New single in September?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the a new single is very possible, I mean that need something to play at the book appearences. My guess would be that it's one of the songs that didn't make it on the HTDAAB album. Mercy seems like an album single more than a one shot. My guess, The Northern Star song we've heard about. If it is Johnny Cash-like than it could be played in a stripped down setting.

As for the album, I think that might be possible too. There was alot of material that wasn't put out from the sessions for HTDAAB. Plus, Bono said he's been writing like crazy and of course Edge is always writing. So it's possible. :yes:

MrBrau1 said:
I love the idea of the "one-off" single. It's become a lost art.

Jeez, The Beatles were probably the best at it.

:up:

September could very well be the best month of 2006. :lol:

Maybe they will do one song or even an entire EP for iTunes only before they tour. I can't really see them resuming touring after so long a layoff without having some new material.

Now that we have audio proof of at least 4 songs done (or close to done), this whole EP/album rumor is looking quite interesting.

I would love to see U2 step away for the traditional "go away for a while" and release a standard 11 song album every 3 years after letting the public appetite build to strategically determined levels. That way they could just take some of the pressure off themselves of having to sell 10 million copies of every album they make and just release three different-sounding 7-song EPs---1 per year. That would force a lot of the critics and naysayers to quiet down while also giving us maximum new and different songs.

bram said:
Now that we have audio proof of at least 4 songs done (or close to done), this whole EP/album rumor is looking quite interesting.

???? have you heard any of the snippets on the net? Man, if those are finished or even close, this album/EP is going to be very shakey. Bono doesnt even have real lyrics written yet and they sound like band jams, not structured songs. Its just amazing to me, internet rumor turns into fact. Yes, the band is/was in the studio. That does not mean an album is anywhere on the horizon. All you have to do is look at this bands history and its pretty obvious a new album already is very unlikely. I think everyone is setting up for a BIG disappointment. I'm skeptical about the single being released, but an entire album already. Come on. Are you going by what Bono has said? :laugh: He said similiar things right after the Elevation tour. Vertigo was due in 2003 according to Bono.

U2 works slowly and methodically in the studio. They work songs over and over and over. Getting an entire album done in such a short time frame (basically about 2 to 3 months is how long they have been in the studio this year) just does not happen with these guys. They have rushed one time in recent history, Zooropa. From what I have heard, they like that album but dont like rushing like that. So I wouldnt expect them to do that type of recording process again.

The only thing they could do is release songs that are from other sessions that didnt make the cut previously. (which is what HMTMKMKM and Electrical Storm were). But an entire new album with a new theme, direction and entire new songs just is not going to happen this quickly.

Of course I've heard them. How do you know Bono doesn't have real lyrics yet? And what makes you say they are not real structured songs? And do you realize that this is not one continuous running of the tape...that they were stops? So not all of each song was recorded.

And if you know anything about the band's history, you know they are VERY VERY private about their unfinished recordings. Salome sessions? October lyrics? Why would they start playing their "band jams" out where they KNOW that people can and will record them?

bram said:
Of course I've heard them. How do you know Bono doesn't have real lyrics yet? And what makes you say they are not real structured songs? And do you realize that this is not one continuous running of the tape...that they were stops? So not all of each song was recorded.

Wow, alright, from what I heard though I hope to God your wrong. If those are Bono's real lyrics :yikes: and if those sound like structured songs to you (even incomplete). This may be the U2 album in recent history that I dont care for.

Looking at U2's history, knowing how they work, and how long they typically take with new material. Do you honestly think a new album is eminent? You guys believe what you want. But this seems alot like Fantasyland IMO.

bram said:
And if you know anything about the band's history, you know they are VERY VERY private about their unfinished recordings. Salome sessions? October lyrics? Why would they start playing their "band jams" out where they KNOW that people can and will record them?

Are you serious? Fans could hear them playing outside their old studio in Dublin ALL the time. Dating back to Joshua Tree days.

Edit to say, you guys believe what you want. I'm not sure why I'm arguing about this. I almost hope you are wrong. When U2 rushes something, its typically not their best. I would rather they take their time and do it right.

Last edited:
That's different from playing recorded music that has had (at least as far as I can tell) some relatively significant mixing--this is not a recording of 4 guys playing live in a studio. And I'm definitely not saying your broader point is wrong--obviously they have a predictable trajectory they follow with every album...although Zooropa is a BIG exception. I think that the traditional cynicism and skepticism (which is still probably correct in this case) about when we'll get another album/here new finished music holds less weight now than ever. I don't think it's naive or wrong to hope for something to come out quite soon. I also don't think it's right to expect anything like that. Either way, there is at least enough evidence now where no one's opinion is stupid in regards to when they think new material will come out--whether it's in one month (new single) or 2.5 years. Both are pretty valid.

