New U2 Album For Free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im sure some of you have heard that radiohead are putting their new album online for free , or you can pay what you like if you wish.

i was wondering if u2 did the same with their new album would you pay? and if so how much?

really? Radiohead are releasing their new album on the internet for free you say?? I haven't heard that... :wink:

[/sarcasm]

If U2 were to do the same I would be fully intending to buy the physical CD as well so I probably wouldn't pay too much for the digital tracks if they were released first...

Maybe $5 :shrug:

First of all yes the downloads are "free" but once the album does come out and the CD will cost.

I don't see U2 doing a download only, plus they really don't have much of a choice since they actually have a record deal and RH don't.

xaviMF22 said:
^^

and U2 are a commercially successful band so there would be no point in this :shrug:

Radiohead does just fine. They can release an album as uncommercial as Kid A and have it reach #1.

LemonMelon said:

Radiohead does just fine. They can release an album as uncommercial as Kid A and have it reach #1.

There have been a lot of #1 albums that haven't been succesful sales wise in the long run.

Not that numbers mean shit to me, but just claiming an album went #1 doesn't mean much.

I honestly don't know how comercially successful Radiohead are, but it seems like you wouldn't have an issue getting a record deal that you like if you were...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

There have been a lot of #1 albums that haven't been succesful sales wise in the long run.

Not that numbers mean shit to me, but just claiming an album went #1 doesn't mean much.

Well played, but it did go platinum quite easily. :wink: (most likely due to the Zooropa syndrome; an album that's successful simply because the band's name is on it)

OK Computer sold over 3 million worldwide, and Hail To The Thief also did very well.

i can see U2 maybe mucking around with this Radiohead/many other bands-esque way of doing things but whereas Radiohead say it's up to you I hardly imagine U2 of all bands would opt for such a relaxed, generous approach...:wink:

If I downloaded an album in a situation such as this I would probably pay between five and ten dollars. I figure that would be a decent amount considering they wouldn't have to cover the costs involved with the manufacture, packaging and physical distribution of an actual cd.

That amount actually goes for all artists. If a band I really loved (and wasn't huge) did it I might even pay a bit more.

The way U2 has let Interscope rip fans off in the last few years, I seriously doubt they will opt for such a strategy. They're into the money nowadays. I'm not sure I'd be able to resist myself, but they've abandonedd their anti-commercial ideals. Even their art has been compromised, though I hope the next album will be different.

LemonMelon said:

And wouldn't you know that Bono has criticized Radiohead's recent artistic approach for not being mainstream enough -- for not making typical enough pop songs.

Radiohead deserves a world of credit because they may have reached number 1, but their record sales aren't anywhere near U2's albums and they could easily be so much greater if they dumbed it down and kept making "Creep". It wouldn't be artistically recognized, but they'd rake in way more profit. That's why I love them -- because they do what they love and not for major profit.

Muldfeld said:

And wouldn't you know that Bono has criticized Radiohead's recent artistic approach for not being mainstream enough -- for not making typical enough pop songs.

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about...:|

Bono wasn't criticizing Radiohead for not being mainstream enough or criticizing their aritistic endeavours, he was speaking aloud about his frustrations that bands like Radiohead avoid embracing the audience... he said wouldn't it be amazing to hear more of Thom Yorke's voice on the radio or TV.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Bono wasn't criticizing Radiohead for not being mainstream enough or criticizing their aritistic endeavours, he was speaking aloud about his frustrations that bands like Radiohead avoid embracing the audience... he said wouldn't it be amazing to hear more of Thom Yorke's voice on the radio or TV.

It would be amazing - but whose fault is it? The radio for prefering Fergie, or Radiohead for not tailoring their tunes to that audience?

Earnie Shavers said:

It would be amazing - but whose fault is it? The radio for prefering Fergie, or Radiohead for not tailoring their tunes to that audience?

He wasn't talking about tailoring the music. He was talking about why weren't the other big bands fighting for the biggest band. He also mentioned PJ and how they stopped making videos. He said nothing about how PJ or RH should make their art any differently, but why weren't they fighting to get it out there more...

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about...:|

But isn't the main reason Thom Yorke's voice isn't on the radio or TV is because they aren't considered mainstream enough?

Bono's shades said:

But isn't the main reason Thom Yorke's voice isn't on the radio or TV is because they aren't considered mainstream enough?

His whole argument was that bands like PJ, RH, U2, I think he may have even mentioned PJ Harvey... could reshape what was considered mainstream, not cater to...

love the Radiohead hype

BonoVoxSupastar said:

His whole argument was that bands like PJ, RH, U2, I think he may have even mentioned PJ Harvey... could reshape what was considered mainstream, not cater to...

:yes: It's not about catering or tailoring to the mainstream, it's about pushing your music out there. Which, as he also said, is one of the big reasons why, say, hip hop is where it is these days - they're not afraid to fight for their music to be heard.

I wouldn't download a U2 album - I prefer CDs to mp3 (or other formats), the booklet, the pictures...

But even within hip-hop the cream rarely rises to the top and most of the better artists in that genre suffer from the same quandary that a band like Radiohead would find themselves in over in the rock genre. If you are looking at most of the hip-hop that charts through the roof, whether it's JayZ or 50 Cent or even the Black Eyed Peas - they're the very, very pop end of hip-hop. Their cross genre peer is Avril Lavigne, not PJ Harvey. Maroon 5, not Radiohead. The hip-hop artists that are at the Radiohead end of the spectrum do have large, dedicated fan bases, do more than okay in sales, are critically lauded etc - but you'll never hear them on the radio and you'll never see them at the Grammy's and you'll never see them on MTV. They don't make video clips loaded with Cadillacs and scantily clad women. They don't write songs about fucking strippers while stoned on a private jet because life is so tough for a billionaire gangster, they don't have clothing labels and they don't guest on Timberlake and Stefani albums. They do push and sell themselves, but not using the formula you absolutely need to sit up there at the very top of the pile, to be the high rotation commercial FM/MTV artist - mostly because the music doesn't allow it.

I do understand Bono's point (this is the article it comes from: http://www.u2achtung.com/01/articles/article.php?id=109 ), but I don't quite get how/what he expects a change to come about whereby someone like Radiohead actually gets their songs on the radio alongside Fergilicious or whatever, if it's not by significantly shifting their music along with the 'heavy push'. Radiohead obviously know that. They push themselves very hard and very well, they just know the limitations their music creates for them and don't bother with anything outside those - it would be pretty fruitless. By the way, what was probably the biggest music news story of the past week? And how often did you hear about it, from how many different places? Radiohead dumping their new album out there for free was something I heard/read about on the radio, in the newspaper, on the music news website, on the general news website, from several friends and work colleagues etc etc etc. There are other things they could do - a video clip so brilliant or controversial it demands some airtime, performing more on the kind of tv shows that would have them - but in the end their music limits them, so they either have to shift the music, bring on David La Chappelle for the video clip and have Will.I.Am pop for a verse during the Grammy performance.... or let it be.

Pop and personality dominate, regardless of genre. Catchy throw away songs and an extra curricular lifestyle that is a fixture in celebrity reporting. The quickest way Thom Yorke could get Radiohead back on MTV would be to bed Britney Spears. Failing that, they'd need to overhaul everything to the core. I don't know if that's what Bono wants (perhaps, judging by U2's shift to the middle) or if he's just wishing for a brighter day for the popular music scene, but it's a pretty distinct black and white choice that you'd be making at the moment, and right at this second there are no names popping into my mind of artists who are succesfully stradling both worlds. I do wish someone would though, and I do think U2 are in a last grasp position to be a part of it, perhaps, but they can't go too far.

I think I wandered way off the point there.

Kanye West ? I see him on MTV and he's not your average type of hip hopper. Critically acclaimed and sells well. What's the problem ? :confused:

It can be done. Radiohead were all over MTV with Creep and got to the top with OK Computer. They were freakin no. 1 on the charts with Kid A, even without a video. Needless to say they're hardly your average radio/MTV material.

Last edited:
LemonMelon said:

Kid A only reached No. 1 because of following on the heals of OK Computer. Trust me, if Kid A had come after The Bends, it would not have debuted at No. 1, or probably wouldn't have even reached No. 1 at all.

This goes for all the albums after a band's breakthrough album:

The Joshua Tree didn't debut at No. 1, but Rattle & Hum sure did.

Same goes for Depeche Mode. Violator was the huge, breakthrough album, but the follow-up Songs of Faith and Devotion (a much lesser album) is the one that debuted at No. 1.

You could also do the same with Pearl Jam and Nirvana. It's always that albums AFTER the breakthrough album that top the charts.

So Kid A was not No. 1 in a vacuum. It had A LOT of help from the glory and hype of OK Computer.

I love Radiohead as much as the next guy, and I'm as super-freakin' excited about "In Rainbows" as anybody else . . . but jeez people! Radiohead didn't INVENT music!

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm not sure if it's the same quote, but I remember Bono saying that [U2] didn't want to be out there, all alone in the rock pantheon, putting on massive shows and being a big rock band all alone. From my memory he mentioned Radiohead and (at the time of their breakup) The Smashing Pumpkins. Or maybe it was Pearl Jam and Smashing Pumpkins. I definitely remember Smashing Pumpkins b/c I remember they were about to break up around that time and Bono said it made him sad.

That's something I remember, but I'm not sure if it's the same quote that everyone else here is talking about.

Wouldn't it seem a little pathetic if other bands suddenly started to imitade Radiohead by releasing their albums the same way?
It may seem revolutionary and courageous now because they are sort of pioneering this, but what if many other bands are following? I don't think U2 or any other artist will be applauded for it if they decided to do the same in a couple of years.

haha, a very good point!i can imagine they'd have a lot of explaining to do if they suddenly set up [newalbumname].com and started selling their music for download at whatever price exclusively through that site...:lol:

Although, I'm wholeheartedly against and frustrated by this whole digital download thing of Radiohead's, I've succumbed to my desire to hear new Radiohead, so I've put an order in for the digital download.

I'm not paying anything. I tried to, but they asked for a credit card, which I don't have and don't want, so I'm hearing it for free. No big deal, I'll defintely be purchasing the album as a proper CD release when it comes out, it's just I'll already know the tunes.

Same thing would happen if U2 went down the IN RAINBOWS path, though I seriously hope they don't, I'd still NEED to hear the album, so I'd download it for free.

last unicorn said:
I don't think U2 or any other artist will be applauded for it if they decided to do the same in a couple of years.

I don't get why you think other bands wouldn't be applauded if they released albums this way. I certainly would love to see the bands, instead of their record companies, get the bulk of the profits from their albums and if this is an efficient way to do that, it's all good to me.

Back
Top Bottom