New Rattle & Hum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raydetect

The Fly
I personally love 7 songs on Rattle & Hum but everyone thinks it was a failure. I think that there were too many songs on it and it did not flow well. So I got rid of the live songs and added a couple of B Sides and came up with this setlest. How could anyone not love this album.

1. Heartland
2. Desire
3. Angel Of harlem
4. Love Rescue Me
5. Hallelujah Here She Comes
6. God Part II
7. A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
8. Hawkmoon 269
9. When Love Comes To Town
10. All I Want Is You
11. Van Diemen's Land

Anybody have any feeling on this new setlist?

Ok I added Van Diemen's Land.

Last edited:
Dave Evans sings Van Damiens Land, right?

I heard it on the movie for Rattle and Hum. Its damn good.

The Edge sings Van D's Land, I don't know who this Dave Evans feller is you're talkin bout' :wink:

I think the tracklisting is ok. But I'm one of the weirdos that kinda digs R&H? :reject: I like alot of the live tracks, and I think AIWIY is one of the best closers they've ever done for an album. But hey, that's all my completely biased opinion :D

catlhere said:
I like alot of the live tracks, and I think AIWIY is one of the best closers they've ever done for an album.

For once I agree with you. :wink: R&H is indeed very close to my heart. :heart:

LoL. I wonder when the last time someone called The Edge "Dave Evans" on this forum! Oh well.

I loved Rattle and Hum... the movie at least... and it has more tracks than the CD, right? So I think i'll love the CD!

Zootlesque said:

For once I agree with you. :wink: R&H is indeed very close to my heart. :heart:
80's/90's/00's diehards can truly all get along! :heart:

Weeee are the worrrrlllllllld.
Weee are the childreeeeen.

too much? :wink:

Problem: no She's A Mystery To Me.

I'd object to the lack of Slow Dancing and Wild Irish Rose too, but I'm not sure they were complete by the time RAH was pressed. I can only assume Wild Irish Rose was, but I've no idea about Slow Dancing except that it existed by Lovetown.

(She's A Mystery To Me was in substantial enough form to be recorded at Sun Studios in November 1987, so it was definitely ready in time for RAH.)

Another problem: Love Rescue Me is still there, and I'm not so keen on the track flow.

Axver said:
Problem: no She's A Mystery To Me.

I'd object to the lack of Slow Dancing and Wild Irish Rose too, but I'm not sure they were complete by the time RAH was pressed. I can only assume Wild Irish Rose was, but I've no idea about Slow Dancing except that it existed by Lovetown.

(She's A Mystery To Me was in substantial enough form to be recorded at Sun Studios in November 1987, so it was definitely ready in time for RAH.)
Yeah, it's really a shame we don't have good studio versions from this period for those songs. They'd really pick the album up and give us more to work with; as it is, we're kind of stuck including stuff like "Love Rescue Me" and "A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel" for lack of more original material from these sessions...

Maybe with some clever editing, you could get the Point Depot version of "She's A Mystery To Me" to sound good enough. That'd make Rattle and Hum even more like Let It Be (another endlessly reconfigured album).

I also wish we had a nice clean version of "Van Diemen's Land"; it's short enough as it is without having to cut more out to get the crowd noise and interview bit out with decent fades.

And I could never decide if "Heartland" belonged more on a revisionist Joshua Tree or a revisionist Rattle and Hum.

How about:
  1. "Hawkmoon 269"
  2. "Van Diemen's Land"
  3. "Desire"
  4. "Love Rescue Me"
  5. "Hallelujah, Here She Comes"
  6. "Heartland"
  7. "God (Part II)"
  8. "Angel of Harlem"
  9. "When Love Comes To Town"
  10. "A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel"
  11. "All I Want Is You"
Well, I dunno, all I'm sure of is that I like "Hawkmoon 269" as an opener and "All I Want Is You" as a closer.

Last edited:
I believe the first time that U2 performed She's A Mystery To Me was 2 days before the year 1990. So Rattle & Hum would've already been out. And I don't think it was a b-side.

All I Want is You was bumped up one slot cause I feel Van Diemen's Land is better as last. Kinda like Johnny Cash singing the wanderer on Zooropa.

But anyway, my point was that Rattle & Hum got a bad rap. There are plenty of excellent songs on there.

And I LOVE the live songs too. I went with the studio aspect of a complete album.

Last edited:
"She's A Mystery To Me" was written for Roy Orbison, who recorded it before he died in late 1988. So earlier than that, at least. There are probably interview segments and such that place it earlier than that, which is probably what Axver was referring to.

I don't think we know if they recorded a version of it themselves or not, but if they have, we haven't heard it.

Last edited:
Typhoon,

I like your setlist too. I love Hawkmoon 269 as an opener. And I could definitely keep All I Want is You as the closer. I could put Heartland somewhere in the middle.

Last edited:
Then the second disc could be:
  1. "Helter Skelter"
  2. "Exit" / "Gloria"
  3. "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For"
  4. "Silver and Gold"
  5. "All Along the Watchtower"
  6. "In God's Country"
  7. "Bad" / "Ruby Tuesday" / "Sympathy for the Devil"
  8. "Where the Streets Have No Name"
  9. "MLK"
  10. "One Tree Hill"
  11. "With or Without You"
  12. "The Star-Spangled Banner" / "Bullet the Blue Sky"
  13. "Running To Stand Still"
  14. "Sunday, Bloody Sunday"
  15. "Pride (In the Name of Love)"
(Same as the movie 'cept with the "One Tree Hill" they cut out and ended up putting on the Best of 1980-1990 VHS.)

