New single in September?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
According to atu2.com's Off the record:

"A new member of @U2's Forum posted a couple days ago about hearing from Dennis Sheehan (U2's tour manager) that the band is going to put out a new single in September. Skepticism is always in order with Internet rumors, but really ... this makes perfect sense. We already know that the Zoo TV DVD and the official book, U2 by U2, are coming out in September. Both of those are interesting to bigtime U2 fans, but maybe not as much to the casual fan. And neither will generate a whole lot of publicity buzz in music circles.

But a new single would do exactly that -- get the music people talking, get U2 front and center in the spotlight. A new single would help promote the book and the Zoo TV DVD. I also think that more Vertigo tour dates are coming, and this would give U2 even more momentum / buzz for expanding the Vertigo Tour -- but this part is pure speculation by me.

Lastly, a new single makes sense in light of the new song clip that hit YouTube last week. The story on that, from what we're told, is that Bono was with friends out on the terrace and turned up the music so the friends could hear it. The people in swimsuits looking toward the house are not U2 fans. Cedric, the guy who recorded the clip, had his battery run out and couldn't tape the whole song. (Justice?) "

:hmm:

Wishful thinking methinks. It would probabaly have been a strong internet rumour by now or at very least have been confirmed by official sources. Also I think it would well have hit the airwaves by now given that September is only 6 weeks away! Normally Radio stations have copies well in advance of any release dates. Thats my recollection of how its been done in past anyhow.
Good if its true tho!

I don't think it's out of the question, considering they probably would like to have something to throw out (besides a DVD and a book) before the next leg of the tour....9 months after the last leg ended...:ohmy:

New single in September is much more likely than a new album or even an EP in the end of the year. If this rumour is true, the song will be played for sure on the remaining dates.

could be true, sounds a bit like the time before electrical storm came out.
I really hope this is true and i think it is. Rumours are beginning to gain momentom, I think a new album or at least a single will be out for the next leg of the vertigo tour.

I'm about to give up on the idea of the red Ipod - it's been so long since we've heard anything & it's wasn't released with the other red products.. But, wouldn't the red ipod with a new video of a single called "Justice" (??) and maybe the ZooTV video be a very nice release... The book and the ipod would cross-sell each other all the way thru Christmas.

A new album by spring is looking more and more likely all the time.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

Why would that be? Even if this information about a single is true I dont get your theory? :scratch:

Because of the flurry of U2 activity, the fact that a new single is even being out there (which totally breaks the pattern U2 has been following), and because I just really think it's possible. :wink:

"By spring" would of course mean that it could come before that. I just didn't want to say "KNEW U2 ALbUMN in November" because that's just a little too positive, methinks. :wink:

LemonMelon said:

Because of the flurry of U2 activity, the fact that a new single is even being out there (which totally breaks the pattern U2 has been following), and because I just really think it's possible. :wink:

"By spring" would of course mean that it could come before that. I just didn't want to say "KNEW U2 ALbUMN in November" because that's just a little too positive, methinks. :wink:

:hmm: U2 has released a non album single called Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. Which would be similiar to what this is if true. U2's new album didnt occur until 2 years after that. :shrug:

IF, and thats a BIG if, they put out a single it is probably a song that is a leftover from the last sessions that they havent had to do much work on. So I dont think thats indicative that a new album is eminent. From the little bit that has been put on the net about what they have been doing in the studio recently. They are at the beginning stages of recording where they are simply jamming and Bono is improvising lyrics. That to me indicates they are nowhere near to putting out a full new album of completely new material.

New single in September?
Well, of course.
September 2009, that is.

Don't get your hopes up, folks. Remember when Atomic Bomb was supposed to be out in 2003?

djerdap said:
New single in September?
Well, of course.
September 2009, that is.

Don't get your hopes up, folks. Remember when Atomic Bomb was supposed to be out in 2003?

:madspit:

Its probably just the James Bond song.

They would probably mention that. :|

Blue Room said:

:hmm: U2 has released a non album single called Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me. Which would be similiar to what this is if true. U2's new album didnt occur until 2 years after that. :shrug:

Examples 2 & 3 - See "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands That Built America"

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I don't think it's out of the question, considering they probably would like to have something to throw out (besides a DVD and a book) before the next leg of the tour....9 months after the last leg ended...:ohmy:
especially the "9 months after the last leg ended" bit makes this rumour sound not that crazy

phillyfan26 said:

Examples 2 & 3 - See "Electrical Storm" and "The Hands That Built America"

Yeah, but 2 of these songs were on soundtrack albums and Electrical Storm was used to promote a "Best of" album. Key thought here being these songs were on albums.

If they were doing the theme to the new Bond movie, wouldn't we have heard something slightly official about it by now? Does anyone know where that rumor started? I can't remember anything posted about it other than fan speculation.
(ETA: I looked this up and found that according to this Tina Turner fan site: http://www.tinaturner.be/index.php , the tabloid "The Sun" took an interview with Barbara Broccoli, done by another media outlet back in march, and misquoted her to make a story about the theme being done by either U2 or Tina Turner. There is no merit to this rumor, apparently.)

A release of a single to promote a book makes no sense to me. "The Single" is all but dead in the US these days. However, to totally contradict myself here, I suppose we could be looking at an iTunes only release ala M.Stipe's "Around the Sun," though...

:shrug: I think it's important for us to keep in mind the part of the article where Matt said all of this was pure speculation on his part.

ETA#2: The thread Matt refers to in his piece claims the single will be out in September. He mentions a possibility of more material as well, but I have to take anything that starts with "I'm a close personal friend of so-and-so" on a message board with a large grain of salt, don't you?

Last edited:
The Beach clip doesnt sound like it's ready to be announced as a single.. no bass or drums?
It would either be OOTS or Mercy methinks

Back
Top Bottom