevitably spring up, exciting quotes, etc... we're still a fair way off...
Having said that, does anyone else find it ridiculous that it takes 18 months to record 11 songs? I can't think of any other band that takes anywhere near that long, I just don't get it. (And you can't use the whole "but they recorded 30-40 songs for that album" explanation either, because WHERE are all these other songs? We haven't got more than a couple of true B-sides in many years)

Fair to say that the longer it takes the worse the outcome. On that basis, a release this year would be very promising. If they draw it out, change producers, shelve songs, change direction etc... again then I'll be very disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom