New U2 Album For Free? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 09:15 AM
New U2 Album For Free?

im sure some of you have heard that radiohead are putting their new album online for free , or you can pay what you like if you wish.

i was wondering if u2 did the same with their new album would you pay? and if so how much?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:15 AM
really? Radiohead are releasing their new album on the internet for free you say?? I haven't heard that...

[/sarcasm]

If U2 were to do the same I would be fully intending to buy the physical CD as well so I probably wouldn't pay too much for the digital tracks if they were released first...

Maybe $5

Old 10-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:15 AM
Me too EUF...
Old 10-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:15 AM
First of all yes the downloads are "free" but once the album does come out and the CD will cost.

I don't see U2 doing a download only, plus they really don't have much of a choice since they actually have a record deal and RH don't.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:34 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

^^

and U2 are a commercially successful band so there would be no point in this
Old 10-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #6
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22
^^

and U2 are a commercially successful band so there would be no point in this
Radiohead does just fine. They can release an album as uncommercial as Kid A and have it reach #1.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Radiohead does just fine. They can release an album as uncommercial as Kid A and have it reach #1.
There have been a lot of #1 albums that haven't been succesful sales wise in the long run.

Not that numbers mean shit to me, but just claiming an album went #1 doesn't mean much.

I honestly don't know how comercially successful Radiohead are, but it seems like you wouldn't have an issue getting a record deal that you like if you were...
Old 10-02-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

There have been a lot of #1 albums that haven't been succesful sales wise in the long run.

Not that numbers mean shit to me, but just claiming an album went #1 doesn't mean much.
Well played, but it did go platinum quite easily. (most likely due to the Zooropa syndrome; an album that's successful simply because the band's name is on it)

OK Computer sold over 3 million worldwide, and Hail To The Thief also did very well.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:07 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

because it leaked on the internet beforehand
Old 10-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:15 PM
i can see U2 maybe mucking around with this Radiohead/many other bands-esque way of doing things but whereas Radiohead say it's up to you I hardly imagine U2 of all bands would opt for such a relaxed, generous approach...
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:15 AM
If I downloaded an album in a situation such as this I would probably pay between five and ten dollars. I figure that would be a decent amount considering they wouldn't have to cover the costs involved with the manufacture, packaging and physical distribution of an actual cd.

That amount actually goes for all artists. If a band I really loved (and wasn't huge) did it I might even pay a bit more.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:15 AM
i would buy it because i like collecting things and putting them on shelves.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
Refugee

The way U2 has let Interscope rip fans off in the last few years, I seriously doubt they will opt for such a strategy. They're into the money nowadays. I'm not sure I'd be able to resist myself, but they've abandonedd their anti-commercial ideals. Even their art has been compromised, though I hope the next album will be different.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:

And wouldn't you know that Bono has criticized Radiohead's recent artistic approach for not being mainstream enough -- for not making typical enough pop songs.

Radiohead deserves a world of credit because they may have reached number 1, but their record sales aren't anywhere near U2's albums and they could easily be so much greater if they dumbed it down and kept making "Creep". It wouldn't be artistically recognized, but they'd rake in way more profit. That's why I love them -- because they do what they love and not for major profit.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #15
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Muldfeld

And wouldn't you know that Bono has criticized Radiohead's recent artistic approach for not being mainstream enough -- for not making typical enough pop songs.

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about...

Bono wasn't criticizing Radiohead for not being mainstream enough or criticizing their aritistic endeavours, he was speaking aloud about his frustrations that bands like Radiohead avoid embracing the audience... he said wouldn't it be amazing to hear more of Thom Yorke's voice on the radio or TV.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:

Bono wasn't criticizing Radiohead for not being mainstream enough or criticizing their aritistic endeavours, he was speaking aloud about his frustrations that bands like Radiohead avoid embracing the audience... he said wouldn't it be amazing to hear more of Thom Yorke's voice on the radio or TV.
It would be amazing - but whose fault is it? The radio for prefering Fergie, or Radiohead for not tailoring their tunes to that audience?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers

It would be amazing - but whose fault is it? The radio for prefering Fergie, or Radiohead for not tailoring their tunes to that audience?
He wasn't talking about tailoring the music. He was talking about why weren't the other big bands fighting for the biggest band. He also mentioned PJ and how they stopped making videos. He said nothing about how PJ or RH should make their art any differently, but why weren't they fighting to get it out there more...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about...

But isn't the main reason Thom Yorke's voice isn't on the radio or TV is because they aren't considered mainstream enough?
Old 10-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's shades

But isn't the main reason Thom Yorke's voice isn't on the radio or TV is because they aren't considered mainstream enough?
His whole argument was that bands like PJ, RH, U2, I think he may have even mentioned PJ Harvey... could reshape what was considered mainstream, not cater to...
Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:15 AM
love the Radiohead hype

Quote:

His whole argument was that bands like PJ, RH, U2, I think he may have even mentioned PJ Harvey... could reshape what was considered mainstream, not cater to...
It's not about catering or tailoring to the mainstream, it's about pushing your music out there. Which, as he also said, is one of the big reasons why, say, hip hop is where it is these days - they're not afraid to fight for their music to be heard.

I wouldn't download a U2 album - I prefer CDs to mp3 (or other formats), the booklet, the pictures...