New Lanois release/download

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahittle

Refugee
Interesting article here at Paste

I dig his other solo stuff, so I'm enthused about this. Now, didn't somebody mention that Edge is on there somewhere?

Big-ups on making it available at CD quality sound. Let the people compress it how they see fit.

ahittle said:
Interesting article here at Paste

I dig his other solo stuff, so I'm enthused about this. Now, didn't somebody mention that Edge is on there somewhere?

Big-ups on making it available at CD quality sound. Let the people compress it how they see fit.
Yeah I'm really looking forward to these releases as well, especially since his solo work is so hard to find here.
I think it was I who posted the information about The Edge in another thread.

The_Edge89 said:
I was just thinking that if The Edge is influenced by Daniel or get some inspiration from him on the new U2 album then I would be really excited.

Here's some interesting comments from the official Lanois discussion board:
Where will I be? - Lanois mentioned in his 2003 Brussels or London concert that he would like to get The Edge to contribute some guitars to the recording for the new CD.
This website confims that this track will be on Daniels new album, due for digital release on December 15th: http://www.redfloorrecords.com/HereIsWhatIs.htm

And you can listen to it here:
Daniel Lanois - Where Will I Be?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewaS2RrxQiA

Do you think this could be the sound of molten metal? :ohmy:

By the way....can anyone tell me about the WAV vs. MP3 format being offered for this download?? All I really want to do is download it and put it on iTunes (so I can then put it on my iPod). Do both formats work for this? Is one better for iTunes over the other?

I'm concerned that I'll buy the album and not know how to make any necessary digital conversion (if any). Please fill me in if you can. Thanks

Knuckle said:
By the way....can anyone tell me about the WAV vs. MP3 format being offered for this download?? All I really want to do is download it and put it on iTunes (so I can then put it on my iPod). Do both formats work for this? Is one better for iTunes over the other?

I'm concerned that I'll buy the album and not know how to make any necessary digital conversion (if any). Please fill me in if you can. Thanks

Both formats should work for this according to Apple's own support pages as long as the Wav isn't compressed:

iPod can play songs encoded with these codecs:
Compatible codecs
* MP3 (from 32 Kbps to 320 Kbps)
* MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR)
* WAV (with no compression)
* AIFF *

* The following require iPod software 1.3 or later:
o M4A AAC *
o M4P AAC (Protected) *
o M4B AAC (iTunes Store Spoken Word files) *
* The following require iPod software 2.2 or later or iPod mini 1.1 or later:
o Apple Lossless Encoder

'Here Is What Is' is the the first song I have heard of Lanois' solo stuff and now I understand his influence on U2's sound. I liked the guitar on this track and would like to hear a similar guitar sound on the new record. Not a bad tune either, I could imagine Bono singing this, just like I could imagine Lanois singing Grace or One Step Closer.

Knuckle said:

If you want to put it on your iPod, the MP3 is probably best. WAVs have a huge file size as they are uncompressed.

When I try to put wav files into my iTunes, it automatically converts them to MP3. I don't know if that's a specific setting I selected at some point or not.

Am a big fan of Lanois's solo stuff. Have been since mid eighties. Looking forward to this release.

Last edited:
Thanks to all those who gave me the requested technical advice (MP3 vs. WAV).

I'm off now to download both the new "Here is What Is" album and the older "For the Beauty of Wynona" album. It's the only Lanois record I don't have. It hasn't been available for years, but I just discovered it is now available on his website.

The best news I've heard about the new U2 record is that Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno are heavily involved (to the extent that they'll be given writing credits for the first time on the new record). Those two are responsible for some really creative and beautiful sounds in the last several decades. I'm hoping they take the new U2 record to someplace "out there"; and, I hope it takes me a long time to find my way back from wherever it is they take us.

Back
Top Bottom