Last edited:
my perfect rattle and hum would be a two-disc set, like it was when it was released (it was released on two vinyl records at the time). one disc of live material, one disc of studio material. the back and forth between the two just doesn't flow.

live:
1. where the streets have no name
2. in god's country
3. running to stand still
4. all along the watchtower
5. silver and gold
6. sunday bloody sunday
7. the star spangled banner/bullet the blue sky
8. one tree hill
9. exit
10. bad

studio:
1. desire
2. she's a mystery to me
3. hawkmoon 269
4. dancing barefoot
5. angel of harlem
6. a room at the heartbreak hotel
7. when love comes to town (the version from the movie, not the album version :no: )
8. hallelujah here she comes
9. all i want is you

the studio tracks i took off can now be used as b-sides :wink:

Rattle & Hum is the next one for me. I have already heard four (Desire, When Love Comes to Town, Angel of Harlem and All I Want is You) and I have to say that I far prefer the live versions of these.

Angel of Harlem studio I feel is missing something, WLCTT is good but I enjoy the DVD's version more, Desire is fine studio, but AIWIY I love live.

The DVD is great. One question about it though - the snippets during Bad are Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil. I assume the Ruby Tuesday snippet is "Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday, who could hang a name on you," and by the Stones, but where is the Sympathy for the Devil snippet? Is it "You know I'm pleased to meet you, I hope you guess mjy name?" Who is it by?

Apologies if that post is confusing to read. I had too many thoughts in my head.

I Absolutely Love the double disc idea. The 2nd disc is all live material. Now that kicks ass!!

I have to make a playlist on itunes and see how it flows.

COBL... The Rolling Stones also sing Sympathy For the Devil

KhanadaRhodes said:
maybe it's just my opinion, but if you haven't actually heard the whole album, i don't think you should be posting in this thread.
I think it's cute how he keeps calling the movie "the DVD," though.

I'm listening to the track listing I made right now, and man, "Love Rescue Me" just kills the flow no matter where you put it.
Raydetect said:
Hey Typhoon, I put together our 2 disc setlist except for One Tree Hill. I don't have it. Can You email me or post it?
I only have it on tape, unfortunately.

Typhoon

Move Love Rescue me to #6 after Heartland. It seems to work there. Then God part II kind of picks the tempo back up again.

typhoon said:
I think it's cute how he keeps calling the movie "the DVD," though.
:lmao: yeah, i have to agree.

typhoon said:
I'm listening to the track listing I made right now, and man, "Love Rescue Me" just kills the flow no matter where you put it.
yeah, that's one of the reasons i didn't include it in my track listing. and because it's one of the worst U2 songs ever.

Raydetect said:
Move Love Rescue me to #6 after Heartland. It seems to work there. Then God part II kind of picks the tempo back up again.
Yeah, that's probably a good idea, I'll try it.
KhanadaRhodes said:
yeah, that's one of the reasons i didn't include it in my track listing. and because it's one of the worst U2 songs ever.
Or maybe I'll try that.

Oh, and:
COBL_04 said:
The DVD is great. One question about it though - the snippets during Bad are Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil. I assume the Ruby Tuesday snippet is "Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday, who could hang a name on you," and by the Stones, but where is the Sympathy for the Devil snippet? Is it "You know I'm pleased to meet you, I hope you guess mjy name?" Who is it by?
Yeah, that's it, and it's also a Stones song. You'd probably recognize it if you heard it.

Last edited:
Hey you guys don't have to knock COBL 04 for asking a question. Remember there are no dumb questions.

Raydetect said:
I believe the first time that U2 performed She's A Mystery To Me was 2 days before the year 1990. So Rattle & Hum would've already been out. And I don't think it was a b-side.

U2 first played She's A Mystery To Me live on 30 December 1989, yes. HOWEVER, it most certainly existed in November 1987. How do I know? Studio and soundcheck recordings. The full song, albeit with some lyrical differences to its 1989 form, existed by the time U2 visited Sun Studios. Angel Of Harlem from those sessions is on the RAH movie.

KhanadaRhodes said:
maybe it's just my opinion, but if you haven't actually heard the whole album, i don't think you should be posting in this thread.

Agreed. You can't really comment on an album if your knowledge of it extends only so far as fragments of it from a Best Of compilation.

As far as alternate tracklists go, I'd like this as a studio-only edition:

1. Hawkmoon 269
2. Desire
3. Dancing Barefoot*
4. God Part II
5. When Love Comes To Town
6. Angel Of Harlem
7. Van Diemen's Land
8. Heartland
9. She's A Mystery To Me**
10. All I Want Is You

*I know it's a cover, but it's just so good.
**Full studio version, 1989 lyrics.

The only problem is the transition from Angel Of Harlem to She's A Mystery To Me. The only viable solution I really have for that is to move SAMTM so that it's between AOH and VDL. Heartland flows into AIWIY just as well as SAMTM.

Raydetect said:
Let's here them Axver

Can't help you with the Sun Studios version, but I'll see if the soundcheck's on my computer.

I just moved, so if I only have it on CD, who knows where the hell it is!

Back
Top Bottom