New theory on the 3rd Best of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
From atu2.com's Mat McGee Off the record column

"Here's more from the "stuff we didn't know until recently" file: There may not be a 3rd Best Of album.

I did an interview recently with...well, I'd rather not say who just yet. Let's just say "someone who would know these things," okay? Anyway, I've just finished transcribing the interview and it turns out that U2 is currently operating under a new record contract signed in 1999 -- a contract that supercedes both the 1993 6-album deal, and the 1998 contract that called for three Best Ofs to be released.

My interviewee recalled that, as part of the current record deal, Island Records may have a right to issue one more Best Of album, and it could include any material at all from the band's career -- '80s, '90s, '00s, you name it.

So while you might bet that Island will eventually take advantage of that right, it's apparently not a certainty that we'll see another U2 Best Of album.

(By the way, I'm hoping to have that interview online in the next week or so -- at least part of it. It's loooong.)"

1999 contract?

Anyone heard anything about it?

Well from what I recall, the original contract never specified 3 'best ofs'.

In fact I remember the talk about the possibilites of two best ofs and then a live album or unreleased tracks.

I just remember the contract being 3 compilations, with no specifics allowing for many possibilities...

I'm not sure.

But U2 themselves, in an interview with Interference, mentioned that they'd wrap it up with a third best of "because 'Walk On' and 'Elevation' need a home, right?"

Hmmmm......Gets kind of questionable when one starts saying:

I did an interview recently with...well, I'd rather not say who just yet. Let's just say "someone who would know these things," okay?

Gets thoughts of Fake Edge stirring... :huh: If it's going to be an interview that you're going to publish online, why not say who it is? You're gonna publish the name with the article, right? And if not, well, that's a pretty questionable interview. (And BigMacPhisto, as far as I know, the U2/Interference interview didn't...quite..happen [see my second sentence]--unless I'm thinking of the wrong one.)

Anyway....besides Best Ofs & compilations, I wonder how many regular albums the newest contract specifies.....:hmm:

This news begin to create the atmosphere for new album rumours, anyway, I think there will be a release like it has been said by Mat McGee, but I don't believe before the release of a brand new album. This sort of Best Of could be suitable around 2010 in my opinion

BonoVoxSupastar said:

In fact I remember the talk about the possibilites of two best ofs and then a live album or unreleased tracks.

I recall the talk being about a live album as well -- almost a Best Of the live stuff.

But this being U2, who the heck knows?

If this 1999 contract supercedes the 1998 "Best of" deal then why did they put out the 90-00 Best of in 2002? I'm not saying this isn't true, or anything, it just seems like that as of 4 years ago they were still prepared to put out a third Best Of, or else they wouldn't have split the ATYCLB songs like they did.

Make the final best of ,a best of live :wink: Gonna be u2's biggest selling album , will eventually beat Joshua Tree.

Back
Top Bottom