New fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
I'm curious

who here is a new fan?

like in the past couple years?

how many albums have you heard? what have you not heard?

have you heard many of the b sides?

if you say no for the last question I would like to direct you to a little ditty called "Lady With The Spinning Head" which should have replaced Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World as an A Side,

I?ve been a fan for about a year, ever since one of my friends shoplifted boston2001 and didn?t have anything to do with it. I got it and watched it over and over again. Since then I have bought all of the DVD?s and all the albums and downloaded all the B sides and remixes, and I?ve also got a fairly collection of bootleg concerts.

And as for our last statement - although LWTSH is a more upbeat song than TTTYAATW I think the latter is the better choice for the A side because right at that point the album needs to slow down, you see it can?t be all hard rock or else it would all sound like a wall of sound-way too similar esp LWTSH which is basically ?the fly? with different lyrics and a slightly different musical progression. (The solo is lifted directly off ?the fly? esp) Think Beautiful day-Always

steak said:
I?ve been a fan for about a year, ever since one of my friends shoplifted boston2001 and didn?t have anything to do with it. I got it and watched it over and over again. Since then I have bought all of the DVD?s and all the albums and downloaded all the B sides and remixes, and I?ve also got a fairly collection of bootleg concerts.

And as for our last statement - although LWTSH is a more upbeat song than TTTYAATW I think the latter is the better choice for the A side because right at that point the album needs to slow down, you see it can?t be all hard rock or else it would all sound like a wall of sound-way too similar esp LWTSH which is basically ?the fly? with different lyrics and a slightly different musical progression. (The solo is lifted directly off ?the fly? esp) Think Beautiful day-Always

yeah, I know the whole fly thing. But it's definitly not as close as always and beautiful day

the hook is just so damn catchy

la la la la la lady with the....etc...

anyway.
anyone who actually haven't heard all the albums and bsides?

ive been casual fan since 97, hardcore fan since 01. the material i havent heard are b-sides that didnt make either 'best of' b-sides discs, the entire 'R & H' outtakes, AB stolen sessions in its entirety, 'Holy Joe', plus under the radar stuff that didnt get on the albums. i'd appreciate a list, if not a link to see what songs i haven't heard yet that fall in these categories i just mentioned/ how and where to get them too :wink: thanks

Basstrap said:
I'm curious

who here is a new fan?

if you say no for the last question I would like to direct you to a little ditty called "Lady With The Spinning Head" which should have replaced Trying to Throw Your Arms Around the World as an A Side,

19/female/college junior here :wave: I entered the ranks of super-fandom in *counts backwards* 2001. So I missed the promo and tour for ATYCLB b/c I was just starting to get into the band as they were finishing the last leg (although I was totally into BD when it came out and that gradually sparked my interest). I'm always kicking myself b/c I was passing through Atlanta for spring break during the first leg and I was in NYC for a relief project when U@ was there in Oct, 2001. I've heard all the albums and October is the one I know the least with UF, War, and Pop being my current favorites. I've heard the B-sides and own a lot of singles. I've got around 200 U2 cds, obviously concert bootlegs. I also agree wholeheartedly with your closing statement b/c TTTYAATW happens to be my absolute least favorite U2 song. Lady... is a great song and I think I'd ever prefer it over Ultraviolet (though I love UV live).

Last edited:
was Slow Dancing on the best of b sides.?..i can't remember

There's a version with bono singing and a version with Willie Nelson

See if you can find Springhill Mining Town
it's about a town in Nova Scotia, if my memory serves me right

There's an awesome studio produced cover of I Can't Help Falling In Love (Elvis) where bono where lays on some falsetto. This might be really hard to find though,,mostly there's just live covers from zoo tv

haha... that's very interesting... and scary in some way... because I still think about myself as about "a new fan"... and the first post here made me realise that for maaaany people I'm actualy an "old fan"... I probably think like that because this new album is going to be "only" their 3rd with me being their fan...

I'm a U2 fan since 1995 (I was 12 at the time)... HMTMKMKM was the reason of it, I was listening to the song all the time and I still listen to it very often.

During the rest of 1995 and the wole 1996 I was buying all their records... in backward order: Zooropa>Achtung Baby>R&H>JT>...>Boy
Strange, yes... specialy buying R&H before JT, but it worked for me.

Then there was 1997 and POP finaly came...
I realy was a child of the 90's with AB and Zooropa being my favorite albums, so POP was a real heaven for me... "raw" guitar, clear drums, strong bass... and alittle electronic sounds to make "a salad";) even better.

*waves to "new fans"*

...almost 4 years after "pop" - came ATYCLB...
I realy - as a fan - can't explain what this record is all about.
All I can say is that I didn't "WANT" this kind of album... but in some way I "NEEDED" it... hope it makes sense at least for some of you reading this.
I realy like this album... just in diferent way than others...
The only problem I had at that time, was all this POP bashing from both fans and from the band... only the thought about it makes me angry...
----------
Collection: all albums, all VHS (except for "Numb"), all DVDs, all singles from POP era, all singles from ATYCLB era, EBTTRT single and remixes, One - single, MW - single... a few bootleg concerts... probably all B-side (also those, that were not on the 'best of' CDs) songs as MP3s (Boomerang, Paint it Black, Fortunate Son, Can't help falling... etc)... and all (I think) Bono's solo songs, duets without the band etc. (from Live Aid to Mick Jagger, songs like Billy Boola, Sweet Fire of Love, Testimony, Slide Away...ETC)

BTW - I have a MP3 "Tommorow - 1996's version"... does anyone know what's the story behind it? was it made for some movie or something like that?

Basstrap said:
I'm curious

who here is a new fan?

I became a hardcore fan in august 2001. I collected all the albums with in two months, many of the singles and started collecting bootlegs. Now I moved into collecting the records even though I don't have a record player. I attending four shows in the fall of 2001 and knew I was hooked for life.

I'm fan since 2000, so, I'm a new fan

I have all albums, I've heard all (or almost) b-sides

:shrug:

sometimes I feel like I've always liked U2
but I only got hooked when pop came out or shortly after...like 1998
so I'm pretty new to the scene as well

I remember seeing With or Without You when I was really young...and I thogh tit was boring

sad times

Since 2001

i saw u2 for the 1st time when the elevation tour came to philly. my mom and aunt got tix and i went. i had the best of 80-90 thats it. when i got home i was downloading bootlegs and every month purchased a cd, dvd, single...... saw them on the 3rd leg as well. being 15 at the time now 17 its not the type of music poeple my age like, but i grew up on blues and rock. some like it.

i became a fan in 2000 when atyclb came out... i was only 13 then.

my brother however is 12 years older than me, and he's been a u2 nut since achtung baby, so i had been familiar with u2.

atyclb came out, and i was like hey, this is pretty good and became a fan. then i wound up going to 6 elevation tour concerts, my brother went to 11 i believe. i was at 6/2 albany, 6/3 hartford, 6/21 east ruthersford, 10/28 east ruthersford and 10/30,31 providence. obviously since then ive become a full fledged nut.

i've heard all the albums, heard all the bsides, recorded my own concert in a pretty sweet way grabbing the in ear monitor signals, but thats a different story altogether.

anyway, my favorite album is pop and i remember liking discotheque when i was 10 and it came out cuz i thought the video was funny ,but it winds up being my favorite song after all this. :shrug:

I'm fan since POP, my parents divorced and I searched my happiness in U2 music, I was only 10 yo, Now I'm 17 and spending almost all my money into U2! I Have all Albums, all DVD's, alot of singles, and about twenty bootlegs. I've only been to one concert (Elevation Tour in Arnhem).

And Lady With The Spinning Head is simply awesome!

bathiu said:

I'm a U2 fan since 1995 (I was 12 at the time)... HMTMKMKM was the reason of it, I was listening to the song all the time and I still listen to it very often.

Oh see, I really liked the song (I was 13 at the time) but didn't do more than like it, didn't find out more about U2, all I knew was that there was a band called U2, but that was all I could tell you.

I was a fan of Chris Kattan, most famous for "Saturday Night Live" and I caught a fan chat thing where he said he was a fan of U2.

"oh yeah, U2, I've heard the name before." Again, didn't really find out more about them, (this was 1998).

I saw the "Beautiful Day" video, liked the song, and found out it was U2, that's when I started becoming a fan. (around November/December 2000).

However the first U2 CD I got was their best of 1980-90. I picked that over ATYCLB because I wanted to start off with a compilation, get a feel for their music.

I wasn't really "into" music until late in high school. :shrug:

I've amassed all U2 studio albums, and best ofs--1980-90 and 1990-2000 both with the b-sides. I have 2 copies of Unforgettable Fire because I got one as a gift, my mom's ex, didn't know I had it, ( I hadn't really spoken to him in a while at the time).

Under a blood red sky and Wide awake in america EP's.

Video/DVD--zoo Tv, popmart, best of 1990-2000, Rattle and hum, Elevation-Boston and Slane, and that "making of" Joshua Tree video.

6? singles with various b-sides and live versions.

(I saved *a lot* of birthday money, and got a job since 2000 ;) )

Last edited:
Herco said:
I'm fan since POP, my parents divorced and I searched my happiness in U2 music, I was only 10 yo, Now I'm 17 and spending almost all my money into U2! I

wow! i just realised pop is 7 years old! i used to think of myself as a fairly recent fan, after that just clicked i realised i've been a fan for 8 years now - sure its not long in terms of all the u2 i missed before i became hooked but its still quite a while.

otherwise, welcome to the really new fans, what took you guys so long!!
:) :) :)

I'm a casual fan since Miss Sarajevo in ... 1996? And a not-quite-hardcore-but-will-be-soon fan since Beautiful Day in 2001. Because of my money-saving ways I don't own all the albums - I don't have Boy, JT, or Zooropa. I've not heard Boy and Zooropa ... I sort of wanted to pace things out and really appreciate U2 over a few years, like all those lucky people who became fans right from the start! And because of crappy computers which I've owned I wasn't brave enough to download too much. The only b-sides I've heard then are the ones on the Best of 1990-2000 (I didn't get the b-sides with 1980-1990, which I'm annoyed about because I love love love Everlasting Love). And yes, I agree that LWTSH is a much better song than TTTYAATW!

Basstrap said:
sometimes I feel like I've always liked U2
but I only got hooked when pop came out or shortly after...like 1998

Same.

For me they were always peripheral, and passively liked, up until that time.

And Springhill Mining Disaster is one of my favourites.

:up:

Back
Top Bottom