Ok, I see there are new samples out there on Exit. I'm downloading now, maybe I owe you an apology. I still think a new album is not coming anytime soon. But maybe I will change my mind.

Also, keep in mind that your opinion that the songs are terrible is one that I haven't heard from anyone else. Some others aren't particularly excited, but most think that these songs have some legitimate potential when they'll be heard as they're meant to be.

Oh! I didn't realize you hadn't heard the new songs--I am sorry as well.

Hmm, I would say it sounds like they are about the Hansa 1990 stage with the new album. Bono isnt singing coherent lyrics there. They are clearly listening to a tape back of some of their demo ideas that sound like they are just barely beyond the jam phase. So I still think the same thing I did before.

But they appear to be beyond the complete jam out phase at this point which is further along than I thought they would be. I would say Fall 2007 at the very earliest though for a new album. My money would be on a release in 2008 though.

The single thing is a possibility if they tie it to a movie or something.

Fair enough. Out of curiosity, how do you know that his lyrics are incoherent?

To me, the first song sounds farther along than Electrical Storm did when Bono gave it to Radio 1 (which is my fav version by the way). And that demo was only a few weeks away from the single release.

bram said:
Fair enough. Out of curiosity, how do you know that his lyrics are incoherent?

I ran it through the eq and its a little clearer. He is saying words, but its like the Hansa recordings where it is just to fill in for the vocal sound. Bono dubs it his own language (Bonogolese). Bono doesnt add the final lyrics or typically get solid lyrics down until the final phase of recording anyway. I dont think these songs are anywhere near the final phase, at least not from what I hear anyway.

Sorry I got a little carried away. Sometimes I let this stuff frustrate me for no reason. I guess I just hate to see people set themselves up for disappointment or when people run with complete rumor (not necessarily referring to this, other stuff as well on here).

Yeah, no worries...I just thought some hope was justified at this stage. But maybe not. Apparently there is an 18.5 minute segment out there somewhere.

I'm definitely familiar with Bonogolese, I just can't make out any part of it (regardless of whether or not its real english). I guess I (probably wrongly) assumed they were real lyrics because I thought they'd be more careful with the audio. Didn't Bono always say he was really embarrassed when the Axtung Beibi tapes leaked?

Here is the exact post which spawned this thread:

"Hi all, long time reader first time contributor here. I'm a close personal friend of Dennis Sheehan and I was asking him yesterday about the rumours of the band recording new material in France and Dublin.He told me that.....wait for it........There will be a new single released in September. That might not even be the end of it either. The band have been flying in recording and have churned out a lot of top quality material. Also, U2 by U2 will be launched in Sept with book signings in London and New York."

Link to entire thread:

http://forum.atu2.com/forum.src?Action=Posts&Subject=10597&Topic=32&SubjStart=

The 9 minute beach recording of 4 new tunes, kinda backs up his post.

Well September,mmm, isnt the new Bond film out in November, so its nothing to do with that, it would more than likely have been announced who was doing it then, maybe earlier.

Even though the idea of having a new single out by September is cool putting out a single to promote a 13 year old show being put on DVD and a book just seems kind of weird to me. Maybe I’m thinking in an old fashioned way but usually a single goes out to promote a new cd or a best of or something related with music being released (old, new or whatever). I hope it happens though.

But what I really wish it would happen is for them to put out an EP with 4 or 5 new songs. That would be the best and make more sense. That way that EP (not just a single) with its new songs would promote the new leg of the tour, the dvd and the book. It’s like an extra for making so many people wait for so long for this next leg and also simply to promote it since the album to witch this tour is from is out for a long time now. I think it would be much more effective and interesting to the fans. Not to mention that EPs are not very common anymore so that would be cool to just break the rules of music business of today a little.

Plus releasing an EP with a handful of songs might be good for the band creatively and help them evolve whatever new sound they are coming up with now.

Why would you want an EP for November? Then we'll have to wait another two years for a new album, since they'll have to start a new tour for promotion, something that takes a long while. :|

Besides, U2 isn't an EP band. The only EP's they've ever released were WAIA, Popheart, and 7. The only way I could see this working is if it's digitally released for iTunes. :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom